Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

we were given a nice 2# block of "expensive" 2 year old aged cheddar cheese

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited December 2017 in Off Topic
But seeing that Pat never eats cheese I want to save what I can't eat in the weeks to follow and enjoy it as best I can. When I GOOGLED the freezing info it didn't look too promising - saying cheddar will turn crumbly. OTOH I wonder if saving it in a Food Saver vacuum bag may mean better results. What do you guys/gals say or recommend?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I’d food saver it. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited December 2017
    I’d food saver it. 
    Agreed.  What’s the alternative, Losing it to spoilage? 

Maybe save a portion in the fridge if you think you’ll eat it in time.  But crumbly cheese > no cheese

edit: I guess I’m wrong 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    It's already aged 2 years. You don't need to freeze it to keep it, just put it in the fridge, vac seal in portions consumable.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Get yourself an overcoat and a nice street corner and start hawking cheese.
    Mountain View, CA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    DMW said:
    It's already aged 2 years. You don't need to freeze it to keep it, just put it in the fridge, vac seal in portions consumable.
    Dwayne, maybe you can educate me.  Will a food saver provide an adequate vacuum for this? I’ve been under the impression that a food saver is only marginally better squeezeing the air from a ziplock. Whereas, a higher end chamber sealer would prolong life considerably.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • What @DMW said, cut it into the portion size you are comfortable with, wrap with plastic/Saran wrap and FoodSaver it. Will last for months in the fridge. 
    The less finger contact with the cheese the better. 
    I’ve had 2 year old Balderson last over 9 months. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Agree with food saver we buy cheese in bulk and divide and seal it.  Use as needed with just the 2 of us sometimes it’s months before we finish some cheese and the last is as good as the first.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    johnnyp said:
    DMW said:
    Dwayne, maybe you can educate me.  Will a food saver provide an adequate vacuum for this? I’ve been under the impression that a food saver is only marginally better squeezeing the air from a ziplock. Whereas, a higher end chamber sealer would prolong life considerably.
    You could just wrap it in foil and it would be fine. There might be some slight mold you would need to trim away, but that's it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    johnnyp said:
    DMW said:

A food saver sucks more than @JohnInCarolina

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You'll never eat 2 pounds of cheese before it goes bad.  I would blend in a blender with water to convert back to milk, which freezes just fine.
    Cut it in half. Eat half yourself over the coming weeks. Smoke the other half and then make some killer Mac&Cheese. Everybody eats Mac&Cheese.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I put it in a larger than necessary vac bag, seal it up and store it in the fridge. Open and take what I need, then reseal. Haven't lost any yet.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Woodchunk said:
    Cold smoke it and then use it to make this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlI_bLN0KfE
    The shot of the buzzard was a nice touch in a cooking video.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    edited December 2017
    Make big quantities of Mac and cheese and hold a party.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Ron, from experience.... you can freeze cheddar assuming you'll be using it for grated application later on otherwise it will be crumbly!

Food Saver/Vacuum Sealed will prolong the cheese a bit longer.

Take some and freeze it for grating later (or grate it and freeze it)
    Take some and smoke it and vacuum seal it
    Take some and vacuum seal it
    Take some and eat it!

Honk if you love Cheeses

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM