Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O/T ! Name for our English Bulldog Pup?. Am I wrong here...OT

Options
ok ...I am absolutely confident that u folks will tell me if I am wrong.....
First off ,and of most importance....I hope you and your  family had a safe and wonderful Christmas!!
NOW... 
We are about to bring an English bulldog pup into our family.

on background.... We had "Ike"... An English bulldog that looked more like UGA ...than UGA himself did....for 11 years...if u don't know who UGA is , I understand ,and please feel free to quit reading this.

Losing him 2 years ago was very difficult for our entire family. Over 11 years, 3-4 times a year ,we timed our stops between Florida and the NC mountains to insure a pit stop in Athens Georgia. Ike taking a leak literally stopped traffic on college station road.
i suspect that he was also the only English bulldog to pee on the field at the Swamp (hallowed ground) at UF. True story, Go Gators!
add to that our 4 year grandaughter still asks and talks about him,that says it all.

so fast forward to to today. Although we swore we never would,  We are ready to bring another bulldog into our family. We are about to leave the 79 degree and sunny weather in Florida to go to north Georgia and look at a female English bulldog pup. I think I have my wife of 37 years convinced we should name her  "Videlia" . Is that the perfect name or what?
if you haven't heard that particular Sammy Kershaw song you should utube it. If you don't know who Sammy Kershaw is please feel free to quit reading this.
i wish all of you and your family a safe and wonderful new year. 
Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
BGE  medium and minimax
HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I like the name buzz. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    It’s Vidalia, if you don’t know how to spell it....
    Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Ike was definitely a winner but given the female , what about Ikette or is that too close to home? 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I think that’s a pretty cool name. 
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Dobie said:
    It’s Vidalia, if you don’t know how to spell it....
    Absolutely correct, my fat fingers done me wrong.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Just poking at ya, I always kept dog names two syllables but that’s pretty cool. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I know who Sammy Kershaw is.  

EDIT:  If I acquired a female English Bulldog, I'd name her Oprah or Camilla (but I'm mean like that, and have no background in Deep South tradition (we-e-e-ell, I am from South.....  Dakota!)).  
    My last two Corgis were named Brutus and Cassius; very few cute girls got the connection.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    That's a perfect name.  I voted for Sammy when he ran for lieutenant governor about ten years ago.  
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Georgia P Burdell has a nice ring to it. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Love the name. Just hate the thought of the poor fellow being a gator fan! Absolutely awesome and beautiful dawgs. Unfortunately their lifespan is typically way too short. Got any pictures of Ike you wouldn’t mind sharing? Also look forward to the pics of Vidalia.
    Snellville, GA

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Will she be your queen of the double wide trailer with the polyester curtains and the redwood deck?  ;) 

Love the name!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Was always partial to Talulah, but Vidaliah is also cool.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I like Vidalia!  It's a "sweet" name.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    The best name is the one that sits well with you and your family.

If it was me, she’d be Bully McBullFace.  ;)

Congrats on the addition to the family.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Vidalia is a wonderful name for an English Bulldog, with Georia ties. 

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    I’m digging it

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,897
    Options
    How about Muga, for my UGA??
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I've never tried to name our dogs until I had a chance to see them and see what kind of names pop into my head. Our last agility Sheltie that I found was black and white and had a small streak of white just to the back of her head.  She is officially "Jolar Girls Just Want To Go Run" but we have called her Zap from the very beginning because of that white streak!

I think Videlia (s/c) is a great name with "Vi(e)" being a great call name! That being said, when you see her you may come up with something totally different!

Best of luck with your trip to the hinterlands and with your new puppy!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,172
    Options
    I am going to disagree with Vidalia, or Videlia or any other variation, and I don't have a clue who Sammy Kershaw is. 
    Since you spend part of your time near Sapphire Valley, I think a fitting name would be Sapphire. You could call her Saphy for short, and the name would be more fitting than that of an onion. The regional tie in makes sense to me.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Well heck, if your first bulldog was Ike, then the female has to be Mamie.

We've had 2 English Bulldogs, Penny and Lilly. Best damn dogs ever.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    If the first was Ike, shouldn't this one be named Tina?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    onions are poisonous to dogs, what are you thinking =) im good with yelling vee though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I like one syllable names hence my dog is Max. Makes it easier to call them, but it's your dog name what you like. The best name I ever heard was Justin Wilson named his dog Fideaux.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,172
    Options
    Got a neighbor with a dog named Deeogee. Many, many years ago my grandparents had a couple of dogs named Boy and Girl.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    My first dog was a German Shepherd named Girl. I learned how to walk by hanging on to her shoulder.
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    My grandpa called every dog he had Jigs
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    You could call her Joan (of arc).  Sammy Kershaw rules!

https://www.southernliving.com/culture/pets/best-dog-names#dog-playing-in-stream-dog-names

Check out this article.  It's a wonder what you can find out there.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    As long as you don't pronounce it like Bobby Flay does then I'd say you have a winner. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Thanks to all of u for your comments and ideas. Happy new year to you , and I hope you and your families have a safe and wonderful new year.
    after suffering through the holiday traffic on interstate 75 , and temperatures colder than a witches' mammory gland  here in the mountains  of western NC, we visited what we thought might be our " Vidalia ". We travelled to the north Georgia town of Bumchuck ....the name says it all!
    altough probabily a good pup, I am pretty sure this "purebred" English bull had some cockapoo in her family linage. Although i have no degree in the veterinary sciences...this one looked like it had relatives at Florida State University.
    so the search continues...
    we are headed back  to "Fladah"  on Satuday. To include a stop in Athens Georgia to show respect to UGA and the outstanding college football team there with an empty kennel and a emptier heart. 
    GO Dawgs... Just be aware the Gators will be back....still hoping Tebow has a nephew out there!

BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    A guy I work with named his new dog "Gary"...Thought that was odd, now its just funny..

"Damnit Gary, get in the house!!"
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga