Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WINTER coming

For those who live in climates that freeze, you may experience a problem with opening the dome in freezing weather. The gasket gets wet and retains water, from either a smoke or the rain, and then freezes with the upper and lower gasket frozen together. Trying to force the egg to open will cause a separation between the gasket and the dome, requiring a whole new gasket which is not a good idea to try to do in cold weather.
I have prevented this by using a layer of aluminum foil 360 degrees around over the lower gasket. It will prevent the freezing between the upper and lower gasket and allow you to easily open and use the BGE in the winter.

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Or a golf tee, as @DoubleEgger uses
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Winter has hit us hard this year. It’s already down in the 70’s. We usually don’t see such harsh weather until mid January. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    I'm in the foil camp but perhaps the air gap from the golf-tee doesn't inhibit the shutdown process too much??  Anyone?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I soak my gaskets with Zerox antifreeze, using my pig injector; no problems!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    I do nothing as its been in the 80's lately and it might get into the 70's in the next couple of weeks...winter in Central Florida!
    O-Town, FL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Rutland gasket, base only. Or dome I suppose. Mine is in its 9th New England winter and hasn't frozen yet. Maybe once, can't remember. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    SGH said:
    Winter has hit us hard this year. It’s already down in the 70’s. We usually don’t see such harsh weather until mid January. 
    We all have our crosses to bear Brotha SGH.   It flirted with 75 in phx today and i am fearful that the next few months will have that harsh weather you speak of...
  • Hoping mine isn’t froze