Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serious Barbecue, Adam Perry Lang, Whole Beef Tenderloin With Worcestershire Sauce

Thanks to some help from this forum, I'm embarking on my most elaborate cook for Christmas this year: Adam Perry Lang's Whole Beef Tenderloin With Worcestershire Sauce. Buy the book!

Many have linked to an online copy of the recipe here, but it is incomplete. 

As a thank you, here's a iphone grab of the recipe for your review. If you make it, please post photos here as the book omits a shot of the finished dish.

Mountain View, CA

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Good luck, and pics please!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Thanks and good luck. Does anyone else think 1/4" slices are too thin for such a tender piece of meat?
  • It’s one of my favorite cooks. I’ve done it several times and it’s a can’t miss.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrillSgt said:
    Thanks and good luck. Does anyone else think 1/4" slices are too thin for such a tender piece of meat?
    For sure.  I don’t think I’ve ever cut them that thin with this.  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I, like @JohnInCarolina, have done this cook on several occasions from the book and it never disappoints. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • I'm doing a tenderloin for our Saturday family gathering and had planned to use the APL seasoning and glaze, but reverse sear -- no forward initial sear as seems to be indicated in the recipe.  Can't imagine going my way would be problematic, but welcome any thoughts.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • I'm doing a tenderloin for our Saturday family gathering and had planned to use the APL seasoning and glaze, but reverse sear -- no forward initial sear as seems to be indicated in the recipe.  Can't imagine going my way would be problematic, but welcome any thoughts.  
    I think the glaze works best with the forward sear.  You basically build up something of a crust, and then the glaze with the honey really has a chance to get in there during the slower roast stage.  

I think if you were to reverse sear, the danger with that glaze would be to burn it because of all the sugar.  
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I made it last year for Christmas (with a reverse sear) and it came out fantastic! I cut it thicker and had complements all around the table, I am doing it again this year.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Wow, I was about to ask about forward vs reverse searing this. Recipe says forward, Meathead says always reverse. As this is my first go, I'm planning forward unless someone in addition to @abpgwolf chimes in with a positive report.

Mountain View, CA
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Either way will be fine. As long as it is a good piece of meat and you don't overcook it it will be tasty.
  • run53
    run53 Posts: 121
    I did this a couple of weeks ago and followed the on-line version. It came out great! However, the on-line version doesn't have the step to rub the meat with oil before the forward sear. So, when I did the sear, a lot of the rub stuck to the grates. I think that's a huge difference between the on-line version and this one. Thanks for sharing.
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • GATraveller
    I've always done this one by the book and forward seared.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dmourati
    run53 said:
    I did this a couple of weeks ago and followed the on-line version. It came out great! However, the on-line version doesn't have the step to rub the meat with oil before the forward sear. So, when I did the sear, a lot of the rub stuck to the grates. I think that's a huge difference between the on-line version and this one. Thanks for sharing.
    I saw your post @run53 during a search and specifically about the oil part. That's in part what made me buy the book in the first place and why I wanted to get a accurate copy of the recipe on to this forum.

Thank you sir.
    Mountain View, CA
  • For what it’s worth, this is actually one of the simpler recipes in the book.  But I’ve tried many of them, and they’re all really pretty good.  You can pick and choose how much or how little of each recipe to use and still put out some killer cooks.
  • All y'all got me wavering.  I *think* I'm going to bowl it straight down the middle and forward sear.  Although I'm not the recipe-following type, given the steaks (pun intended!) with a big family group coming over, it probably makes sense to not monkey around with a tested and winning cook.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • All y'all got me wavering.  I *think* I'm going to bowl it straight down the middle and forward sear.  Although I'm not the recipe-following type, given the steaks (pun intended!) with a big family group coming over, it probably makes sense to not monkey around with a tested and winning cook.
    Honestly this recipe is the closest thing I’ve found to a can’t miss.  The flavor the crust adds to the tenderloin is incredible.  If you do the board sauce too I promise you ain’t none of it gonna be around for leftovers.
  • dmourati
    I'm picking up the ~4 pound center cut plus tail tenderloin today from my local butcher. I'm planning to put it on a wire rack uncovered in the fridge today. On Saturday night, I'll hit it with some kosher salt and return it to the fridge. Cook goes on Monday about noon.

Any tweaks suggested to the above?
    Mountain View, CA
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    A question about the sear, can I just use the blackstone and get it screaming hot. Will the flat griddle put a better crust than the grill grates? To me it sounds logical but I'm often proven wrong when I ask here. Thanks and merry Christmas to all. 
  • dmourati
    Woohoo! Thanks for the photos @HendersonTRKing. Looks amazing. Mine's chilling in the fridge right now. T-2 days and counting.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Food pr0n of the Highest Order!  :triumph:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Boy oh boy were you guys right. Thanks for setting me straight @JohnInCarolina and for posting the recipe @dmourati

Started with close to 8 lbs from BJ’s Wholesale Club. First tenderloin, and next time I’ll trim it up prettier. Seasoned it with a bit of the APL rub and let it sit overnight in the fridge. The rest of the way was pretty much as written — forward sear on CI in the gasser and then indirect on the egg at 300 or so. Raining here all day, so I got pretty wet, spritzing and glazing earlier than APL said.

It was a true crowd pleaser. Family seemed to like it even better than the “green” ham I’ve done the last few years, which suits me just fine. Some pix below to prove it happened. Merry Merry to you and yours!

Way to crush it man!
  • GATraveller
    Right on! Looks incredible. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    incredible!  love the cilantro on top.  Great colors!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • GoooDawgs said:
    incredible!  love the cilantro on top.  Great colors!
    Chives!  And lots of them!

Cheers!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Boy oh boy were you guys right. Thanks for setting me straight @JohnInCarolina and for posting the recipe @dmourati

Started with close to 8 lbs from BJ’s Wholesale Club. First tenderloin, and next time I’ll trim it up prettier. Seasoned it with a bit of the APL rub and let it sit overnight in the fridge. The rest of the way was pretty much as written — forward sear on CI in the gasser and then indirect on the egg at 300 or so. Raining here all day, so I got pretty wet, spritzing and glazing earlier than APL said.

It was a true crowd pleaser. Family seemed to like it even better than the “green” ham I’ve done the last few years, which suits me just fine. Some pix below to prove it happened. Merry Merry to you and yours!

Amazing! Great job!  B)
  • Killer, @GalanteNate_OneEa
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • dmourati
    edited December 2017
    Hey, my tenderloin is kind of frozen sitting uncovered on a wire rack in the coldest spot of my fridge. Any cause for concern or change in plans?
    Mountain View, CA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Those pictures are awesome
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dmourati said:
    Hey, my tenderloin is kind of frozen sitting uncovered on a wire rack in the coldest spot of my fridge. Any cause for concern or change in plans?
    When did you move it from the freezer to the fridge?