Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Poor planning-any insights?-OT (a rant and vent session as well.)

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,385
The scenario:  We frequently get a call from our next door neighbor Saturdays (Dec-Feb) around 9 AM to let their dog out in the early afternoon.  Reason being wife and kid are gone to the weekly high school wrestling match and husband works on Saturday.  Of course, the wrestling and work schedules are known well in advance.  I have made subtle suggestions that they do better at planning but I'm sure they would be clearly challenged to organize a two-car funeral.  Happened again today (and their back-up plan family moved out of the area).  I know I could leave 'em hanging but that's not fair to the dog who is great.
Any pearls of wisdom w/o pi$$ing them off?  Go! 
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Tough one. I don’t think I would worry that much about ticking them off. I would suggest you let them know you are feeling taken advantage of. They will either be reasonable and understand or be unreasonable and they wi get pissy. Either way, you won’t get asked unless it is actually something that cannot be avoided. 

Lets face it, everyone I know is more than willing to help their neighbors or friends out. When their generosity is abused, the neighbors and friends are failing to be neighborly or friendly. It’s a matter of perspective. 

Good luck! You must decide if you value your own sanity more than their selfish feelings. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    So is it letting the dog out, or the AM call that has you riled?   If it's the call, maybe be proactive and call them the previous night? Or ask for a copy of the schedule.  

If if its letting the dog out, I'm out. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Do you like these people otherwise? Do you hang out with them or is extent of the relationship basic pleasantries and dog sitting? 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Frank is pissed to be called the morning of. My read is that he’d be ok helping out if he could just be given better advance notice.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I would just be unavailable for a few weeks.  Maybe you have to be at a party or you are visiting a friend or family member.  Just reschedule an activity you normally do on another day to Saturday making you unavailable. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Just don’t answer the phone and make them sweat it for a while. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Suggest they install a pet door so the doggo can take care of business himself.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    Options
    They are decent otherwise and we share cocktails on a routine basis.  It's just the inability to plan ahead.  I intend to ask them for the wrestling schedule (posted prominently on their fridge). 
    The reason I haven't said no (knowing that now their back-up source has moved on) is because of the dog.  He is great and it's always a great welcome (chocolate lab).
    @theyolksonyou - the reason for the rant is their inability to know what's coming up and plan for it especially with no audibles to their schedule. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    They don't have to have a plan, they have you.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Tough call on this one Frank.  You’d like to make them shake their head and laugh in a way that would also make them appreciate that they need to be more considerate with their planning.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Labs can hold it for at least 8 hours unless there is a medical problem. I have family who have 2. A dual meet should not last over 1 1/2 hrs and a quad maybe 3 hours. Tourniments are hear and there. Is this high school or youth?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @woodchunk - unfortunately they have conditioned the dog to every 4-5 hours.  High school and seem to always take the better part of 8 hours with travel time etc.  I know that last week the kid wrestled 5 times so it is a protracted event.  
    Maybe I'll  get a nice Xmas present from the dog  ;)
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    They must be doing a lot of tournaments. Wrestlers parents always know each other, I bet the kid could get a ride in the am and mom could just come later after letting the dog out. Also, if it's a high school team event the school would provide the transportation and mom can come later. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    They must be doing a lot of tournaments. Wrestlers parents always know each other, I bet the kid could get a ride in the am and mom could just come later after letting the dog out. Also, if it's a high school team event the school would provide the transportation and mom can come later. 
    It’s just easier to call Frank and fein an apology every week...
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Adopt the dog, and find other friends. (This from someone who has very few friends). 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,295
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My mom has a wise saying: "they treat you how teach them to treat you". Not saying it's your fault at all; only that it will persist until you show them another path. I can totally understand wanting to avoid confrontation. Especially as you are friends in other regards. But if they are truly friends, they will listen to any feedback you have and will be open to other approaches that do not inconvenience you. 

If he is a great dog, I suggest you rightly enjoy him in your capacity as a great neighbour, rather than as the designated dog sitter. 

Sounds like their lifestyle is incongruous with dog ownership at times. The stop-gap should be family or otherwise paid services. I can understand you helping the odd time, but the persistent need to call upon your services is not an appropriate long term solution (unless the long term need is made clear at the outset and you have committed to the arrangement).
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    A bottle of WhistlePig would go a long ways in a situation like this...
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Is it an imposition? You aren't staying home or coming back early to take care of the dog are you. I'm probably not a good judge since we haven't had a neighbor since 1983. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @DoubleEgger - true but who would let me out?? ;)
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Let them come home once to find you in your underwear and in his wife’s robe...

Sitting on their couch watching tv drinking their booze. 

My neighbors don’t ask me for anything anymore.  ;)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Why can’t the just get a pen and leave him outside?
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Why people like that do not have a dog door is puzzling. Some say they worry about other animals getting in the house, but don't they have electronic ones that only work for the animal that is wearing the tag? "Aw, the hell with buying that, let's just call the neighbor."
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Start calling them up 9AM Sunday morning the next day from a coffe shop and ask them to water your plants.
    Options
    Make your ringback tone "Who let the dogs out?" and they'll stop calling.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I like helping people out, but once I feel someone's taking advantage - I'm out.

Leave them a card of handyman who can build them a kennel and cut in a doggy door. (should have been thought of prior to bringing home the pup) 
    Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Ok, I get the hint......

Seriously, the very first post I read after we decide to get our daughter a dog for Christmas.

So far, I am into this thing for a couple Ks, and if I know my daughter, as well as I think I do, it will eventually be my dog.

So that being the stark realization.....I will be glad to forward you our schedule of upcoming events for the coming weeks, of which we will need your assistance in caring for our pet.
    It needs to be walked a couple times per day fed a couple times a day, and we keep a large supply of poop bags. Don't forget to check the water, and there are a couple of pick ups, and drop offs, for the vet, and groomers.
    Thanks Frank, appreciate the help with our dog, while we do other things.

That absolutely sucks, and there comes a point when you have to let them know, your time is as valuable as theirs, or this will continue and get worse.

Dogs are great, it is always the people that let you down.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks for the side-job @YukonRon  ;)   New rate hike goes into effect January 1, 2018.  Hang on!
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Call them Friday about 11pm and tell them you have plans and won’t be able to let the dog out. They might get the hint, but guessing the are oblivious to what they are doing. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Let them come home once to find you in your underwear and in his wife’s robe...

Sitting on their couch watching tv drinking their booze. 

My neighbors don’t ask me for anything anymore.  ;)
    What Adam said but "combat ready"!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM