Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Prime Rib Advise Needed

Options
I am a novice Egghead.  However, my BGE is making me slowly famous - Max Max Turkey at Thanksgiving was a huge hit!

Now I have a 12 lb boneless prime rib sitting in the basement fridge that is sitting uncovered with towels below and on top.

My plan:

1. 12 lb boneless prime rib
  2. Large BGE set to 250 - 275  degrees
  3. Salt & coarse pepper then mustard
  4. McCormick Montreal Steak rub generously applied
  5. Cook Indirect via placesetter
  6. Setup is to use the same rectangle roasting pan and V rack I used for Thanksgiving turkey (I already checked for fit)
  7. Plan is 20 minutes per lb - so maybe about 240 minutes
  8. Pull at 112 to 115 degrees
  9. Let rest for 20 minutes or so until while I pull out the placesetter and ramp up the BGE to 500 - 550
  10. Sear for 3 or 4 minutes per side
  11. Pull when internal is 125 degrees - checked with instant thermometer and my new Meater blue tooth thermometer (1st time being used)

I am not super confident about my plan so I am looking for ideas that are solidly tested!!

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Low and slow, smoke with pecan, I use an olive oil aerosol for the base, and use the rub of your choice (I use Cow Dust which is the key for me).
    I go to about 125F IT, then reverse the sear, shorter times. Pull at your desired IT and let it rest for about 20-30 mins, loosely foiled or BP'd.
    I have had similar go much longer and shorter in cook times, so be prepared if this is a super time sensitive cook.
    It is an easy cook, I try not to make it any more difficult than it is. Have fun....
    Let me know how it goes.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Your new-found fame is all you  it has nothing to do with the Egg.  B)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Your plan sounds just about perfect to me. The only thing I would add is that it is a pain to try to take the temp of the meat while searing. I would take it off at 115 or so as you have planned and assume it will rise some while resting. Make sure the temp has stopped climbing before the sear. Keep the dome open as much as possible and just hit each side for a short time to add color. The IT shouldn't rise much. 

Also for the sear- be prepared for a lot of flames when the fat hits the fire. Have a couple of pair of tongs and some good gloves. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I did a boneless roast last Christmas using a similar process. I used a generous portion of Penzey's Prime Rib Rub and Kosher Salt after coating the roast with Olive Oil. I placed the roast directly on the grate with a drip pan below on the plate setter. I used Royal Oak lump with a couple fist size pieces of pecan wood. Starting temp was 500*+ to establish a nice crust. After about 30-40 minutes I throttled the egg back to 275-300* for the rest of the cook. I pulled it at about 130* internal and let it rest 10 minutes prior to carving. It was delicious. As a bonus, the leftovers made the best Philly Cheesesteaks I've ever had.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Very good plan.  However, 3-4 minutes per side is probably too long.  1 minute per side is good.  @SmokeyPitt is wise in his comments above.  Prepare for flames.  Lots of flames.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,338
    Options
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    1. Plan is 20 minutes per lb - so maybe about 240 minutes

Timing may be a bit long.  Rib roast cook based on thickness - a 4 rib roast takes just as long as a 7 rib roast.  You should start to shift to timing based on thickness and not weight.  Your cooking time will be less than to your planned 4 hours.  As always - the meat controls the cook and the will be variability.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Sarends
    Options
    jtcBoynton, yo are right!!!

Emergncy help needed - PRIME RIB IS GETTING DONE TOO SOON!!!  WHAT DO I DO?

I am shooting for medium rare. I think it is going to get to 118 degrees about 9:30am and we aren't eating until 1pm! Can I do this:

1) Take out at 118 degrees, about 9:30am
    2) Keep the BGE going 
    low and slow for another 2 1/2 hours (I might add fuel)
    3) Wrap the Prime Rib in aluminum foil and place in a cooler for 2 1/2 hours, until about noon (yikes)
    4) At around 11:30 increase Egg temperature to 450 or 500
    5) Take Prime Rib out of cooler at noon and place on the Egg and sear for 4 - 10 minutes
    6) Let rest again from 12:15 - 12:35pm
    7) Carve at around 12:40
    8) Place in warming oven until other dinner items are ready

Will this work???

Thanks everyone!!

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    OK.
    The minutes per pound only applies up until the diameter is less than or equal to the length. At 12 lbs boneless I would expect a cooking time more like 15 minutes/lb.
    Secondly a sear may or may not be necessary and 4 minutes per side (if you mean 4) would overcook and result in an inferno.
    250* to 270* is a big jump in cook time it's really easy to hold the egg at a precise temp.
    The result of a low temp cook of a more rare looking finished product so be aware that even if your guests like MR it may look R even though it is done to the MR temp (or higher).
    If yo reduce your expected cook time and you are not to temp just raise the heat. That way you will get your sear without the fire.
    Good luck!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    I didn't notice the first line in your post. You mean the roast was sitting in the fridge wrapped in plastic with towels on it right?

Steve 

Caledon, ON