Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket EVER

Options
Shrek
Shrek Posts: 67
Eggers - Sad to say, I've never done a brisket.  Welp, that changes this weekend.  I have a ~6 lber, rubbed with Dizzy Pig Red Eye in the fridge right now.  Plan is to get it on around 6am tomorrow, cook @ ~250 over Rockwood with some hickory chunks.  IT of ~200, right?  Am I a fool to think I may get to eat it for dinner?  
My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
LBGE in Arlington, VA
God Bless America!

Comments

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    Go for it! Sounds like a good plan. Six lbs isn't that big, I think you'll be done in plenty of time before dinner...
    Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    At six pounds you're going to have issues keeping it moist. Others may disagree, but I'd use a water pan. Plus I'd ration to estimate 7-8 hours. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    You can always boil it 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Sounds like a flat.  The key is to make sure it doesn't dry out.  And the finish-line is the feel (temp is only a guide).  Probes like buttah in the great majority and you are there-generally around 200-205*F, FWIW.  
    The cow drives the cook and you can always FTC for a good four hours or more so factor that into your planning time-frame.  
    Here's a link to a well-reviewed flat cook:
    http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/brisket-flat/  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You might be having it for lunch :). I don’t have any experience with 6lb briskets or flats but your plan sounds solid to me. I think you’ll be done by 2-3pm at the latest at 250 and a 6lb brisket. That gives you some nice wiggle room for a long cooler rest which I think should help out with a smaller brisket cook
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX