Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Sandwich That I Got My Friend Fired For

Options
I had it made when I was 19/20 years old. My one roommate worked at a bagel shop and my other roommate at Chipotle. It was glorious. My one roommate didn't have a car so she was always bumming us for a ride to work. She was poor like the rest of us so she would pay us in burrito bucks. Every burrito buck was a free burrito at Chipotle. She'd give us 2-3 burrito bucks everytime for a ride to work. Score! When I wasn't eating a burrito my buddy would hook me up with some free bagel sandwiches after I got done with work/school. Probably not a very honest way to live life thinking back about it. Young and dumb. I'm just dumb now. =)

I'd stop at my friends bagel shop 3-4 times a week and sit and eat a sandwich with him during his break. Usually around 4pm when it was slow. It was always a bagel with chicken, vegetable cream cheese, and onions. It was simple and always hit the spot. My go to bagel.

Apparently he was secret shopped one day as he sat with me for 30 minutes. I guess they didn't like the idea of him giving out free food. Which he said they didn't really care too much about but they were upset about how long his break was. Which I could kind of understand  as most of the bread and food gets tossed at the end of the night. (He would bring home bags and bags of bagels for the house.) But they ended up canning my friend at the end of his shift. To this day he make sure he tells everyone that I got him fired from his job! Which I do feel bad about as I shouldn't have even been eating the free food from the start. 

I've been meaning to make this sandwich for the longest time. It crosses my mind all the time. Just never at the right opportunity. I seized the moment this go around and went to the grocery store and picked everything up. Which isn't very much. The sandwiches is: Everything bagel, chicken breast, vegetable cream cheese, onion, and I added roasted red pepper. Man oh man did this thing hit the spot. So simple and easy. 

Not much of a post but I didn't want anyone's friends to get fired if they do decide to make this sandwich! ;)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    There's got to be some shrink here who can help with this thread.  ;)
    BTW-  loaded bagel looks great.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Great story and awesome looking bagel. Like the roasted pepper idea.
    Snellville, GA

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am a fan of the bagel sandwich. Yours looks very tasty.

Had a guy who lived on my hall in college.....ashamed to say that I ate many a sub sandwich from a local sandwich shop where he was employed.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Sometimes it’s the journey and not the destination that matters, but that is one tasty looking bagel sandwich.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,173
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Great sandwich, even better memories.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks good, but to make the experience truly authentic, you should have your friend make it for you... on the clock at the place of his employ, of course. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Nice sandwich.  I didn't have any sandwich or food connections in college...but I had two roommates that worked at a liquor store across from the school that apparently only inventoried kegs.  That lasted almost two years and I'm sure the owner still made a ton of money.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I don't usually care a lot about chicken sandwiches, but I gotta say, that chicken looks great, and that is one great looking sandwich!  Makes me want one!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I'm not really that conceded in my text above. This would be very, very PC compared to the other trash talk that goes on in this text thread with my friends. Just wanted to clarify that so someone doesn't think that I'm that way in real life.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited December 2017
    Options
    That text is totally acceptable amongst long time friends.  

I have worse on text threads with other forum members that I have only known a short time. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options

I have worse on text threads with other forum members that I have only know a short time. 
    The bagel text  thread has already turned into something I can't post on the forum in just a few minutes. The only text I could say is my one friend making fun of my other friend for smoking 10 cigarettes a day, drinking 8oz beers (Accidentally grabbed a 12 pack of 8oz beers at the liquor store one night. We've never let him down for grabbing the 8oz beers), and saying that he's attracted to little boys. (He's married and has 4 kids). The stupid crap that friends say to one another....

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Loved your story and I had a somewhat similiar experience or two way back in the 1960's...BUT now that I'm older and wiser I'm so proud of my community which has embraced the Harvest concept. That encourages and must legally release donor restaurants, bakerys and even chains to donate their unsold foods to the volunteers who come daily to pick it up by the TONS! Instead of wasting perfectly good food it gets served the next day or two to needy people.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Seriously, though, that bagel sandwich is making me hungry...  I wonder if Brueggers is still open.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

I have worse on text threads with other forum members that I have only known a short time. 

You need to watch who you communicate with pal! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

@Jupiter Jim is a freak 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

@Jupiter Jim is a freak 

I had another fella in mind (cough, cough, Robin) , but yeah you're right. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A bagel with cream cheese and onions is good. Even better with your addition of chicken and roasted peppers.

Used to like bagel sandwiches in college, but can’t get decent bagels anywhere close by now. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Pretty cool story here with your friend(s).
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great looking bagelwich!!  Never would have happened if you had not had this experience.. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Looks great V, nice post bud, love the background.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Great looking sandwich and good story!
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Ha! Awesome win. I worked in easily half a dozen restaurants in that season of life. 

If they didn’t want you to recreate it, they wouldn’t have given you the recipe. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Love the story....priceless.  My younger brother managed an A&W back in the 70’s.  Every time I stopped and ordered a root beer, he sent out a Papa Burger and fries for free!  Love those A&W burgers to this day.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Sandwich looks great. Always fun reminiscing about the good old days.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like a nice trip down memory lane via food.

I'm partial to cream cheese and lox on a bagel.
    Options
    Nice post and food.  Reminds me of when I dated a girl who worked the closing shift at Godfather's Pizza.  She'd make an extra pie right before they closed and then she'd bring it home and we'd watch Netflix.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    @WeberWho Great story. I am also a huge Bagel lover. When I went to NY I was in heaven. Fresh and any kind and topping you could want. Yours looks awesome Thank you for sharing.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I love bagels, but in moderation. When I was in junior high I worked at a McDonald's. We were allowed to eat whatever we wanted. Seemed like heaven, but after a few weeks, we couldn't stand the stuff. I haven't been into a Mickey D's in about four decades. 

One of the things we ate at first was a surf and turf - we substituted one of the hamburger patties on a Big Mac for a fish. Pretty good, and we wondered why they would't put that on the menu. Ah, to be young and dumb.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    would eat that in a heartbeat. did it taste as good as the misappropriated sandwich of yesteryear. i had a room mate whos job was to count mcdonalds patty inventory ;) somehow they dont taste as good now. another that would bring home 80 gallon bags full of smartfood popcorn =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it