Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally made my best ribs on my MM egg after trial&error for a year....time now for some showing off

Options
have been at it for a year now have done some awesome cooks on my year old egg from steaks to chops and roasts. But with ribs has been up and down some, tried various recipes form this forum (thanks to all) and most turned out to dry, think that on the minimax things are somewhat different then on the large with the coals being to close to,the meat imho anyway. So yesterday grocery shop there was a rack of back ribs that enticed me once again(might have had something to do with it bein 50% off) was not a planned cook as supper was already planned by my SO nevertheless I fired up the egg and went thru my recipe collection and decided to,use this St.Louis recipe I had saved from somewhere, modified it due to me not having all required ingredients but used dizzy dust liberally, black pepper and salt, garlic, cinnamon, smoked paprika, allspice and cut the rack in half to make if fit on the grill at 275 indirect. Recipe said to leave it ther for two hours then flip it for another 2 hours then wrap it in foil (fellow that sold me the BGE made me promise to never use alum.foil in the egg, so don’t tell him) for another hour and then add bbq sauce and go,direct for 5 mins a side.
i decided to spray it with apple cider vinegar every half hour while it was uncovered and once wrapped added thin slices of half an apple on top of the meat so after 5 hours was ready to eat and they were the best !! EVEN ate the apple slices.
Will never use the rib rack that dealer sold,me for ribs in the MM it never worked for me....

Now I should add that on my gasser for decades made my ribs in foil as well similarly to what I did here now and I find they stay moist and always liked them that way.
As you can see. Pics were an afterthought nothing from before and half was already eaten....LOL

MMx, my not so large BGE
Genesis E330 gasser 
WiFi ANOVA SV
Halifax, Canada

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looking good. I love me some ribs on the MM. Especially when trying to fit two or three racks onto there, which I've done on a few occasions.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Love the MM action with the ribs and congrats on the cook. BGE ribs are tough to beat. Very nicely done.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    They look great!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Cmyachtie
    Options
    Looking good. I love me some ribs on the MM. Especially when trying to fit two or three racks onto there, which I've done on a few occasions.
    From my experience need to use the platesetter for most things on the MM or they burn easy most of the time is that your experience also?
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,313
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yes, you do have to watch your food when cooking direct. I often use a little secondary grid to give the food an extra few inches of clearance, depending on what I'm cooking.

I find the proximity between the flames and the grid can actually cause burning even when cooking indirect. For example, I bake the same bread recipe using the exact same setup on both my Large and MM. The MM burns at the bottom before the top has had a chance to brown, whereas the Large cooks evenly. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Outstanding.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Great adaptation and results.  Nailed 'em.  Congrats.  Eggcellent color on those bones as well.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cmyachtie
    Options
    Yes, you do have to watch your food when cooking direct. I often use a little secondary grid to give the food an extra few inches of clearance, depending on what I'm cooking.

I find the proximity between the flames and the grid can actually cause burning even when cooking indirect. For example, I bake the same bread recipe using the exact same setup on both my Large and MM. The MM burns at the bottom before the top has had a chance to brown, whereas the Large cooks evenly. 
    Thanks....
    That confirms my struggle during my learning curve....lately I leave the ceramic ring in and put platesetter on top of it instead of removing it for indirect cooks.

MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada