Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Public Service Announcement!

Options
OK, egghead family...a little serious talk about to be thrown down:  Hopefully it may wake someone up!!!

Recently I had a upper GI scope/enlarge my esophagus done.  They did biopsies due to the erosion and rawness of the area.  Biopsies came back as esophageal cancer.  I'm not a tobacco user and not a drinker (maybe 6-8 beers a year).  I don't eat "right" but have been getting better over the years and now that I have been diagnosed I have ceased drinking sweet tea/soda and QUIT taking Goody's powders.  I have had GERD (acid reflux) for probably about 20+ years which is one of the causes for cancer.  I should have been taking some sort of acid reflux medication but never stuck with them.  I use to get my esophagus stretched every few years due to the erosion and trouble swallowing.  This last time, I waited 5 years to have it done (stupid move).  I probably should have been going every year!!!  My symptoms that shot me to the DR was heartburn like I had never had before (actually felt like fire in my chest) that came and went.  I also noticed my stool was black and tar like (upper GI bleed).  I attributed it to probably a stomach ulcer.  Both symptoms only lasted about a week or 2.  Went to my primary care physician and got sent to my gastro DR.

Good news, all the DR's I have talked to are believing it's in the early stages but of course more testing to determine a course of treatment.  Actually going today for a PET scan.  More then likely, chemo/radiation followed by surgery is the course.  I had cancer when I was 19 and then again when I was 20 and went through surgery/chemo and almost died so I know what I'm in store for. 

My purpose for this post is to wake guys/gals up to health issues.  Most guys hate going to the DR's office and by all means when you discuss scopes (upper/lower GI's) they avoid them like the plague!!!  If me going through all I am/will be going through wakes just 1 person up to seek treatment to help save their life, I'D DO IT MULTIPLE TIMES OVER!  Please people, listen to your inner self and body!!!  GO TO THE DR!!!  Be honest to your DR, and LISTEN to your DR.  If you want a second opinion, go for it but do not play with your health!  I am not a lover of medications but I GUARANTEE you I will now be on a strict use of relux medication!!!!!!!!   So do it for yourself, most of all do it for your family!!!

I'm a firm believer that GOD is working in my life like he has since I was saved when I was 17.  So any of ya'll that are believers can include me in their prayers or on their prayer lists with their churches.  Anyone that is not a believer, that is your choice but if you are "on the fence" I pray that you seek GOD while he can still be found! 

Thanks for all your support/prayers and PLEASE if you want to know more but don't want to throw it out here direct message me and I will talk to you more!!!  It's my goal to save someone a longer/harder road!!!

THANKS, and GOD bless all!

Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very sorry to hear of your situation. I admire your attitude very much and your ability to put out this PSA. Thank you and best wishes for a healthy recovery from the challenging treatment you face. Please keep us informed of your progress. 
    Brent
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Good post.  I hope it all works out for you.  My uncle was diagnosed with this about five years ago.  He was similar to you in that he didn’t smoke and wasn’t a big drinker.  They caught it when it was stage two and he was lucky to make it through to still be around today.  They only caught it because his Doc was persistent in chasing down the cause of some weird symptoms he was having.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Thank you for your courage to share your situation for the benefit of others. I am hoping everything will be best for you as you proceed.
    Please keep us up to date on your progress.
    Our rally hats are on upside down, inside out and backwards.
    We are in your corner.....if there is anything we can do, let us know.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gbvinla
    Options

You are so correct about most men being reluctant to go to their doctor, and being honest when we do. My father died of colon cancer at 52 so I've been having colonoscopies since age 45.

Thank you for sharing your process. We will be praying for your speedy recovery.

Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Sending prayers your way! Thank you for the post
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Man.  This is like the second post about this.  It's really got me to thinking I need to make some changes.  I want to be around for my kids

Thanks for the post.  

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers too.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Good PSA.  Early detection, speaking up if things are not right, is critical.

Sending good vybz brother, hoping nothing lights up on your PET.

Like Brent said, you've got a strong faith, great attitude.  It's time to gear up, and get after it.

Please keep us posted.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

I am a cancer survivor myself. Thoughts and positive vibes going out to you-hang tough. I firmly believe that we do not know how strong we are till tested. That being said, I am sure you could do without this test!

Keep us informed of your progress and let us know if there is anything we can do-I know many on this forum, including myself, will be glad to help.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. We all need a reminder from time to time.
    Stay positive and best of luck!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Prayers and wooooos headed your way
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Many prayers for you and your family.  Treatments are much better and much cleaner than when you were 19.  This won't be an easy journey, but I hope and pray for your recovery.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Prayers sent!!  Thanks for sharing.. hopefully someone on the fence about going to the doctor about a concern will go... keep us updated... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I had a post similar to this recently but mine was caught very early.  Pre-cancerous stuff in my esophagus is getting cut and burned out next week.  TAKE GERD SERIOUSLY.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    I had a post similar to this recently but mine was caught very early.  Pre-cancerous stuff in my esophagus is getting cut and burned out next week.  TAKE GERD SERIOUSLY.

Just said a prayer fer you brother.  Glad they got it quickly!  I have a buddy who has precursor of cancer fer the same thing.  He gets scoped/biopsies every year.  There is alot more out there then I thought...   Ever since I brought this up on several forums I belong to, there have been many coming forward about it!  I pray that my walk in the valley will keep someone on the mountain! 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I am waiting for the results of a liver ultrasound right now. I was never a heavy drinker and for the last 30 years have been remarkably light. 
  • Jai-Bo
    Options
    I am waiting for the results of a liver ultrasound right now. I was never a heavy drinker and for the last 30 years have been remarkably light. 

Just said a prayer fer you too brother!  I have a history of alcoholism in my family and when I met my wife, I went from drinking 4-5 times a week to barely any at all.  Alcohol/tobacco are detrimental to our health, but I know alot of our foods can be just as bad!!!  That's what I am working on now is a better healthier eating habit!!!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Verdict is nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Continue losing weight and see her in March. Research online varies. The big agreement is no alcohol or limited wine only along with an improved diet, exercise, weight loss and maybe going back to drinking a cup of coffee daily.
  • Jai-Bo
    Options
    Verdict is nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Continue losing weight and see her in March. Research online varies. The big agreement is no alcohol or limited wine only along with an improved diet, exercise, weight loss and maybe going back to drinking a cup of coffee daily.
    Glad it wasn't worse and can be handled brother!!!  Good luck on sticking to diet/exercise!!!  I know it's been 2 weeks fer me of not having ANY sweet tea or soft drinks, and eating more fruit/salads then I have in the past 2 years!!!
  • noarmysargent
    Options
    Great post. My wife went through breast cancer this year. This Thursday she will have her last reconstruction surgery. You are doing the right thing by putting your experience in a public forum. One third of Americans will experience some kind of cancer in their life.  Faith in The Lord is key my friend!  Blessings to you!
  • Jai-Bo
    Options
    *UPDATE*

OK, saw the DR's yesterday along with another PET scan. Same results that the cancer is small and doesn't go past the lining of the esophagus. There are a few lymph nodes near by they are worried are infected. I am going to my oncologist in Pcola on the 27th and along with the oncologists down here they will arrange my treatment. It will consist of about 6 weeks of chemo/radiation, another PET scan to see if it killed it/shrunk it then back down to Orlando fer surgery. Not out of the woods, but the "I don't know" stage is gone... Still appreciate the prayers ya'll are sending up to our savior!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I'll keep sending good vybz your way JB.  Thanks for the update.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."