Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it just me...FB site vs Forum

Options
Does anyone else think there is a totally different vibe on this forum vs the Facebook BGE site? 

I seem to enjoy the discussion here more; not as much arguing, etc. 

I'm thinking about making a permanent switch and ditching the FB groups...just curious if anyone else sees it the same way. 

BTW not sure I ever followed up, as I asked many questions about BGE vs KJ. Went with an XL. Couldn't be happier (except I do love Red and Black...Go Dawgs!)
Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Apparently, the FB group is SERIOUS INTERNET BUSINESS. Here, not so much outside of Friday rows now and again, oh, and that "no forks" guy.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It's a different vibe for sure.  I think most of that is just the way FB functions.  Threads come and go, and rarely have more than say 20 comments.  

I could be wrong, but my general sense is that the folks who post here are a little more serious/creative about what they post.   

I'm not sure I've ever seen a post that was unique to one of the FB pages (many folks post cooks on both FB and the forum) where I thought "Wow that's something I've got to try!"  Whereas over here, I feel like I see something at least once a week that looks interesting.  But YMMV.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I unfollowed them within a few days.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    This place is my only social media. Probably not too hard to tell.....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Agree 110% about the moderators.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The best BGE Facebook page ever was Tweev's fake page. I have never laughed so hard at the internet in my life. He set it up as the corporate BGE page and just savaged people. He had thousands of followers and They let it go on for months. 

Once they shut that down, I was out of the BGE facebook page game.  The few fanboy pages that I have seen suck balls. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    edited December 2017
    Options
    There is a FB BGE page..??
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Ugh..That FB page.  

I noticed that page and thought, that'd be cool to join.  I joined and OMG, I couldn't leave it fast enough.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • danguba78
    Options
    I couldn't agree more.  The FB group is listening and calling in to sports radio.  This site is actually playing in the pros.    

The FB group is mostly full of pictures (usually of over-the-top chili), inane fights (about what lump brand is best, whether asking about lump is ever permissible, hunting, chili pictures), misinformation (a "placesetter" is a must-have accessory, cooking to time not temp), and lazy/bizarre questions ("I have 37 people coming over in 18 minutes what can I cook for them? Go." or "I just bought an Egg what can you tell me about cooking on it?").  There's very little trading of information or development of skills  There are a few people doing interesting things--one guy who's gone full keto and makes his own onion powder and rubs and is very supportive--but most people who post are just snarky.  That said, I haven't unfollowed it.  

Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    I dislike the whole Facebook format. Having to scroll thru every single post in a timeline fashion is no fun for me. I like how the forum allows us to see the thread titles and we choose which to open and spend time with. 
     I am a Moderator on an automotive Performance Forum. It has slowed down tremendously with the increased presence of Facebook. But like here, I think the more serious discussions occur on the forums rater than FB. I will have a forum presence as long as they exist.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The best BGE Facebook page ever was Tweev's fake page. I have never laughed so hard at the internet in my life. He set it up as the corporate BGE page and just savaged people. He had thousands of followers and They let it go on for months. 

Once they shut that down, I was out of the BGE facebook page game.  The few fanboy pages that I have seen suck balls. 
    Does anyone have screenshots from that?
    Options
    There are too many BGE/kamodo sites to keep up with.  I don't know which one is the bad one.  I ended up on one that seems sane and people keep talking  about getting banned on "the other" page and I have no idea what they're talking about.

I don't think you're missing anything.  I occasionally see a good picture and people are helpful with answers to questions.  I'll occasionally throw up a single picture there if I don't have time to post a thread here.

Now Instagram... there's a mind f*ck.  I can't keep up with that and figure out any linearity between things.  BGC had a giveaway contest going out and for the life of me I couldn't figure which prize was given, of if it was still live, how things were drawn and who the heck you were supposed to tag  and when.  I took one glance and that was enough. Pass!

The one group I'd send you to, if you are a gambling egger, is the BGE Giveways site. Lots of people winning a lot of eggs and accessories on there.  Guy that runs it is a saint.  No idea how he finds time to keep up with everything and get all those prizes out.  That said... I only donate there.  Haven't won sh*t.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    After checking two other BGE sites, I only use this one.  I love the way everybody jabs and congratulates each other. It seems like a great family And I have received much great help.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2017
    Options

Does anyone have screenshots from that?
    god I hope so but I don't. He would start a Thanksgiving post by saying something like

"show us what you are cooking to celebrate the decimation and murder of indigenous people"! People would actually post food pics. 

when people posted stuff they had cooked he would say things like "You probably shouldn't eat that, you are fat"

He would insult people and they would say, "I'm never buying one of these f*cking things as long as I live" then he would say something like "you probably couldn't afford it anyway". 

And everyone thought it was BGE corporate!

He ran some scam throwdowns that scooped up some of our own early bloggers as well. He was manipulating the votes to make it look close and people were coming on here saying "I just need a few more votes to catch up to Juanita's Muffins" (or burger or something- forgot the exact food) and people would go on there and vote for the forum guy. Tweev was Juanita and the admin so he would let people get close then Juanita would sprint to the lead at the last second. 

It was epic. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Whatever became of The BGE Nest that Zarcon was trying to get going a few years ago? Is that thing still alive?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    https://qz.com/1153007/former-facebook-executive-chamath-palihapitiya-you-dont-realize-it-but-you-are-being-programmed/

He said he didn’t want to be programmed himself, emphasizing he “doesn’t use this ****” and his kids are not allowed to use “this ****” either
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited December 2017
    Options

What was the name of that page??  Was it BigGreenEggUSA?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Whatever became of The BGE Nest that Zarcon was trying to get going a few years ago? Is that thing still alive?

it's yuge.  believe me, he's got no problem in that area.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Legume said:
    https://qz.com/1153007/former-facebook-executive-chamath-palihapitiya-you-dont-realize-it-but-you-are-being-programmed/

He said he didn’t want to be programmed himself, emphasizing he “doesn’t use this ****” and his kids are not allowed to use “this ****” either
    The echo chamber is real.  People honestly believe the crazy stuff they read.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

What was the name of that page??  Was it BigGreenEggUSA?
    oh no, it was straight up "Big Green Egg". He did it before BGE even had a corporate page. He took their exact logos and everything and had it for months before BGE got wind of it. It looked legit. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Still kicking but It has morphed into a Big Green Craig type deal. Guess the forum thing didn't work. 

http://www.thebgenest.com/
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I joined a month ago and have been trying to get baned ever since.  I guess I'm not very good at it but I am on the "watch list".  Kinda of like a no fly list but it doesn't matter.  Those people don't try to help new guys/gals  just post degrading comments.  I will try harder!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• etherdome
    Options
    Who the heck has time for both?
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    I joined a month ago and have been trying to get baned ever since.  I guess I'm not very good at it but I am on the "watch list".  Kinda of like a no fly list but it doesn't matter.  Those people don't try to help new guys/gals  just post degrading comments.  I will try harder!
    Just copy paste some Friday night pics/gifs from here. That should work.  
  • distanceman
    Options
    Thanks all for the input. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this. Appreciate ya. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Let’s check out one of the FB BGE groups, shall we?

Wow Garry that’s some incredible luck to win such a prize!  Let’s take a look at your home page to see who you are:

Oh.  I see.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike