Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

post your best beef jerky recipes!

post your best recipes and what cut of beef you use

going to buy ingredients tomorrow after work or Saturday morn and start process of making

I am thinking london broil
Boom

Comments

• this is my go-to on my Traeger.  the marinade is amazing.  as a side note, the Traeger is phenomenal for low temp (140-160*) smoking.  only takes about 4 hours to dehydrate the meat.

I use eye of round, btw.  it's so lean that you don't need to do much trimming at all.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited December 2017
    Veri Veri Teriyaki has it all I add Paprika for color red pepper flakes to taste- I know it's cheating and not very original.......but 

Marinade a few hours, dry excess marinade and into the dehydrator

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited December 2017
    But this is great as well- Bacon Jerky--Equal parts Sriracha and Honey A bit of Paprika ---Works great on Beef as well

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ^ checking out their site now!
    Boom
  • For meat, I used eye of round. Cut it along the grain into 3/4 inch 'steaks'.  then cut the steaks into 1/4-3/8 inch thick strips. This this it takes about 5 hours in a dehydrator or 3.5-4 in the egg.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • think I will go with variety pack #1
    Boom
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited December 2017
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612 said:
    sweet, I bet I can pick in store. Will head to costco and academy tomorrow 

instead of my cheap ronco going to use my uncle's excalibur

hopefully eating by sunday night!

Boom
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Worchestire(SP) sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper to taste. Always good!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• SSQUAL612
    edited December 2017
    I do equal parts Worcestershire and Soy Sauce, add some honey, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, a little Garlic Vinegar and chili paste for heat.  Going to try subbing a little cooking sherry for the honey next time. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Con Yeager has some great jerky flavors. 
  • If using the egg for jerky how do you get the low temps?
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • SSQUAL612
    If using the egg for jerky how do you get the low temps?
    Don’t know about the others, but I cook mine in a MES 
  • Eye of round, thin cut with the grain, in a dehydrator for 5hrs, with just salt and coarse ground pepper is a favorite in my house. 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited December 2017

I have used this for the past 30 years on deer venison. Should be fine with any lean cut of meat (flank steak).  I cut the meat into 1/4" thick strips, then pound with a serrated mallet to thin it out and allow it to absorb marinade.  This will make enough marinade to fill a large gallon jar with 10# of meat, or basically a quarter of a deer.  Marinade meat overnight.  Dry off meat and put in de-hydrator. 

1-Bottle liquid smoke

1/2 cup-Worcestershire sauce

1/4 cup-Soy Sauce

1/2 cup-Brown Sugar

1/4 cup-Salt

1 1/2 TBS- Garlic Salt

2 TBS-Black Pepper

1 tsp- Onion Powder

1/4 tsp- Cajun Seasoning

2 cups-Water

Dispose of marinade after each batch...do not re-use.

• For low heat in the egg. Start a very small fire directly in the middle. I used kamado joe heat deflectors that give you less than a half inch of clearance around the fire ring. Bottom vent open about the width of a toothpick, top was open about a pencil width. Held 185/190 at the dome like a champ.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Jerky marinade:
    1/4 C sugar
    3 T Tender Quick
    1/4 C honey
    1/8 C Country Bob's sauce
    1/2 T garlic powder
    2 T Texas BBQ Rub
    1/4 t hot chipotle powder
    1 C water
    1/8 C kosher salt

Packerland, Wisconsin

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Alton Brown's jerky recipe is solid, but I add a bit more heat. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665

this is the one i use in the egg, been a while though.  it uses a mound method which helps those unable to hold the lower temps or the need to have all the racks

Jerky, Beef, River City, Gfw

Philosophy: Experiment... Measure Nothing... Season until it tastes good!

INGREDIENTS:
    3-5 lb beef brisket sliced thin (1/8" or so) with the grain
    1 cup Soy Sauce
    3/4 cup Brown Sugar
    1/4 cup Dark Molasses
    1 tsp Onion Powder (or to taste)
    1 tsp Garlic Powder (or to taste - don't use fresh garlic - it will make the jerky bitter)
    1 tsp Black Pepper (or to taste)
    Dried Chilies Arbol chilies are my personal choice - cayenne are OK - avoid hot sauce because of the vinegar

Directions:
    1 Marinade the beef (3-5 lbs sliced thin) at least 1 hour. I typically do it (12 hours) overnight.
    2 Smoke over low heat (dome temperature 160 to 180 degrees) until desired texture. It may take 12 or more hours. Turn it every couple of hours.
    3 The strips of beef are placed on the grill to create the mound - the grill is preheated to 160-180 using firebricks and drip pan - I let the mound cook for about 1¼ hours and flip the whole thing using a 2nd grid - then it cooks for another hour - after 2¼ hours I'll take it off the grill and start to separate all the pieces from the mound - as the day progresses, I'll use a pair of tongs to turn the jerky about every hour and make sure that all the pieces get rotated.
    4 A lot of work for something that doesn't last very long -- not because it won't keep, but it tastes so good! Try the marinade recipes on the following page as well.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Meat, Side Dish, Snack

Recipe Source
    Author: Ken, Submitted by Gfw

Source: BGE Forum, Gfw
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it