Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temporary Grill

About a month ago we had a major home fire which left us out of the house and without an BGE and we are going thru BBQ withdraw.  It will be 8 months to rebuild and until then am limited on space.  Need ideas on a short term solution for grilling until we are back in the house with our XL BGE.  

With regard to the fire and the house, it was a faulty rechargeable LiPo battery that caught fire in the garage.
XL BGE, Akorn and one very old Ducane... 
HUSKER Football, UK Basketball (Went to 2 good sports schools)  
Washington Mo.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Sorry to hear about your fire ordeal, I can't imagine dealing with that.

I'd say an Akorn or Akorn Jr.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Sorry to hear that. Devastating. A hibachi is a great little grill. 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Sorry to hear about the fire. Can't imagine how scary that must be. I just bought a Weber Genesis II E-310 and it seems like a great grill for when I want something fast and don't want to fire up the egg (and my wife wanted something she can use as she is not interested in using the egg, says it is too much work). 
    I liked the Genesis II LX but could not justify the cost difference. The II LX has sides and doors and a few other upgrades, whereas the II has an open cart instead of enclosed. I also have a Weber Spirit that I have been using for 20 years, only replacing some parts here and there over the years, so the quality is there.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Genesis are great grills for a gasser. Minimal hot spot. 
  • Sorry to hear about your loss. I would be even more tempted to get a Blackstone. You can do an awful lot of different things on there and I doubt you'd be doing shoulders or pizzas on a gasser anyway. Having said that, I have a gasser that gets used at least once a week so you can't go wrong there, either.
    Stillwater, MN
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited December 2017
    Dang - that's terrible.  I would get a Weber Kettle.  I have two BGE's and a Hasty-bake.  But I still wish I had my old Weber from time to time.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Get a mini max. 
  • A lot of apartments only allow gas grills. Something to ask your temporary landlord. Otherwise I agree with the idea of an Acorn Jr.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If I knew about the 14" CharGriller Akorn Jr when I bought my large egg, I probably would never have owned an egg. Also, the Weber Smokey Joe is a nice grill (14" grid), as is the Jumbo Joe (18").

If you can't use charcoal, I got nuthin'. Haven't looked at a gasser since the 80s.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited December 2017

Very sorry to hear about your families trouble.

Plus one on the kettle.  Eggs are great, but you won't miss a beat cooking on a kettle. 

Better than phoning it in with a gasser - (oh yeah, I said it)
    Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    Everyone on here whines about gassers. My bro has a Weber something or other gas grill and I have NEVER had a single bad meal from it. Maybe it's the COOK, not the cookER. Hmm?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I'm a charcoal snob band wagon jumper.

Phoenix 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I believe you need to think about what you are really missing about the egg. You mentioned BBQ withdrawal and ask about a short term grilling solution. What BBQ are you missing? Is it pork butt, brisket, and ribs? Is it smoked foods in general that are cooked low and slow over an extended time?
    Do you want a grilling solution for chicken breasts, steaks, and other items that cook quickly? 
    Is it the flavor of food cooked over wood and/or charcoal you miss or is it the time spent outside?
    Depending on your answers you might be best served by a kettle, an acorn, a gasser, or a hibatchi.
    Your short term choice will depend greatly on the answers to these questions - in my opinion.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Sorry to hear about the fire. I'd go with Blackstone 36 and Akorn Jr. I use the crap out of both of them!
    O-Town, FL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2017
    Man I am sorry to hear that.  Just curious- was the LiPo battery for R/C planes?  I just rounded up all my old LiPos and taking them to be recycled. 

I recently got one of these little guys. It was 1/2 price at Wally World so I got it for $100. I don't think I would have paid full price, but damn if this isn't a sweet little cooker. It is cast aluminum and should last forever. It has the grilling capacity of a medium egg.  I was a total gasser-phobe for a long time, but to be honest in the last few months this guy has seen more action than my large or small. 

Image result for weber Q 1200 black

If you want to stick with charcoal, I think I would go with either the Akron or a Weber Jumbo Joe for $50. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Get a mini max. 
    +1 for m/m. Space saving and will compliment your xl beautifully.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    for temporary and stuck with gas, craigslist is loaded with gas grills for cheap. we added an almost new weber to the beach house for 50 bucks, came with 2 full tanks and a new cover
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    another option would be perfecting other types of dishes for the next few months, blackstone pizza oven...wok burner..
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Weber kettle and a slow and sear. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    ...wok burner..
    ^^^^^^^^+++This+++^^^^^^^
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Weber Jumbo Joe? I use mine every week tailgating in the summer. Nice and compact and won't take up much space with the move. Sorry about the house. Bigger and brighter days ahead!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110

I recently got one of these little guys. It was 1/2 price at Wally World so I got it for $100. I don't think I would have paid full price, but damn if this isn't a sweet little cooker. It is cast aluminum and should last forever. It has the grilling capacity of a medium egg.  I was a total gasser-phobe for a long time, but to be honest in the last few months this guy has seen more action than my large or small. 

Image result for weber Q 1200 black

I have the Weber Q2000 I picked up at a Garage Sale for $5- Used once and they even left (2) old shriveled hot dogs still in it.  Anyway I use this now more than my full size Gas Grill and when the big one does die I will just get a stand for this instead.  This thing works great and is super portable.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @xfire_ATX for $5 you definitely have my deal beat. That is a steal!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Everyone I know that has a Q loves it. 
  • BigKlu
    BigKlu Posts: 14
    I have a lot to be thankful for, family and pets made it out and have good insurance so all will be replaced over time.
    As far as what I miss about BBQ'ing, I miss it all.  90% of our meals were off the egg and now it is back to cooking on the stove.  Thought about a smaller egg to compliment the XL but also want to think of other options as well as have something to tide me over till we are back in the house in July.
    The LiPo batteries were for RC airplanes my son and I fly.  
    XL BGE, Akorn and one very old Ducane... 
    HUSKER Football, UK Basketball (Went to 2 good sports schools)  
    Washington Mo.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Best of luck BigKlu - wonderful to hear your family and pets are well. Hopefully all goes well with your rebuild.  

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Wow, house fire is scary! Glad you're ok though. 

If you just need smoothing small I have two ideas; another vote for the Q series gasser, (I have two, one stays in my truck for cooking lunch at work and supper in the hotel parking lot when I'm on the road for work the other on the front porch for quick cooks during the week when I get home at 730-800) the other thought would be to fabricate a mini smoker out of a Weber Smokey Joe. I found several blog posts and YouTube videos of those little rigs. I think they look so neat I'm going to fab one up for keeping in the truck for when I can do a smoke during the work day.

Best of luck on the rebuild.
  • Carolina Q
    How about one of Alton Brown's flower pot smokers? Two flower pots, one electric hot plate, steel cake or pie pan, 14" Weber Smokey Joe cooking grate and a dome thermo. Add some wood chunks to the cake pan set on the hot plate and throw a butt on the grid. It's what I used before a got an egg. Works great as a lo n slo cooker! Sucks as a grill.

I suggest buying the grid first and taking it to the flower pot store to make sure it fits. My pot has a lip that the grid fits on perfectly.

I bought a 750W hot plate and that's not enough for winter temps here. 

If you are restricted from charcoal use, this one can accurately be described as an electric cooker. But that smokey smell and flavor sure is nice!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I 100% agree on the weber Q. I dug one out of a dumpster when I was in California and it gets the bulk of my cooking work.  Chicken breasts, burgers, brats and other weekday meals are so easy on it.

I've even brought it to work and done ribs and tri tip on it just to see if I could.

They are spendy new but worth it. Otherwise I'd get a weber kettle.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your fire. I fly RC as well and I should probably do a better job storing my batteries.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain