Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Show Me Your Guit'

Options
GrateEggspectations
GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,269
edited October 2017 in Off Topic
Inspired by @pgprescott's Show Me Your Stick.

All you guit-players out there - Show me your guitars, amps and accessories.

I'll get the ball rolling.......

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    I don't play, but over the years have acquired a few. My favorite is the '67 Fender hollow body bass.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Wish I had even an ounce of musical ability. Alas, none. Very jealous! Nice. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Like any other skill, it's 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration (I'm from a family of professional and amateur musicians).
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Like any other skill, it's 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration (I'm from a family of professional and amateur musicians).
    I’m sure you’re correct, but some people aren’t ever gonna make the varsity sports team regardless of their effort. I’m like that with the music. I’m sure I could learn to play, just not well. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Eoin said:
    I’m sure you’re correct, but some people aren’t ever gonna make the varsity sports team regardless of their effort. I’m like that with the music. I’m sure I could learn to play, just not well. 
    I too have no natural gift in that direction, but did get up to a reasonable standard by working at it when young. Then I decided my time was better spent on cars and motorbikes, which is still the case today.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    I too have no natural gift in that direction, but did get up to a reasonable standard by working at it when young. Then I decided my time was better spent on cars and motorbikes, which is still the case today.
    I’m in awe of those with the ability to play or sing at really high levels. They are truly blessed with the ability to move so many. Must be awesome. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I'm glad I checked before I posted. 
    Thought it said Show me your gut
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Hoosier_Smoker
    Options
    Homebrew Tele I built a few years ago.  Have several other guitars, amps, pedals, etc.  Seems like the older I get the less I'm into them.

"Get in my belly!" - Fat Bastard

LBGE - Kick Ash Basket, SS Smokeware Cap, CGS PSWoo-CI, Spider, Wok, Broil King Gasser
    Noblesville, IN
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Gibson Jr. in white

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Very nice. I really like the White Falcon. Good looking guitar. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Very nice. I really like the White Falcon. Good looking guitar. 
    Thanks brother. It's the lacquered version, which commands a bit of a premium, but was worth it in my mind.

The Gretsches have a very unique sound. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Black beauty. Sweet!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Black beauty. Sweet!
    Thanks @chuckytheegghead. I was very lucky, in that I bought this guitar second hand in Montreal for a (relatively) decent price years ago. I was convinced I was a strat guy until I played it. Although I still love strats, the '57 is my workhorse. The sustain is unreal. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    It’s really nice, I have the poor mans version. 
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    My Taylor 810
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    It’s really nice, I have the poor mans version. 
    Got the Epiphone? Still a decent guit by any stretch. What are you playing it through?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    My Taylor 810
    Very nice. I've owned a few Taylors in my time. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options

BUMP 

In 2009 I had the opportunity to take a class from a local Luthier who had studied with Masaki Sakurai in Japan, learning the traditional methods of building Kohno guitars. I choose to build a Sapele Mahogany Dreadnaught steel string model during the class, held every Saturday. I was one of four students building guitars with the help of two other Luthers so we could ask questions and get help fixing or hiding our mistakes. As a novice, I made a lot of mistakes since I only had rudimentary wood working skills from time spent in shop in high school many, many years ago.

Each Saturday, class moved thru the construction phases where we made the parts required, sanded, joined parts using hide glue, added truss rod, bracing, neck and frets and finally added the Cashew varnish to our completed guitars. We did not make the rosette or the binding for the top but we did cut the top to fit the rosette and route the top to add the binding. Then sanding, adding varnish, and polishing multiple layers until the guitar was completed. I added an L. R. Baggs dual source system with Element pickup and dual source mic. These are some of the photos taken at the time of the build.

I have two other guitars, one of which I have started restoration on but have put is aside for a bit. 

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Don't fret, I know its not a geetar.   ;)
    But, my moneymaker for many decades:

You can tell how long it's been since I've played, the bow is overdue for a rehair.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:

BUMP 

In 2009 I had the opportunity to take a class from a local Luthier who had studied with Masaki Sakurai in Japan, learning the traditional methods of building Kohno guitars. I choose to build a Sapele Mahogany Dreadnaught steel string model during the class, held every Saturday. I was one of four students building guitars with the help of two other Luthers so we could ask questions and get help fixing or hiding our mistakes. As a novice, I made a lot of mistakes since I only had rudimentary wood working skills from time spent in shop in high school many, many years ago.

Each Saturday, class moved thru the construction phases where we made the parts required, sanded, joined parts using hide glue, added truss rod, bracing, neck and frets and finally added the Cashew varnish to our completed guitars. We did not make the rosette or the binding for the top but we did cut the top to fit the rosette and route the top to add the binding. Then sanding, adding varnish, and polishing multiple layers until the guitar was completed. I added an L. R. Baggs dual source system with Element pickup and dual source mic. These are some of the photos taken at the time of the build.

I have two other guitars, one of which I have started restoration on but have put is aside for a bit. 

Beautiful guitar. I bet you learned a ton over the course of the build. 

Back when I was in university, I was in contact with a local guitarist who had, at that time, built three beautiful steel strings under the tutelage of Sergei de Jonge, who is now based in Chelsea, Quebec, Canada. http://www.dejongelutherie.com/course.html 
    Something I’d always been interested in doing, should I ever have the extra time and money on hand.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Botch: How many instruments did you play and what styles of music?

While I’ve played enough gigs, I never made much money at it. Certainly not enough to fund all of my gear purchases!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    @Botch: How many instruments did you play and what styles of music?

While I’ve played enough gigs, I never made much money at it. Certainly not enough to fund all of my gear purchases!
    First band, trombone & percussion (we did a lot of Chicago, etc)

I inherited my great-grandpa's fiddle in college, and learned to play along with my roommate, who played an Ovation acoustic.  That kinda sucked me into country, and I played fiddle, harmonica, and pedal steel (badly, but you don't have to be fancy to add a lot to the music with pedal steel).  

When I could finally afford a synth, I switched back to rock.  Still played harmonica and fiddle (Orange Blossom Special goes over with any crowd).  

My gigging paid for all my instruments, until the very end.  I bought a new, pro-level tenor sax, practiced at home with it 2 years, then surprised my bandmates in Puddlestone one night by dragging it out.  Sax part on Heart of Rock & Roll sounded SO much better on a real sax, rather than a synth patch!  Band leader's wife got transferred four gigs later, so that was that.   :|

With retirement, I'm starting to toy with the idea of showing up at jam sessions again, we'll see.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SamIAm2
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - That school looks like something you need to do soon! I did learn a lot about other, more hands on techniques, used in some shops instead of the factory CNC, assembly line methods used in major companies. From joining the top pieces and back pieces together with hide glue, sticks, wedges, and twine to Go bars to hold glued bracing in place to dry, radius sanding of the top and bottom, bending and joining sides. 

This little detail was probably the best part of my build and I'm the only one who knows how much work this hidden bit required.
    Keeping the edges sharp was a lot harder than I thought it should be.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @SamIAm2: That’s gorgeous. I am jelly. 

Spent a little time pickin’ the carbon fiber piece today. Am really loving this guy. Needs a little cleaning....

• SamIAm2
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations -What were you pickin' for the family? I see someone in the reflection of that carbon fiber so it isn't that dirty! 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.