Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg temperature—pork loin

i am cooking a 6 lb pork loin. Egg temp is 290. Ok to leave it there until pork internal is 140 or so?

Comments

• That’s a bit hot for a smoke, are you grilling? If grilling bump up to about 350 375 if smoking I would personally drop down to about 225 and give it approx 45 minutes per lb until center is at 140. Pork is one meat that I am happy to see a bit on the dry side of things. Btw looks like you are fairly new, welcome to the community I am a newbie as well, however, I’ve seen my way around a pork tenderloin, it’s a friend favorite. Best of luck! And again Welcome!
  • Cooked a 6 pound pork loin yesterday at 275-300 for about three hours. I was working in the yard and overshot my done temp of 140 and finished at 150. Still enjoyed it!
    Knoxvegas, TN
    LBGE, Broilmaster P3
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    edited December 2017
    i am cooking a 6 lb pork loin. Egg temp is 290. Ok to leave it there until pork internal is 140 or so?
    Yes.

Higher temps get you a better crust but the periphery of the meat is more overcooked.  At lower temps the crust isn't as developed but the meat is more edge meat is closer to the 140 temp that you'll have in the middle of the roast.

275-290 is a good temp for me as I like the net result at that temp.

And welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.