Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just another boring brisket post...

Options
JacksDad
JacksDad Posts: 538
 Got this 12 pound packer from a local butcher. Came trimmed almost perfectly:

Rubbed with just salt and pepper. Into the egg over Rockwood and hickory chunks. Flame Boss 200 keeping an eye on things for me...

Smoked mashed potatoes coming up after the brisket is resting in a FTC.

Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Brisket is not boring!  Looks like you're on your way to a great cook!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Whew! Thought it said BOILING brisket! Rock it! 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Yep. Bring it on. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JacksDad
    Options
    Might be my best yet. But I think I say that every time I make one of these...

Sorry, no pictures of the taters, but I chopped them up with some onions and garlic, braised/boiled in a pan in chicken stock, then drained and whipped into mashed potatoes with butter and cream. 

We ate well tonight! 

Thanks for lookin'!

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I would like some of that. Looks great!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Verndog
    Options
    Looks wonderful!  Yet to do my first on a BGE so I was curious how much time for that size brisket assuming 225-250? I guess some even wrap in butcher paper or foil the last few hours. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Taters- who cares about taters... =)   When messing with the cow, there is no second place!
    Great bark and result right there.  Congrats.  Enjoy the banquet.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Great result! Lots of guys wondering how you got such a great smoke ring I bet. Nice! 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

very nice @JacksDad  As has already been said - briskie is never boring
    Phoenix 
  • JacksDad
    Options
    Verndog said:
    Looks wonderful!  Yet to do my first on a BGE so I was curious how much time for that size brisket assuming 225-250? I guess some even wrap in butcher paper or foil the last few hours. 

I just checked my FB200 data. Lit the egg at 6am, put the brisket on unwrapped at 7 am. Let it ride at 225 for about 7 hours. It was in the stall, and I wanted to eat it before tomorrow, so I wrapped it (foil) and bumped the temp up (several times) until the egg was at 350, internal temp 201. Total cook time a little less than 9 hours. Then I took it off, left it wrapped in the foil in my oven at 170 (as low as it will go) while I did the potatoes.

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad
    Options

As for the smoke ring, I have no idea how I got it so nicely on this one. I did almost exactly the same thing a few weeks ago and had no smoke ring at all. But they tasted the same: delicious! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That's a really nice briskie there. Where about in the Garden State are you?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JacksDad
    Options
    DMW said:
    That's a really nice briskie there. Where about in the Garden State are you?
    North of Central Jersey, south of North Jersey. Straight out Rt 3 from the Lincoln tunnel.

It was a big deal for me to find this butcher with decent prices on whole packers.  Place called Caldwell Marketplace. The Costco's around here don't carry them, I get jealous of everyone else on here with their $2.99/lb prime packers! 

This was choice, and more expensive than Costco, but it tasted damn good to me. And I've cooked two SRF gold briskets. This one was just as good, as far as I could tell. 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Great looking brisket. There's something to be said about starting with a good piece of beef.  

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I’m hungry for brisket now. Great work. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va