Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with leftover ham? Split pea soup and fresh bread!

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Made two loaves of with an overnight polish and split pea soup has been in the crockpot all day.  

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Great comfort food right there. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice. My bone into a pot of butter beans. And cornbread. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Very cool.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Oo nice one! SWMBO saw this and decided she wants to give split pea soup a go, do you have a recipe?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @Stormbringer well my SWMBO usually does the split pea, but the key ingredients are split peas, ham and ham bone if available, sweet onion, carrots and celery.  Don’t salt (ham is salty) but add pepper and a bay leaf.  Base is chicken stock. We cook it I n a crock pot. When cooked, we like to use an immersion blender to give a smoother texture but not necessary. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I’m digging all that!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The bread and soup both look fabulous.

And at the risk of sounding like a moron (which is easy for me), what are split peas?? I have a fair bit of ham leftover form the weekend, so this may be on the menu soon. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    caliking said:
    The bread and soup both look fabulous.

And at the risk of sounding like a moron (which is easy for me), what are split peas?? I have a fair bit of ham leftover form the weekend, so this may be on the menu soon. 
    Dried peas, that are...split.  Looks like a bag of dried lentils, but more greenerer.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-split-peas/125349

that's a big bowl of childhood nostalgia for me @CPARKTX, looks great.
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    @Stormbringer well my SWMBO usually does the split pea, but the key ingredients are split peas, ham and ham bone if available, sweet onion, carrots and celery.  Don’t salt (ham is salty) but add pepper and a bay leaf.  Base is chicken stock. We cook it I n a crock pot. When cooked, we like to use an immersion blender to give a smoother texture but not necessary. 
    Cheers bud.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Oh my goodness. Great combination. Homemade split pea soup and homemade bread. I'll bet that was very tasty.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks @legume. We usually buy beans and lentils from the Indian store so I don't think I've ever really checked out that section at HEB. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.