Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Its that time of the year again! Tell us what you are cooking for Thanksgiving

Options
Thanksgiving line up at my house......
  • One Deep Fried turkey, 15 pound 
  • One Smoked Turkey, 16 pound. this year i will be using meat church brine bath, and Holy Gospel rub. 
  • Home made creamed corn,
  • Home made Creamed corn bread, 
  • Home made Cranberry sauce,
  • home made Green bean casserole, 
  • Glazed carrots, 
  • Mashed potatoes,
  • Sweet Potatoes,
  • Stuffing, and much much more. 

Joey B

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Unfortunately, nothing.  We are going to a catered family Thanksgiving at a church (it burns!).  Also, it is the mother-in-law's 90th birthday on Friday.  Catering by Rouses, will probably be mediocre but less terrible than the SIL's food, she likes to cook Turkey to 200F.
    Options
    I'm doing ham on the egg, not sure about the rest.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• etherdome
    Options
    Non traditional here. On thanksgiving doing oysters, clams, and smoked salmon plus adult beverages per my Asian inlaws request and I am 100% on board. 
    Friday doing a more traditional Thanksgiving with my dad ,minus a turkey. Will be using my green egg for ham (ha ha).  
    My entire family agrees that turkey is highly over rated. 
    Never bad but never great either. 
    Happy thanksgiving everyone!!! 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Lamb tagine. :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• PoppasGrill
    Options
    Gbaby’s mommy is working but she requested ham, with grilled pineapple, and the normal sides. We will take her a big plate to the hospital.
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Turkey on the egg, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, broccoli salad, cranberry sauce, gravy and pumpkin pecan pie. I'm doing it all tomorrow. It'll be a fun marathon.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Leftover turkey made into turkey chili verde. Our big get together was Sunday. I did Egg a 15 lb bird spatchcocked indirect with mad Max. I also made SGH’s appetizer. The rest of the clan’s contributions were to numerous to mention except for a cousin’s fried fig hand pies which was the best of the bunch.
  • jcHopper
    Options
    how do you suggest cooking 5# turkey breast ,1 drumstick, 1 thigh, on large egg?
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Wet brined, spatchcocked, cherry and pecan smoked, on the egg. Everything els is superfluous. 

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Oh, turkey!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• SmokenBonesATX
    Options
    Wife and I are taking it easy at home today since I’m “working”. We have some salmon to cook on a plank for dinner. Then I’ll be throwing on a brisket to smoke overnight for the UT-Tech game tomorrow night. 

Happy Turkey Day all, wishing you a safe and happy one with family and friends!
  • GaryLange
    Options
    I have the Turkey pout of the brine and injected under the skin with butter and a little rub on it. It is now in the Roaster cooking. The sides will be Sweet Potato Casserole, Green Bean Casserole, Scalloped Corn, Pistachio Jello Salad, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Homemade Dressing and Homemade Dinner Rolls. Dessert is Apple Pie with Ice Cream and Pumpkin Pie with Whipped Cream. Busy couple days but it is all worth it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    One more nontraditional.  12-lb brisket (sitting at 194.6 right now), homemade potato salad, cornbread dressing w/gravy (gravy's a vegetable, right?) and buttered rolls; pecan pie for dessert/if there's room.

I've been egging for 5, 6 years now, mostly have it down but every once in awhile She just will NOT behave, and She was a beeotch today.  Ran out of fuel at 0500 this morning (yes, that part was operator error) but after reloading, lighting, letting her get back up to temp, she held for a bit then started going out (this was with an already-warm egg and protein).  Lit again, took her up to 300 before shutting back down, and she sat at 250 for a bit, then cooled down to 175  again.  Opened back up, used a blower, back up to 250, and now dropping again, but the meats' just about there.  I'd kick her butt but that would hurt.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month