Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have to say...the SMOBOT is incredible!

13»

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Botch said:
    As mentioned above mine is en-route; can anyone recommend a reasonable, rechargeable battery pack system for the SMOBOT?  I'm notoriously clumsy (Botch is accurate in so many ways) and would prefer not to have any 9v cords out there for me to trip on.  Thanks!  
    I'm partial to the Anker brand.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    ryantt said:
    What I think is great about the product is the service, hands down the most responsive company I’ve ever felt with.   
    Eric could make a fortune teaching BGE and uuni about product launch management and customer communication
    The 'any day now' in BGE terms is really a year or so from now and the jury is still out on uuni as the summer of 2017 is over and i grew tired of non responses from uuni when inquiring about gas burner availability.  Im sure theres an answer somewhere hidden on their website and schmoes like me can access only after jumping through a bunch of hoops and login sequences that frustrate me to no end...maybe the uuni is just for millenials, i dont know....

BgE failure to deliver a product when indicated actually saved me money as it kept me from dropping $5,000 on the XXL.   Instead i got the minimax, which, as many on this forum will remember was worse than being a little kid anticipating Christmas.  It was like 25 Dec came and went and we got to open presents on Valentine's Day.....
    I paid $1750 for my XXL, no regrats [sic].
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Showoff.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • After seeing the 14 hour 225 degree graph I am even more excited to try this out.

I will be cooking even more with my BGE this coming year.

• YukonRon
    @GrillSgt
    Some folks live the dream. The rest of us stay warm by standing over the bean pot.
    Enjoy, my friend.
    Happy Thanksgiving.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrillSgt said:
    GrillSgt said:

Yours shipped quick. What day did you order? 

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    I just saved $55.80!!!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Monday. And...

• kweitz said:
    I just saved $55.80!!!
    That’s why I had to order one. If I didn’t it would have been like losing $55.80
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • The people that just got theirs did you use it yet? If you did how did it go.
  • GrillSgt
    I did not. I will fire it up Sunday just for orientation and will do a 16 lb. butt whenever it thaws. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    GrillSgt said:
    I'm getting #1109; mine's newer.  :tongue:   =)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch said:
    GrillSgt said:
    I'm getting #1109; mine's newer.  :tongue:   =)
    1115. I can’t wait. I think I even got in my own head a bit yesterday and was chasing temps all day. Won’t have that problem anymore. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • pinballLooking
    pinballLooking Posts: 127
    edited November 2017

Mine is on its way.

• pinballLooking
    pinballLooking Posts: 127
    edited November 2017

Mine was delivered on a Sunday by USPS. Wow I was not expecting that. I am cooking a ham with it right now. :)

• YukonRon
    Way to go. Envy you right now.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mine was delivered on a Sunday by USPS. Wow I was not expecting that. I am cooking a ham with it right now. :)

I can’t figure out any rhyme or reason to why they deliver Sunday. I’ll get random packages on Sundays, but I’ve never actually requested that. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • jeponline said:

Mine was delivered on a Sunday by USPS. Wow I was not expecting that. I am cooking a ham with it right now. :)

I can’t figure out any rhyme or reason to why they deliver Sunday. I’ll get random packages on Sundays, but I’ve never actually requested that. 

I did not request Sunday delivery. When I tracked the package it said Monday was the day for delivery. But very cool they brought it today.

•  Dang, sorry I missed the sale.  Any talk of a pre-Christmas sale?
  • Mine was delivered on a Sunday by USPS. Wow I was not expecting that. I am cooking a ham with it right now. :)

If it came via Amazon fulfillment on Sunday in a USPS truck I have heard a reason for this from SWMBO; Amazon subs the vehicles from USPS for Sunday deliveries. If it wasn't Amazon IDK?
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    How long did it take for shipment?  I ordered mine Monday.  Thanks
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • Botch

If it came via Amazon fulfillment on Sunday in a USPS truck I have heard a reason for this from SWMBO; Amazon subs the vehicles from USPS for Sunday deliveries. If it wasn't Amazon IDK?
    I did not know this.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Made a pork butt overnight on Saturday night. Started the fire early around 9pm and ended up putting the butt on at midnight. Ran at 225 all night, but actually had my fire go out around 8am. Quick relight and I kicked it up to 250 (I think this is my eggs happy place). Pushed the temp up a couple more times so I could be ready to FTC by 4pm.

At 3:45 I checked with the thermopen and I now finally understand what “probes like butter” means. Ended up with the best pork butt I’ve ever had and it shredded super easy. Guests seemed to enjoy it as well. 

Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    jeponline said:
    Ran at 225 all night, but actually had my fire go out around 8am. Quick relight and I kicked it up to 250 (I think this is my eggs happy place). Pushed the temp up a couple more times so I could be ready to FTC by 4pm.

Would you mind sharing how you make your fires?  It would be nice to know what may have been the reason for the lost flame.  Could help us all prevent such from happening in the future.  I have not had any issues, but that doesn't mean it cannot happen.
  • dsleight said:
    jeponline said:
    Ran at 225 all night, but actually had my fire go out around 8am. Quick relight and I kicked it up to 250 (I think this is my eggs happy place). Pushed the temp up a couple more times so I could be ready to FTC by 4pm.

Would you mind sharing how you make your fires?  It would be nice to know what may have been the reason for the lost flame.  Could help us all prevent such from happening in the future.  I have not had any issues, but that doesn't mean it cannot happen.
    I used a looftlighter. First time I’ve ever had one go out. Two things that were different this time than most is that I was running at 225 instead of my usual 250-275 and I was using the bottom of a bag of charcoal so I had a lot more small pieces and fines than normal. 

When I realized the fire was out, I just gave the coals a quick stir and hit it with the looftlighter again. Recovery was quick. Tough to tell from the graph, but I caught it at 200 (looking forward to an alarm feature) and the pswoo made it super easy to get to the coals. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • GrillSgt
    You nailed it. Small lump and low temps don't go together. 
  • Botch
    dsleight said:
    jeponline said:

I haven't had a fire go out overnight since getting my Kick-Ash.... until this last thanksgiving!  My new Smoke alerted me at 0500, and when I pulled the brisket out, could see that a hole had burned from top to bottom in my lump (fresh Rockwood, lit with one cake in the center), unburned lump stacked around the hole on all sides.  I've read about that happening on this forum, first time I'd ever seen it personally.  I put on my gloves, lifted the KAB and gave it a quick shake, and replaced the brisket.  Went to the kitchen to spritz a paper towel with oil (to stuff into the intake and re-light) but the fire had already recovered when I got back outside.  
    Lump is variable, and the fire gods will play tricks when it suites their fancy.  That's why our toys have alarms on them, I guess.  When I use up the last of my starter cakes I'm probably going to go with the paper towel/oil method from here on out; I pull the KAB to clean out the ash every time anyway, easy to drop in the towel before replacing, and I think the heat coming up from the bottom will prevent this odd Chimney effect in the future (and really, that was only once in 5, 6 years).  

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Botch said:
    dsleight said:
    jeponline said:

I haven't had a fire go out overnight since getting my Kick-Ash.... until this last thanksgiving!  My new Smoke alerted me at 0500, and when I pulled the brisket out, could see that a hole had burned from top to bottom in my lump (fresh Rockwood, lit with one cake in the center), unburned lump stacked around the hole on all sides.  I've read about that happening on this forum, first time I'd ever seen it personally.  I put on my gloves, lifted the KAB and gave it a quick shake, and replaced the brisket.  Went to the kitchen to spritz a paper towel with oil (to stuff into the intake and re-light) but the fire had already recovered when I got back outside.  
    Lump is variable, and the fire gods will play tricks when it suites their fancy.  That's why our toys have alarms on them, I guess.  When I use up the last of my starter cakes I'm probably going to go with the paper towel/oil method from here on out; I pull the KAB to clean out the ash every time anyway, easy to drop in the towel before replacing, and I think the heat coming up from the bottom will prevent this odd Chimney effect in the future (and really, that was only once in 5, 6 years).  

Interesting.  I too have had peculiar issues with fire and lump and ended up chalking it up to the fire Gods.  Thanks for the info.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Botch said:
    ... a hole had burned from top to bottom in my lump (fresh Rockwood, lit with one cake in the center), unburned lump stacked around the hole on all sides...  
    Interesting. I'm wondering if you had too many voids between the large RW chunks?  When I do long low and slow I like to mix large and small pieces to minimise voids.
    canuckland