Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back ribs

Cooking my second rack of baby back ribs this weekend.  Last one I did indirect at 275 2-2-1 with beer poured in my second stage foil. Turned out great. Would like to carmelize the sauce a little more this time. Any suggestions?
Knoxvegas, TN
LBGE, Broilmaster P3

Comments

• You'll get a dozen ideas on this and it all comes down to personal taste. My sweet spot requires just an hour in foil and no liquid added during that stage, maybe some brown sugar if I'm in the mood. They will be plenty tender with an hour in foil, but when adding liquid or going longer they get too mushy for our taste. I would encourage you to just experiment until you find the method that delivers what you're looking for.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    edited November 2017
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Given Friday night your request could likely be lost among  the adult beverage fueled posts/threads.
    I'm guessing your above description means you had an hour outside the foil (after the 2 hour beer bath) and the sauce was still not carmelized??  I'm surprised by that as usually anything 30 minutes or more is enough time to get the sauce to set.  The time-frame in the foil (I don't go there) prior to setting the sauce is to achieve the level of "pull or fall off the bone" texture you are aiming for.  Sounds like you nailed that part of the cook.  Wish I had a key to your issue.
    You may want to apply less sauce but keep at it.  There are many variations to rib cooks and you will get to your nirvana soon.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Try 2.5-1-1.  I like honey, and orange juice in the foil. This is a steam/braise.  Last 20 minutes carmelize a BBQ sauce on the ribs over direct heat.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    To  caramelize the sauce simply sauce earlier at the end. Try 10 min earlier than you did last time and pull when you like the looks of it 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I made ribs yesterday myself. 225F 5 hours, rubbed with my own concoction, of whatever spices I have, then smoked with peach. If I add sauce, which I rarely ever do, I do so the last 30 to 45 minutes, which is more than enough time to achieve caramelization. I never wrap in foil, just let them ride, bones down, indirect, serve smoked and rubbed.
    I will have sauce available for anyone that wants it, but nobody ever does.
    Welcome to the forum.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    Welcome aboard fellow Vol.   I agree with some of the comments above.   Just experiment to determine what you like.   I tend to cook 2.5 x 2 x .5 at 225F.   In the foil portion of the cook I add a little honey, brown sugar and butter.  I obviously like my baby backs sweet and like them to fall off the bone.   
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.

• bgebrent said:
    Try 2.5-1-1.  I like honey, and orange juice in the foil. This is a steam/braise.  Last 20 minutes carmelize a BBQ sauce on the ribs over direct heat.

Do you do the entire cook direct?
    Knoxvegas, TN
    LBGE, Broilmaster P3

• Knoxvegas, TN
    LBGE, Broilmaster P3
  • Done!
    Knoxvegas, TN
    LBGE, Broilmaster P3
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Nope, gotta eat dem bad boys now! Nice! Love me some Bad Byron’s. 
  • bgebrent

bgebrent said:

Do you do the entire cook direct?
    Sorry, I don't consistently get notifications when quoted.  Not all bad.  The entire cook is indirect at 275.  How were your ribs?
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    The sauce looks caramelized :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Perfect! Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Knoxvegas, TN
    LBGE, Broilmaster P3
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Perfect! Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Now you’re done!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Nailed it-congrats.  Out of curiosity (and for follow-on eggers) "What did you change up to achieve your desired end result?"
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TN_Voleggteer
    TN_Voleggteer Posts: 22
    edited November 2017
    250-275, 2-2 (foil/dry) - 45 min (had an interruption, pumped temp up to 300 for last stage).

Bad Byron’s Butt Rubb last night, let set in reefer overnight, rubbed lightly again before putting on Egg @250-275 with some pecan wood for 2 hours bone side down, 2 hours in dry foil, then sauced (Sweet Baby Ray’s) for 45 min. 
    Knoxvegas, TN
    LBGE, Broilmaster P3
  • bgebrent
    Please describe your "reefer overnight " technique further. 
  • bgebrent said:
    Please describe your "reefer overnight " technique further. 
    Agreed. This sounds like a game-changer. I'm sure the technique and ribs both gave you the munchies.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,715
    Welcome aboard!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• “Reefer” ~ refrigerator, smh
    Knoxvegas, TN
    LBGE, Broilmaster P3
  • YukonRon said:
    I made ribs yesterday myself. 225F 5 hours, rubbed with my own concoction, of whatever spices I have, then smoked with peach. If I add sauce, which I rarely ever do, I do so the last 30 to 45 minutes, which is more than enough time to achieve caramelization. I never wrap in foil, just let them ride, bones down, indirect, serve smoked and rubbed.
    I will have sauce available for anyone that wants it, but nobody ever does.
    Welcome to the forum.
    I like this idea more as it seems a lot less complicated. The ratios are posted with no explanation. I have tried but one rib smoke which were St. Louis cut and they were great with nothing but a dry rob and a prayer
    Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.