Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT--- I am officially retired---OT

bucky925
bucky925 Posts: 2,029
After 35 years on the railroad, griping and b!tching about working nights and weekends, in all kinds of weather, I have pulled the pin.  Mrs. Bucky and I have paid dearly into railroad retirement for 3 decades, never paid Social Security.  From the last estimate I heard we (railroad retirement) was 21 billion that's with a B in the black.  We "railroad retirement " have bailed out SS 2 times in my career" to keep congress from taking it. 

The RR was all I have ever known, and walking away is hard, but at 56 years old I think I can make the transition.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Comments

• Awesome!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    congrats. 21 billion is a decent nest egg.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Congrats brother Bucky...  Enjoy....   I retired at 55 almost 8 yrs ago...  Love it!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    I'm decades away from that. What a feeling that must be. Congratulations!
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Congratulations !  Hope to join you soon.  Lots of time for the Egg now.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Congrats! Enjoy it. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    so awesome....
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    That's outstanding brother.  Congratulations.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Congratulations...find a way to stay busy and you guys go have a blast.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Congratulations, you've earned it.  Enjoy your new found freedom!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    35 years. Awesome for you, bad for the railroad. Enjoy every single day, to the MAX!!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Very cool.  Congrats on enjoying the rest of your life!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Congrats. Looking forward to seeing some more weekday cooks... 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    I never thought I would last till now.   When I hired on in '81 I was a clerk.  Well technology took over and we were no longer needed.  I went on to become a dispatcher, and low and behold they moved the office to another state.  Not wanting to rob our daughter of a extended family I went to the mechinical department.  I worked my way up to machinist.  I had no earthy idea what a RR machinist was, but thank goodness the bar was not set very high and they thought I was actually good!  :)  After that I became the gange leader for the bustiestest (sp) fueling and distrubition faciality in the south east.  Go figure how or what roads will take you. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Congrats!

You haven't really retired tho until that point after you've been off the job for a few months when you start forgetting what day of the week it is. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Fun times are about to start
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@bucky925 I wish you congrats, and all the very best.  Good for you.

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Welcome aboard!!! I bailed at age 60 some 12 soon to be 13 years ago. Whatever you do learn to settle down, pace yourself, enjoy these years hereafter since all too soon you will learn the number of years ahead of you are NOT as many - nor as healthy - as the ones before you! ENJOY the NOW, relish the past, and be thankful you are now out of the rat race - or whatever you called it. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    A key to success is to either own and wear a watch that provides the date and day of the week (railroaders are famous for that ;) )  or find an electronic instrument has at least one option; the ability to verbally transmit the date and as above the most important info-the day of the week.  When every day feels like Saturday... FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    lousubcap said:
    A key to success is to either own and wear a watch that provides the date and day of the week (railroaders are famous for that ;) )  or find an electronic instrument has at least one option; the ability to verbally transmit the date and as above the most important info-the day of the week.  When every day feels like Saturday... FWIW-
    huh??? I have NOT worn a watch in the past 12 years!!! The best way to know the date is "the FAT paper day" means Sunday and you can see the date on the front page! ;)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Good going, I retired at 56 with about the same number of years credit. It is nice to be able to do what I want when I want . I wasn’t in the railroad but my uncle and cousin were. I also worked on some railroad crossing projects representing the state D.O.T. It can be an adjustment. The first couple of weeks my dog kept trying to wake me up to go to work but he adjusted too.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Congratulations!  I love retirement, and I hope you do, too!
  • 56 damn. I'm way jelly.  
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Let the good times roll....enjoy!

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Never looking back is a fundamental to life in general.  As the late, great LeRoy Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."  About the best approach you can take.   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Two years now into my retirement after 35 years in Law Enforcement, only thing I knew also.  I can honestly say the only thing I miss is not being with my squad mates on a regular basis. But loving retirement.  Congrats and Enjoy it...there is life after years on the job.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Hoosier_Smoker
    Hoosier_Smoker Posts: 35
    edited November 2017
    Congratulations!  Retired railroader here too.  42 years was enough.  Retirement to me IS everything it's cracked up to be.  However, you'll probably be so busy that you will be asking yourself, "How did I ever have time to get all this done while I was working?"
    "Get in my belly!" - Fat Bastard

LBGE - Kick Ash Basket, SS Smokeware Cap, CGS PSWoo-CI, Spider, Wok, Broil King Gasser
    Noblesville, IN
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Congratulations!   As your first order of business, are you taking a trip on a train?

I don't think I will be able to retire at that age.  Some kids will still be at home.  . . If the millennials are any indication of what's to come.  . . They might all still be at home.  

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Congratulations! Well deserved after all the years.
    BGE Large. Ok, a Webber Gasser too.