Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Refrigerator Recommendations

lkapigian
lkapigian Posts: 10,706
Looking to take advantage of Early Black Friday Sales, have not had a new fridge in years. Looking for some input from anyone who has a newer one , the good the bad and anything in between

Would like SS as my whole kitchen is stainless, would really like a Retro look, but no Big Box stores sell that, freezer on top or bottom, pros and cons etc

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

Comments

• lkapigian
    Perfect @theyolksonyou Thank You!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2017
    lkapigian said:
    Looking to take advantage of Early Black Friday Sales, have not had a new fridge in years. Looking for some input from anyone who has a newer one , the good the bad and anything in between

Would like SS as my whole kitchen is stainless, would really like a Retro look, but no Big Box stores sell that, freezer on top or bottom, pros and cons etc

My only input is side by side sucks for us. And the in door ice storage/dispensers, in this high humidity part of the south, always frost up. I have to pull it out at least every other month and defrost it.
    Next will be freezer on bottom, possibly with split top upper/french doors.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • My dog loves ice. He would also be smart enough to operate the ice dispensor or pull on a handle to open a fridge and steal cheese. Otherwise my parent love their stainless side by side LG.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Whichever one you get, skip the ice maker, no one has figured out how to make a good one yet.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • lkapigian
    Thanks all for the replies , looking at @theyolksonyou thread Bosch faired pretty well . Glad I checked that thread as I was looking @ LG and Samsung . I like the I thought I would like the freezer on the bottom but that did not fair to well either...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited November 2017
    Whatever you decide to buy, please please avoid electrolux. CRAP, just crap!
    Also, do not buy an LG product without a maintenance contract. Why would you even consider it then....

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• lkapigian
    @Aviator you are right 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Here's a link to a recent fridge thread that may provide some insights:

I hate my fridge  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We like our 28 cf Samsung.

• lkapigian

That is nice , how old is that @nolaegghead
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    One year around thanksgiving.  Now's the time to buy.  Lots o sales in the next few weeks.  We got something like $700-800 off.  It's like buying last years new car.  
    One year around thanksgiving.  Now's the time to buy.  Lots o sales in the next few weeks.  We got something like $700-800 off.  It's like buying last years new car.  
    It’s 45% off through the end of the month
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984

Excellent placement of the Evan Williams.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843

the only negative we have with the bottom freezer is that the kids can easily access ice cream and ice pops and like to take it and hide, so if you have small kids FYI, if not we really like the internal layout.  we have GE, I get a discount through work for them and it has been great.  one other thing I like is the size of the opening for the water dispenser.  my in-laws you cant fit a large yeti cup in it but ours I can fit my 64oz yeti growler and with the auto fill just hit and walk away.  below is a link to a very similar one that we have.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Cafe-27-8-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Stainless-steel-ENERGY-STAR/50254573

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I like the bottom freezer.  I like being able to get things from the frig portion without having to bend over.  The freezer gets opened a lot less than the frig portion.

I expect ice makers to wear out on a regular basis (like tires on a car).  I prefer the basic ice maker that dumps into a bin inside the freezer.  They are normally easy to replace and less complicated than the thru the door versions.  Last time my ice maker stopped working, I tried going back to the old fashion ice trays.  That lasted a few weeks - having ice available on demand is something I really like.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    next fridge will be one of those narrow styles, pretty much dont need a giant collect all condiment fridge. fridge at camp is so full of condiments, pickles, etc i have a hard time putting 2 days of food in it for the weekend, say 2 steaks, a pound of burger, a quart of milk, some deli meat, and i can no longer shut the door =) i never buy more than 2 days ahead anyways
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kent8621 said:

the only negative we have with the bottom freezer is that the kids can easily access ice cream and ice pops and like to take it and hide, so if you have small kids FYI, if not we really like the internal layout.  we have GE, I get a discount through work for them and it has been great.  one other thing I like is the size of the opening for the water dispenser.  my in-laws you cant fit a large yeti cup in it but ours I can fit my 64oz yeti growler and with the auto fill just hit and walk away.  below is a link to a very similar one that we have.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Cafe-27-8-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Stainless-steel-ENERGY-STAR/50254573

We have a 2014 Cafe 29 cu ft model. Same deal with the work discount, couldn’t beat the price. The bottom freezer holds a lot more than i expected.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Bought the top rated Consumer reports model french door (Kenmore Elite) which is a rebranded LG.  Had to have main circuit board and ice maker changed out under warranty.  Now it's amazing and crossing my fingers it stays that way. My father has a lesser version of this and lost a compressor after 3 years.  Definitely keep a service policy if LG.  I hear some appliance companies refuse to service that brand.  Don't understand how CR rated them so high?
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Kent8621 said:

+1 on the GE. Remodeled our kitchen in June, bought all new GE appliances, Profile line. Since we stayed in that line we got a nice rebate, $400. Love the refrigerator-it is a double French door, freezer on bottom. I will never go back to any other set up. The refrigerator has everything at shoulder/eye level, no bending down to clean, pull stuff etc. Plus freezer is very roomy. Only downside: due to our small kitchen we got a counter depth-so not as roomy in fridge due to not as much depth. Plus you cannot fit wine bottles in door as it is too skinny-but heh, that is what the basement fridge is for!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • lkapigian
    Thank you ALL for the input and recommendations I did ultimately go with Samsung like @nolaegghead posted but with the extra horizontal door. 47% off was the kicker and I got the extended warranty...delivered tomorrow we will see how it goes

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    I would buy a bottom freezer and not get LG     We have had nothing but problems with LG and the servicemen they recommend say not to buy them.  There customer service is awful and in our refrig the ice maker will not keep up with just the two of us when set to high ice output.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    Thank you ALL for the input and recommendations I did ultimately go with Samsung like @nolaegghead posted but with the extra horizontal door. 47% off was the kicker and I got the extended warranty...delivered tomorrow we will see how it goes

In just had it delivered ....DOA, Strike 1 on Samsung, bringing another tomorrow 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    That's not good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • lkapigian
    edited November 2017
    texaswig said:
    That's not good. 
    Not the happiest camper, they did jump,on it while the delivery people were still here and bringing another in the AM system cooling works, quiet as heck but something wrong with the display control , no ice water and no ability to do anything ...No one even knows what the flashing Fault Code is...looks good in place though 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hope the second one works for you
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    The only two people I know that have Samsung fridges have circuit board problems just like yours arrived with.  Replaced electronics 3 times in one year.  They are in to repairs for over a grand. 

My parents won't fix theirs.  They  run with no display and  no ice maker.  

I hope your experience is better! 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lkapigian
    edited November 2017
    kl8ton said:
    The only two people I know that have Samsung fridges have circuit board problems just like yours arrived with.  Replaced electronics 3 times in one year.  They are in to repairs for over a grand. 

My parents won't fix theirs.  They  run with no display and  no ice maker.  

I hope your experience is better! 

@kl8ton that is exactly what this is doing ...I will be patient , then vocal 

Code PC Ch that nobody knows what it means and no info online
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian