Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Onlyfire Ash Basket

Options
Anybody have any experience with the Onlyfire Ash Basket? Says it's made from stainless steel and it's half the price of the Kickash Basket. I figure someone on here has had to have tried it. I have a large BGE and I was wondering how it fits in comparison. I'm tempted to try one. Does a basket like this even offer enough advantage over the stock grate?
Green Eggin' in South Carolina
Go Gamecocks!!!

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Looks like a knockoff. FWIW I've been happy with my Kickash baskets. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have the Onlyfire charcoal gates in both my eggs and to me they seem better then what some of others are offering.
    If this is what you are looking at it seems less then half price for stainless steel.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charcoal-Ash-Basket-Fits-for-Large-BGE-Kamado-Joe-Classic-Primo-Kamado-Grill/263301750919?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140602152332&meid=5997d876bb5e4943985fa1536c36e6ca&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=282589693071&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

There is no indication on the gauge of the wire or spacing in this listing though. For the price it's almost worth giving it a try.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    My current KAB is warped. I was given a nearly free one after cooking at the local eggfest. It's the newer thicker version. I have yet to switch it out for the older version. 

I just bought two from the link above. For that price it's worth checking out. I'm going to keep one and give the other one to my Dad as a Christmas gift.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • camofreak
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    My current KAB is warped. I was given a nearly free one after cooking at the local eggfest. It's the newer thicker version. I have yet to switch it out for the older version. 

I just bought two from the link above. For that price it's worth checking out. I'm going to keep one and give the other one to my Dad as a Christmas gift.
    When you get it, let us know how it compares. How it fits. The gauge of the wire. That kind of stuff. I’d appreciate it. I may place an order.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    camofreak said:
    WeberWho said:

When you get it, let us know how it compares. How it fits. The gauge of the wire. That kind of stuff. I’d appreciate it. I may place an order.
    Will do! I'm interested myself
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    You guys must have bought them all.  Shows no longer available!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,050
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You guys must have bought them all.  Shows no longer available!
    Seller is wondering what happened.  Currently ordering 10,000 from China with plans to increase price to $48. Envisioning what she is going to do with the untapped gold mine she struck.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I’ve purchased like a dozen of these.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Seller will be stuck with 9,995 of them and broke. Unless they are awesome, then seller will buy a yacht with 5 green eggs as the galley. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Also interested in the results; otherwise, I will be pulling the trigger on a KAB in the next few weeks.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Also interested in the results; otherwise, I will be pulling the trigger on a KAB in the next few weeks.
    You might have to wait for the next batch of 10,000 as they are gone.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    This may have been the counterfeit on Amazon that called themselves the KAB originally.  Chad had to fight to get them off of there and remain the one that showed up when someone searched for a Kick Ash Basket.

If it's the same, then it was a piece of crap.  It didn't fit the same, the welds broke, etc.  That's been a few years ago, but who knows.  He's got a patent on the thing and this looks to be a direct knock off.  Hope he can go after them.

Hard to fight stuff on eBay.  That's why we stopped producing our replacement fire grate.  Ours wasn't anything special, but other sellers started making them in thinner steel and painting them rather than the thick stainless that we were doing.  Then they called themselves the "original" and said "don't overpay for stainless!!".  Ours was cut on a $60K plasma table and had the corners beveled.  There's was some guy in a garage with an angle grinder and no insurance or warranty.  So, we got out of that business......KAB is a far superior product to the one we were making anyway.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    This may have been the counterfeit on Amazon that called themselves the KAB originally.  Chad had to fight to get them off of there and remain the one that showed up when someone searched for a Kick Ash Basket.

If it's the same, then it was a piece of crap.  It didn't fit the same, the welds broke, etc.  That's been a few years ago, but who knows.  He's got a patent on the thing and this looks to be a direct knock off.  Hope he can go after them.

Hard to fight stuff on eBay.  That's why we stopped producing our replacement fire grate.  Ours wasn't anything special, but other sellers started making them in thinner steel and painting them rather than the thick stainless that we were doing.  Then they called themselves the "original" and said "don't overpay for stainless!!".  Ours was cut on a $60K plasma table and had the corners beveled.  There's was some guy in a garage with an angle grinder and no insurance or warranty.  So, we got out of that business......KAB is a far superior product to the one we were making anyway.
    With so many welds being used to assemble a lump basket, Weld Quality would be a big issue.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

I heartily disagree on this. Your expanded steel grate is much better than the KAB for me. There is a reason I've used the KAB 3 times and yours too many to count.
  • rekameohs
    Options
    THe's got a patent on the thing and this looks to be a direct knock off. 

A patent on a wire basket?  Even if so, it seems like it would be easy to make a tweak or two to have a different product.

I have had a KAB for a couple years, and have been happy, but they do seem to be a bit overpriced.  Of course, after seeing posts here, and learning of all the must-haves, I now have a lot of "grill accessories" that now fall in that category.
    Raleigh, NC
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options

Invest once in a quality product and you will not have to invest twice, once in an inferior and again in a higher quality replacement.

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
     Looks like they took the KAB and just copied it with cheaper metal.

I thought my KABs had round grates on the bottom. But looking at their website, looks like some are round and some are straight. I bought mine from their store, once on their website and another in person.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Toxarch said:
     Looks like they took the KAB and just copied it with cheaper metal.

I thought my KABs had round grates on the bottom. But looking at their website, looks like some are round and some are straight. I bought mine from their store, once on their website and another in person

Chad told me why they switched to the straight bars across the bottom.....I can't remember why, but it had to do with the expansion and welds.  
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Actually these are nothing new, they've been around at least as long as I've been egging. Over 12 years. The crook Richard Johnson sold these with the cement cooker he used to peddle.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kamado+wire+basket&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixlaD4gL_XAhVDzlQKHRFTDi0Q_AUICygC&biw=2133&bih=1070