Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Your first concert

Options

Comments

• BPFBGE
    BPFBGE Posts: 32
    Options
    September 7th 1984 Mile High Stadium Michael Jackson Victory tour.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Jethro Tull 1978. Bursting Out tour. Before Ian fired the big band so he could try and figure out what people wanted to hear in the awful 80s :)
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    1981.  It was the Minneapolis based rock band Chameleon featuring the artist now simply known as Yanni.  :)
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    U2 Rattle and Hum.  Sun Devil Stadium.  1987
    Spoiled right out of the gate!  What a show man!  Nice.
    My brother was all fired up about it because it was U2 and it was the setting for part of the movie shoot.  I think they did two shows.   The one i went to opened up with Where the Streets Have No Name and even though our seats were in upper deck, we had a good view of the stage and the sound carry was pretty strong.  My bro was down in the third row in front of the stage.

I saw u2 in 2015 at the phx suns arena indoor venue and they went high tech for that one
    Always entertaining and Bono is small in stature but a giant in his area.  I never knew the inspiration behind so much of their music until the 2015 show and its pretty powerful.

Ive seen the Cult 14 times at smaller venues....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    geils was first and best at boston gardens, ramones at the cape were right there though and they were just the b52 backup band at the time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NotEnoughSmoke
    Options
    First Concert was Foo Fighters ( Weezer was the opener) in Chicago Illinois.  One of the most memorable experiences of my life!
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
    Currently live in Southern Oklahoma/ North Texas region
    Born and raised in Chicago! Da BEARS
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    1975 - ZZ Top - Fairgrounds Oklahoma City, OK.  My big sister took me!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Now don't be jealous of the show I'm about to drop on you as my first.....Leif Garrett and the Bay City Rollers at Six Flags.  BOOM!!  

I've carried that with me ever since.....the shame.

Promised I would do better with my kids.  Son's first concert was the Avett Brothers.  Girls was Zac Brown.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    early 80's parked the car on the highway, hiked thru the woods, jumped the fence, got past the guards, saw cheap trick, ratt, twisted focking sister, and lita ford in a sandpit. twisted sister was tossing cold beers into the crowd
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Sophomore year in high school, 1991, Def Leppard Hysteria Tour in Odessa, TX.  Great Concert.  Was amazed watching Rick Allen play the drums.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    I had definitely seen live music before this but the first big concert I remember going to was the Baltimore stop on the first Summer Sanitarium tour (2000) featuring Kid Rock, Powerman 5k, Korn, System of a Down, and Metallica.  The concert was held at the brand new Ravens Stadium and my buddy's parents drove us down from the suburbs an hour north.  We loved this type of music at the time, especially System of a Down and Metallica so the show blew our minds, it felt like Metallica played for 2 hours straight.  
    My sister took her son to that concert.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    edited November 2017
    Options
    1978 Doobie Brothers, Hartford, CT.  I saw one song, made out with the girl next to me for the second song, then spent the rest of the show puking up the pint of Southern Comfort I drank.  High school kids, I tell ya!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Junior year of high school (2002) Incubus in Peoria, IL.  The night before was the first time enjoying the devil's grass, in preparation of what was going to be thrown at me during the concert.

Since then I've seen literally everything (except country music).  Been to everything from 50 cent to James Taylor to Buddy Guy to Wide Spreed Panic to Korn.   Going to see the Foo at Wrigley this summer.  First time seeing them and can not wait.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    My first concert was George Thorogood and the Destroyers at an outdoor show in Minneapolis. My second was the Rolling Stones (Steel Wheels Tour) in about 1990 or so while I was in high school. I remember talking my friends into going by saying "When are we ever going to have a chance to see these guys again?" I may have repeated that same line again four years (or so) later while attending college. Funny that the Stones have pretty much been touring on a semi-regular basis in the more than two decades that followed and I'm sure Keith Richards will outlive us all.
    Stillwater, MN
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Not sure if it was first or not, but within about a years span I saw Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, and then Van Halen with Sammy on Vocals. Had to have been 84-85 range. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Way back machine here - Three Dog Night - at the Enlisted Mens Club, Great Lakes Naval Training Center in 1969 if I remember correctly. "One" was playing on Chicago radio stations pretty heavily. Nice small concert, drinking beer and enjoying the music.

Then Archie Bell & The Drells in the EMC in a much smaller room, got to sit very close and had a great time watching their routines. 

Steppenwolf - Jacksonville 1969. They were promoting their new album "Monster". After the first song, the hipsters in the crowd hollered out "Play the Pusher". John Kay told the crowd they would play the Pusher as their last song. They then played "Draft Resistor" and the same thing happened. Kay patiently repeated that it would be their last song. Did another song from the new album and the same thing again. So they played "The Pusher" and left the stage.  Respect for John Kay for doing what he said the band would do but it was a really short concert.

Next was Blood, Sweat, and Tears in Jacksonville. They played "Spinning Wheel" and the guys did solo's for trumpet, sax, piano, guitar that made the song much longer than the record. Great concert.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Now don't be jealous of the show I'm about to drop on you as my first.....Leif Garrett and the Bay City Rollers at Six Flags.  BOOM!!  

I've carried that with me ever since.....the shame.

Promised I would do better with my kids.  Son's first concert was the Avett Brothers.  Girls was Zac Brown.  
    Ouch.  Glad your kids got some killer first shows.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options

First real concert was Three Dog Night with Uriah Heep - 1971 at the Indiana State Fairgrounds Coliseum. Prior to that, saw many up and coming live acts at an under 21 venue on the southside of Indianapolis called The Sherwood Country Club. As I recall, the membership dues were something like $5.00, which got you a membership card good for discounted entry. They booked local, regional, and national acts to play every Friday and Saturday night. They had an open dance floor/ standing room only in front of the stage with tables and chairs on each side. I spent many weekends at The Sherwood after Friday night football games and basketball games throughout high school. Some of the acts that came through were REO Speedwagon, Tommy James & The Shondells, The Lemon Pipers, The Buckinghams, James Gang, Golden Earring, Mountain, and many others. Great times!

Funny story - had 2nd row tickets to see The Fabulous Temptations with special guests The Spinners at The Indiana Convention Center in May, 1973. Couldn’t see a dang thing because the brothers in front of us had a couple of the biggest afros you’ve ever seen!

Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Spirit at Panther Hall in Ft Worth. That’s where I learned not to stand on folding chairs. 
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Saw Simple Minds at Celebrity Theater in pix about 15 or so yrs ago, maybe 20.  It was magic....
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I found my box of concert ticket stubs from my youth. Probably 100 of them.

Here's a few from the 70's.

Nice grouping but somebody forgot how to spell Ted's name properly =)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Hotwingking
    Options
    A few of my concerts, first was John Cougar in 1988, the 2 on the top right are Alabama 1990 and 91
    Had to throw in Superstars of WWF 1986
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Doobie Brothers - Barnhill Arena, Fayetteville , AR 1975

i have tickets to see the Doobie Brothers and ZZ Top in one concert in January.  I can't believe these guys are still performing.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Foo Fighters we're amazing.  My son was super into it for about the first hour, but then got tired.  Oh well.  They played for 3 hours and sounded great.  I have no idea how Dave can scream like that every night and not totally destroy his voice.  The opener The Struts we're good too...never heard them before so I need to check them out.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Interesting how we have advanced from tearing the ticket to leaving in tact as a suvinier. Another technology advancement of automating a process. Some great shows by the way. Never saw Zappa...had to be an interesting evening.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Interesting how we have advanced from tearing the ticket to leaving in tact as a suvinier. Another technology advancement of automating a process. Some great shows by the way. Never saw Zappa...had to be an interesting evening.
    Yeah, thats the damn shame of the Guns and Roses show...we ordered online and printed the tickets out.  :bawling:
    Gittin' there...
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    dmchicago said:

What I remember of it...
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • rob75in
    Options
    KISS 1979 Brussels - Belgium aged 11! Blew me away 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Black Sabbath Mob Rules tour.  My parents had season tix for the Country series at Merriwether Post Pavilion and they cancelled a concert and subbed Black Sabbath lol.  They drove my brother and I (16 and 14 at the time)to the concert, 6th row center.  I remember someone standing on the roof of their car screaming "eat acid and kill your parents" as my parents dropped us off.  My brother complained of his ears ringing for two weeks after.  It was awesome.