Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Nog

Options
Christmas egg nog made and in the fridge. Potent stuff. https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

That's 1 gallon of nog and the better part of a 1.75. Plus a bit for papa in the other fridge.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I love nog but I have to watch my girlish figure...
    Options
    Love eggnog. Never had it with booze.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Love eggnog. Never had it with booze.
    Wait, you can drink it without booze?  ;) 

A Tom and Jerry also sounds good right about now 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Didn't know you could drink it without. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good stuff.
    How is it?
    My buddy has a jar of AB waiting for me, been wanting to try AB's recipe.  This was first week of Sept 

WallyWorld has the EW nog in stock as of this week.  Not bad doctored up with more EW and ground nutmeg.  Love using it for French toast this time of year.  I have some Aldi brioche dinner rolls that may go for a swim soon.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Wait, you can drink it without booze?  ;) 

A Tom and Jerry also sounds good right about now 
    I really love both, always have booze in them, but mostly just drink one or the other on Christmas morning, sort of a tradition of many years.  Usually Tom and Jerrys, but last year I made my grandfather's eggnog recipe again (lots of booze) and it was just delicious.  Haven't decided which to do this year.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I've never had it and most likely never will.  Am I missing something ?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Roy Moore watches your girlish figure...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DirtyMingusMcGee
    Options
    Good idea thanks for the recipe. I will absolutely be making this one, with my fresh backyard eggs.  This one ain't bad either.
    http://gardenandgun.com/recipe/worlds-greatest-egg-nog/
    Located deep in the heart of the Dirty South...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    I've never had it and most likely never will.  Am I missing something ?

Yes
    Options
    DMW said:
    Roy Moore watches your girlish figure...
    Well, I'm not 14 anymore.
    Options
    The AB one is pretty good. It's a bit heavy on the liquor so you might try one with less liquor first. Last year I made the Chefsteps Sous Vide one and it came out pretty good as well. Don't remember if that one make 2 or 3 pints.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We make ours, rather, My Beautiful Wife makes me do all the work when we make ours. Let me say this, she takes this very seriously, no shortcuts, everything is done to exact specifications. Whenever I screw up, we start over.
    It is from her folks, an old family recipe, she swears was brought over when her people immigrated from Europe.
    It is one of those recipes, that for whatever reason, has to be kept secret and can't be shared. Bummer. It is her thing, so I respect family traditions.
    It is very cool to watch my wife break out the old hand written recipe, on ancient stationary from generations ago, kept locked away 364 days per year.
    It is still made with the same stoneware that has been used for just shy of two centuries. 
    It is a lot of work, but, I have to say, very much worth it. It is delicious, with only one substitution in the recipe, since it made it to the USA, and made long before My Beautiful Wife took ownership of the formula: Bourbon.
    (Kind of cool, you can see where the change had been made, years ago, with the previous ingredient scratched out, and bourbon added, written just above it)
    I have to admit, I was never a fan of egg nog, until I tried this. I actually had to be bribed in order to even taste it. The reason was based on my prejudiced opinion, developed trying other egg nog samples, over the years.
    Glad I tried it.
    I look forward to making ours as we get closer to the Christmas Holidays.
    Some folks just do not like it, because they have not tried this recipe, and that is too bad for them. When they are convinced to try it though, they always want to be on the list, every year.
    In the area? Let me know, and we will make enough, to save a Ball Jar for you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    @YukonRon, it sounds like you have the same mixed feelings that I have about "secret" recipes.  I agree with you that I like the idea of keeping old traditions, and I think it's super cool that a recipe or a way of eating, or whatever has been kept for generations and generations.  But I can also agree with you that in some ways it's a "bummer" that someone refuses to share something really good.  It's hard to think of a reason to say WE have something really precious but we won't share it with YOU that isn't, well, selfish.  Leaves you in a bind, because you want to honor your wife's family traditions, but it leaves you unable to share a good thing with people who would have enjoyed it.  Like you said, bummer.

I used to know some people who were like that about Christmas cookies that I think were of German origin.  They were all good, but there was one in particular that had a flavor I've never tasted before or since.  It seemed fine to me that she wanted to be the only one making them, and it was a special thing she could give to people at Christmastime, but it also seemed a little sad to me that now that I've left the area and will never taste hers again (or compete with her!), that she wouldn't share the recipe.

FWIW, here's my grandfather's recipe for eggnog.  It's really boozy, but if you like that sort of thing (I do), I think it's just delicious!  (And it looks almost identical to the recipe in the link @DirtyMingusMcGee posted above, though the sugar is hard to compare without actually measuring it since one is by weight and the other by volume):
    Eggnog

Ingredients:

12 egg yolks
    1 lb. pulverized (powdered) sugar
    1 quart brandy (I use Cognac)
    1/4 pint rum (I use aged rum)
    1/2 gallon heavy cream

Directions:

Cream together eggs and sugar.  

Add brandy and rum slowly, stirring constantly.  

Whip cream (lightly, still pourable) and add.

Chill.
    You can certainly use bourbon, and I'm sure it would be delicious!  But it's my grandfather's recipe, so I tried it the way he made it, and it's just so darned good that I never changed it.

And here's a fantastic recipe for Tom and Jerrys that I've made many times and just love.  It's from the founder of a renowned bar, the Pegu Club, Audrey Sanders:
    Tom & Jerry

Ingredients:

For the Batter:
    12 eggs 
    3 tablespoons Madagascar Vanilla
    2 ounces Bacardi 8 rum 
    4 dashes Angostura bitters 
    2 lbs. sugar about 4 cups for the original quantity  
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 
    3/4 teaspoon ground allspice 
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

For Service:
    16 cups whole milk (1 gallon, in the original quantity) 
    750 ml Bacardi 8 rum 
    750 ml Courvoisier V.S. Cognac. 

Directions:

To Make Batter Separate the egg yolks and whites and place in separate bowls. Beat yolks slightly, then add vanilla, rum, bitters, sugar and spices. 

In the other bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites into mixture until it has the consistency of pancake batter. Note: the batter may be made ahead of time but must be refrigerated and used the same day.

To Serve Heat milk in a saucepan or electric kettle to just before boiling. While milk is warming, pour 2 ounces of batter into a toddy mug (the spices in the batter settle at the bottom, so stir the mixture first). 

Then add 1 ounce rum and 1 ounce Cognac. 

Fill toddy mug with boiling milk and stir. Dust with freshly grated nutmeg.