Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Legs

Options
Killit_and_Grillit
Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
edited November 2017 in Poultry
After some great option suggestions I went with a previous post by @DMW  brined cooked indirect at 300. Small handful of Pecan chips. 

I used @MeatChurch Holy Cow (and 1 with mixed Honey Hog and Honey Hog Hot)

The Honey Hog combo was my favorite. The Holy Cow was a little too peppery until I dipped them in Blues Hog and that combo was great.  

Sorry for the crummy money shot. Verdict. The brining was a little bit of a pain but I will be doing it again when I have the time. Gave it a great texture and flavor. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Very nice, did you include curing salt in your brine?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    DMW said:
    @DMW yes. @Possumtrot got to listen to me swear all the way back into town while I drove back cause I grabbed the wrong stuff. Finally found some at Academy Sports of all places. 

Next time if I have time I will brine the full 24 hours. 

Also I wish you could have heard me cussing up a storm in my kitchen trying to have Siri convert grams to cups and tablespoons with raw poultry on my hands. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks good. Lot of meat on those legs! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    @DMW yes. @Possumtrot got to listen to me swear all the way back into town while I drove back cause I grabbed the wrong stuff. Finally found some at Academy Sports of all places. 

Next time if I have time I will brine the full 24 hours. 

Also I wish you could have heard me cussing up a storm in my kitchen trying to have Siri convert grams to cups and tablespoons with raw poultry on my hands. 
    Very good, I figured you had due the pink tint of the meat. And yes, would have loved to be an audience to that. :lol:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have had very good results at 400/425 direct raised. Yours looks super. Next time toss on turkey wings!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Have had very good results at 400/425 direct raised. Yours looks super. Next time toss on turkey wings!
    @Mickey I saved one for tomorrow when I do my wings. Already mixed up your coffee rub. My curiosity got the better of me so I'm gonna try one of the wings with it as well. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Mickey
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Great cook right there-congrats on the results.  I am deliberating a separate pieces/parts T'day sacrificial cook just to change it up.  You have provided more inspiration.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @lousubcap if it will twist your arm any harder I did the bone in breast around lunch with positive results raised direct (it was perfect but I had to hold it 2 hours) and I'm saving the thighs and carcass for some Post TDay throwdown with turkey and dumplings and cranberry sauce drop biscuits. 

(I've said too much)

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Mickey that rub is fantastic. Have you put it on a pork tenderloin? I was also thinking I may try it on some moose steaks. My granddad walked away with the turkey leg to have on his drive from Nashville up to Kentucky. 

Raised direct wings were a hit. My little carnivore approved. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Mickey
    Options
    @Mickey that rub is fantastic. Have you put it on a pork tenderloin? I was also thinking I may try it on some moose steaks. My granddad walked away with the turkey leg to have on his drive from Nashville up to Kentucky. 

Raised direct wings were a hit. My little carnivore approved. 

THAT IS SUPER!