Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing marinade

CarolinaQ
CarolinaQ Posts: 81
I was given a bag of whole dried guajillo chiles and wanted to use them for a wing marinade. Was thinking I'd cut the tops, dump the seeds, reconstitute them in hot water for an hour or so and then blend them up with something. Trying to figure out what that something should be. Any thoughts?

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Goya Marinade, Naranja Agria
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • You could do them in a marinade but I would just let them dry in the fridge for 24 hours to crisp up the skin and then make a makeshift hot sauce. Blending those up after removing the seeds with some salt, distilled vinegar, garlic, water, and honey and put on in the last 5 minutes would probably be on point. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited October 2017
    C.Q. you're on the right track! Now just experiment with it.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Man I love u guys! What a great thread.....I can't wait for more thoughts to come in here..
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • I did make a finish sauce with it but also did a marinade. Liked the Goya idea but didn't have it handy in the pantry. 

The marinade didnt make any real difference in the flavor of the meat. Killit's idea was a good one. Blended the rehydrated peppers with some apple cider vinegar, some of the water the peppers sat in, a little vegetable oil, honey, salt and pepper. It was just thick enough but not as thick as a store bought BBQ sauce. 

Cooked them raised indirect around 410 degrees for 40-50 minutes until crispy, put sauce on and let them go another 3-5 minutes and they were awesome. Next time I'm going to skip the marinade all together and try to get two coats of sauce on them. 

Is is there any point in marinating wings or
    do they just not take to it?
  • @CarolinaQ you'll get differing opinions. I never marinate my wings.  @RRP has a 50 hour Georgia Red Wings marinade that a lot of people like on here and it gets a strong zesty tomato flavor in it. (But not spicy) It really depends if you want them moist or crispy. One typically is sacrificed for the other. 

I like my wings spicy, dry and crispy and sauced or left dry at the end. 

(Side note: Your post inspired me to set wings out last night uncovered in the fridge to cook for tonight since I have some leftover chilies as well. Now my wife is sitting on the couch having contractions saying it's about time to head to the hospital. I wonder what their policy is on a Minimax in the parking lot?)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited October 2017
    @CarolinaQ you'll get differing opinions. I never marinate my wings.  @RRP has a 50 hour Georgia Red Wings marinade that a lot of people like on here and it gets a strong zesty tomato flavor in it. (But not spicy) It really depends if you want them moist or crispy. One typically is sacrificed for the other. 

I like my wings spicy, dry and crispy and sauced or left dry at the end. 

(Side note: Your post inspired me to set wings out last night uncovered in the fridge to cook for tonight since I have some leftover chilies as well. Now my wife is sitting on the couch having contractions saying it's about time to head to the hospital. I wonder what their policy is on a Minimax in the parking lot?)

@Killit_and_Grillit

No problem. Just take an ash bucket.
    We can tailgate.

Good luck. Keep us posted, and congrats my friend.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    This is sort of OT but why did you post your question about chicken wings in the Pork section?

I've been on this forum since before it changed many years ago and started using the software it uses now, and I only very recently caught on that the various sections (like "Pork," "Beef," etc., are NOT just recipe collections as I had supposed, but discussions that, so far as I can see, are EXACTLY like the ones in the regular "Egghead Forum" section, which, for years, has been the only one I regularly check.  Only now I've caught on that there are lots of discussions that don't show up in the "Egghead Forum" forum, so I need to check ALL of them, which seems sort of like a poor way to organize this forum.  

So if I had a question on a "Wing Marinade," for example, I'd probably have posted it in the "Sauces, Rubs, Marinades" forum, but then nobody would have seen it in the "Chicken" forum.  And if I'd posted it in the "Chicken" forum, no one would have seen it in the "Sauces, Rubs, Marinades" forum.  AND no one would have seen it in the regular "Egghead Forum" forum. (Sheesh! :s)

I really can't figure out what's the best way to post, now, or to read the forum. What I'm doing now is checking ALL of the forums every day, which is cumbersome.

So here you are posting a question on a marinade for chicken wings, but it's not in the "Sauces, Rubs, Marinades" forum, and it's not in the "Chicken" forum, it's in the PORK forum!!!!  I think I'm losing my mind! :)

So why did you post this in the pork forum, and do any of you have any tips on how to navigate this forum?  (I feel pretty stupid asking after years and years as a member, here!)
  • I had no idea I posted in pork section. Thanks for pointing out.  Maybe I was reading something in the pork section of the forum when I clicked it?
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    No problem!  I wasn't complaining, truly just sort of confused about all of these forums and what the best way to use them is.  I should probably post in the "Forum Feedback" forum, but I thought since this was a direct example of how this gets confusing, maybe someone would have some ideas in this discussion.  I wasn't trying to complain at you!  :)
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I've been brining in buttermilk and Frank's or Texas Pete and black pepper. Overnight with a rinse and dried in the fridge on a rack. Deelish. 

Love guajillos.