Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - New Orleans French Bread (Reisings)

Does anyone have a recipe for NO French Bread?  It is one of my favorite breads, but have never found any bread even close to it outside of NO.  I get it shipped here once a year, but would love to make it.
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    There is a good chance Ozz, that the folks who might help are highly inebriated down on Warrens Corner. Might be another day or so before they can use a phone or keyboard. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    There is a good chance Ozz, that the folks who might help are highly inebriated down on Warrens Corner. Might be another day or so before they can use a phone or keyboard. 
    Oops, totally forgot about the get-together.  Thanks for the reminder :)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited October 2017
    Brother Isaac needs a bump! Interested in this one myself.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can't make it as good unless you have the right kind of commercial bread oven.  I wouldn't bother trying.  I have and failed.
    You can't make it as good unless you have the right kind of commercial bread oven.  I wouldn't bother trying.  I have and failed.
    There has got to be a way.  Vacuum chamber, pressure chamber, steam, something.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I think he did say there was a way. Commercial bread oven.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    DMW said:
    Sure,  be pedantic.  Truthfully, based on my experience this weekend I need to stick to just aiming for edible.
  • DMW
    DMW said:
    Sure,  be pedantic.  Truthfully, based on my experience this weekend I need to stick to just aiming for edible.
    I have been accused of worse...and guilty of such...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    DMW said:
    But that was to make it "as good".

There probably is a method/technique that a skilled home baker can employ to make it "almost as good" or maybe "pretty damn close".

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    If you get close, let me know and post the process.
    Leroy has tried it. Me, I never even heard of Leidenheimer until I saw this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglbieAqf6U

And I never heard of Reising's until tonight.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    Leroy has tried it. Me, I never even heard of Leidenheimer until I saw this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglbieAqf6U

And I never heard of Reising's until tonight.
    Music is good
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• nolaegghead
    Leidenheimer's is the best.
  • I hope it's OK to post it here. This is the file I made when Leroy first posted it.

NEW ORLEANS FRENCH BREAD—LEE BAILEY

http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2011/03/alley_2.html

The bread is fresh for one day, and then it's stale and good for pain perdue, bread pudding, stuffing for a vegetable, dressing, or breading for fried food.

French bread does, however, freeze well.

The recipe is from the out-of-print Lee Bailey's New Orleans by Lee Bailey with Ella Brennan. It's credited to G. H. Leidenheimer Baking Co..

Makes either 4 narrow loaves or 2 wider loaves

2 cups warm (110° F.) water

2 Tablespoons sugar

2 Tablespoons dry granulated yeast

2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening

6-1/2 cups bread flour

1 Tablespoon salt

Place the 2 cups water in the bowl of a stationary mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add 1 Tablespoon sugar, and sprinkle with the yeast. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling. Add the remaining 1 Tablespoon sugar, the shortening, and 5 cups of flour.

Mix until a dough starts to form. Add the salt and the remaining flour as needed until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Continue to knead with the dough hook for 10 minutes.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead by hand for a minute or two, until dough is smooth and elastic.

Return it to the mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set in a warm, draft-free corner to rise for 1-1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.

Punch the dough down, then divide it into four balls. Cover these with a clean dishtowel and let them rest for 15 minutes.

Form each ball into a 16-x-3-inch loaf. Place the loaves on baking sheets, cover them with a damp cloth and set aside to rise for 1-1/2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375°. Gently place the fully risen loaves in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown with an internal temperature of around 210° F.. Cool on racks.

Judy in San Diego
  • nolaegghead
    It's all good. I'll give Leroy's recipe a shot.  Bar is really high though with Leidenheimers....even in town, no one can beat them.
    Won't even be trying. Never had the real deal bread in question so I have no idea what all the hoopla is all about.

How does it compare to a good Vietnamese baguette?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    HeavyG said:
    Won't even be trying. Never had the real deal bread in question so I have no idea what all the hoopla is all about.

The bread is heaven.  I would rather have it than brisket.  Put a little butter on it, toast it, then ride the wave like a heroine high.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    HeavyG said:

At the risk of getting my NOLA citizenship revoked, when both are at their best and there are no other variables, I probably prefer the Vietnamese baguette.  However there are different applications where both breads shine.
    NOLA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I will have to try a Vietnamese Baguette if it rivals NO French Bread .... do I need to go to Vietnam or can it be made anywhere?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I will have to try a Vietnamese Baguette if it rivals NO French Bread .... do I need to go to Vietnam or can it be made anywhere?
    New Orleans has amazing Vietnamese bread.  I imagine that's not a coincidence.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    buzd504 said:
    HeavyG said:

At the risk of getting my NOLA citizenship revoked, when both are at their best and there are no other variables, I probably prefer the Vietnamese baguette.  However there are different applications where both breads shine.
    Those are good, but if the application is po-boy, not as good.  

Hong Kong Market, 5 for a doller....
    buzd504 said:
    HeavyG said:

Those are good, but if the application is po-boy, not as good.  

Hong Kong Market, 5 for a doller....
    Agreed, which is why I added that caveat.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    our local market basket has a good parisian loaf for this, but the trick is to buy it still warm in an "open" paper bag and make the sandwich within an hour or two max after it cools down. after that and its all down hill. its got to be the cheapest bread to make and its better than all the italian bread bakeries here if its really fresh and properly stored for that hour or two
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    buzd504 said:
    HeavyG said:

Will the traditional po boy even survive the Vietnamese invasion???

https://firstwefeast.com/eat/how-new-orleans-birthed-a-vietnamese-poboy-movement

• HeavyG
    HeavyG said:

The bread is heaven.  I would rather have it than brisket.  Put a little butter on it, toast it, then ride the wave like a heroine high.
    "butter then toast it" - TIL I've been doing it wrong for decades.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

"butter then toast it" - TIL I've been doing it wrong for decades.
    you can also coat just the crust with melted butter, add a rub, then toast it =) now i used to frequently get yelled at for toasting, then peanutbutter, then back in the toaster, i dont know why though as it was so good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    That settles it.  Next year "Brisket Camp" will be called "Brisket and Po-boy Camp".
    That settles it.  Next year "Brisket Camp" will be called "Brisket and Po-boy Camp".
    Toasted peanut butter was the straw, eh? :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I have been buying "par cooked" loaves of bread or baguettes at Restaurant Depot for the last year. As good as any home made dough I have done(I am just a newb with bread baking) and oh so simple. From frozen, 8 minutes at 400*. If I sprinkle a bit of water on the exterior it gets extra crusty. I have decided to put bread making into the folder for "future projects in retirement".Too time consuming and so much to learn to dial in bread baking techniques.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim