Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- How clean is your house?- OT

bucky925
bucky925 Posts: 2,029
A thread in another forum I visit got me to reminessing and reminded me of a story that had been deeply buried in my grey matter, and for good reason. 

Our house use to be ahhh how do I say it?  Clean, but stuff laying around.  In other words I cleaned on my off days and my wife cleaned on hers.  Dishes washed, vacuumed, swept all that......But.  She would just lay stuff down, making clutter in my eyes.  

So early on after asking and asking her to put things away and her telling me it hasn't been there very long, I took stickie notes and wrote the date and stuck them to the bottom of the "clutter" items. When I asked her again to pick up her stuff she responded with "I just put that down".  Of course I picked up a few items and showed her the stickie note.  Let's just say that was the closest we have been to a divorce in 34 years.  To this day we don't bring it up even joking .

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

The sticky note idea seems seems like a perfectly logical way to prove a point.  I'm surprised your wife didn't appreciate this.

Phoenix 

• Initial Thought: "That seems like a good system". 

5 Seconds Later: "Oh this will end poorly"

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bucky925

Initial Thought: "That seems like a good system". 

5 Seconds Later: "Oh this will end poorly"
    Yes I was the idiot sandwich for sure.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    blasting said:

The sticky note idea seems seems like a perfectly logical way to prove a point.  I'm surprised your wife didn't appreciate this.

Says the happily single guy.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting said:

blasting said:

lol - busted

Phoenix 
  • Hiring a cleaning service saved my marriage, no joke. I'm a neat freak, and my wife just...isn't. I would get so worked up because she would drop things like dryer sheets and would never pick them up. I would say to myself "I'm gonna see how long this sits here." After like 2 weeks, I would finally break, pick it up, and blow up at her. She never noticed, while it slowly ate away at me every time I passed it. 

I'll gladly spend a few hundred bucks a month for a cleaning service to stop having those fights!
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    I'm with @Tettletime - we've had a cleaning service come in our house every two weeks and clean for the last 15+ years, otherwise we'd be divorced.  It's not that we're messy or dirty, it's just that we both hate cleaning.  Bathrooms, especially.

I pay $97 every two weeks and it is worth every penny to keep the peace around here.  
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Stoogie said:
    I'm with @Tettletime - we've had a cleaning service come in our house every two weeks and clean for the last 15+ years, otherwise we'd be divorced.  It's not that we're messy or dirty, it's just that we both hate cleaning.  Bathrooms, especially.

I pay $97 every two weeks and it is worth every penny to keep the peace around here.  
    This is nearly identical to us. 95 bucks every 2 weeks. Not that we mind cleaning, it's just that we both work full-time so we'd rather have free time with the kids instead of scrubbing 2.5 bathrooms and a kitchen, plus  sweep/mop/vacuuming 3 floors of rooms.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    That's not bad. I was paying $225 a while back. It got old real quick considering it's just the two of us and no pets. The Roomba is a real time saver. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    $100/week. And we tidy up for the house cleaner. 

I was was a slob until this marriage. She retrained me. It's what they do. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    I've been considering this. Are there limitations to what they will/will not do? Just curious if it's limited to vacuuming etc... Or if they just do whatever is necessary to make your home clean.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Gym said:
    I've been considering this. Are there limitations to what they will/will not do? Just curious if it's limited to vacuuming etc... Or if they just do whatever is necessary to make your home clean.
    I doubt they will clean poop off the walls, if that's the kind of thing you're in to.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    DMW said:
    Gym said:
    I doubt they will clean poop off the walls, if that's the kind of thing you're in to.
    Ah $hit... Nevermind!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    DMW said:
    Gym said:
    I bet there are services out here that would, usually the homicide/ME calls them in. 
  • blasting

Maybe hiring a cleaner isn't a bad idea.  Or maybe it could be worse than the sticky notes...

Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    3 teenagers and 3 dogs. I've given up. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    DMW said:
    Gym said:
    I bet there are services out here that would, usually the homicide/ME calls them in. 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    dmchicago said:
    $100/week. And we tidy up for the house cleaner. 

I was was a slob until this marriage. She retrained me. It's what they do. 
    One direction or the other...
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    That's not bad. I was paying $225 a while back. It got old real quick considering it's just the two of us and no pets. The Roomba is a real time saver. 
    I can fix that pet problem...
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    DMW said:
    Gym said:
    While living in Albuturkey I got frequent calls from 3 businesses wanting to come clean my carpets.  I started adopting a Vincent Price voice with "Excellent!  Can you remove goat's blood?"  
    That worked for a few weeks, anyway; another thread for the extreme measures I had to eventually take...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Gym said:
    Most companies will come out and do an estimate along with giving you a list of services offered. Mine vacuums/sweeps and mops floors, dust blinds, ceiling fans, and all surfaces except for the tops of cabinets. They fully scrub down the bathrooms and change bedding. The fun shapes they do with the towels is worth, like, 50 bucks. Heh. They will do other things for added fees, like wash windows and shampoo carpets.
  • bucky925
    Rofl and it's not even Friday!

• theyolksonyou
    Gym said:
    Most companies will come out and do an estimate along with giving you a list of services offered. Mine vacuums/sweeps and mops floors, dust blinds, ceiling fans, and all surfaces except for the tops of cabinets. They fully scrub down the bathrooms and change bedding. The fun shapes they do with the towels is worth, like, 50 bucks. Heh. They will do other things for added fees, like wash windows and shampoo carpets.
    Will they make a mattress clean to an ALS?

asking for a friend. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I'm blessed Kay is the one who has to have the house clean! I have said she cleans the clean. I'm the slacker on the house cleaning and she rocks. Oh and the bed is made every day.....................

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DMW
    Lit said:
    My wife is super OCD when it comes to clean. I would guess she vacuums 3-4 times a week and if I leave stuff out she'll put it away which can get aggravating cause I knew where it was before she hid it. 
    Same here. She is now not allowed in my office when cleaning. My office looks like a disaster zone, but I know exactly where everything is in there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA