Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken

Options
Wanted to do a full chicken for a while now and finally got around to it.  I seasoned it with some sort of spicy chicken blend rub.  Cooked it in the pouring rain for a little longer than an hour around 375 degrees and the thigh and breast meat both checked out ok on temperature.  I must admit everything I have read about this being better than rotisserie chicken was true.  I did let it sit uncovered in the fridge for 2 nights and still didn't get the skin as crispy as I would like, but I have some ideas to do a better job next time. 

This was about 5 minutes before taking it off the egg, but more or less the final product.  For sure trying this again soon.
Large & 36" Blackstone
Memphis, TN

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Nice bird!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Sure looks good right there. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Looks just fine, but as you say the skin might not have been crispy enough for you. Not sure about your set up, but for chicken, cooking at about 400ºF raised direct above the felt line by an inch or two seems to work for me. For about a year or so, found that splitting the bird down the keel bone so you have two half chickens makes it easy to grab each half with tongs and flip them skin side down for the last 20 minutes or so. The direct IR crisps the skin. The halves can be gripped with tongs on the sides so the skin and rub are not torn when flipping. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,206
    Options
    Mix a little corn starch into your seasoning. I use 1/4 part starch to 1 part seasoning on wings. 
  • cmclean
    cmclean Posts: 45
    Options
    Mix a little corn starch into your seasoning. I use 1/4 part starch to 1 part seasoning on wings. 
    Good thing I am doing wings this weekend.  I will have to try this out
    Large & 36" Blackstone
    Memphis, TN