Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any killer meat loaf suggestions?

Options
I am planning on doing a meat loaf soon and there are a lot of recipes out there...I am looking for your favourite.  I have a good one my mum used for years (which involves spreading the meat mixture (which includes red pepper jelly) evenly, layering on slices of prosciutto, gouda and steamed spinach, rolling into a log, and glazed near the end) which will dig up and post if anyone is interested. I am looking for a classic, delicious and "old-fashioned" meat loaf.
Toronto ON

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Bacon wrap, don't forget the bacon wrap.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,974
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I get raves when I make this recipe, and the glaze is great!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/all-american-down-home-patriotic-meatloaf-sandwich-recipe-2042554

I use 1/2 beef and 1/2 pork.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I get raves when I make this recipe, and the glaze is great!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/all-american-down-home-patriotic-meatloaf-sandwich-recipe-2042554

I use 1/2 beef and 1/2 pork.
    Agreed. This is a good one!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Found my thread (with a link to Faith's) on the above Mauro meatloaf.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194021/meatloaf-anyone-pics-too/p1

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options
    This has been a family favorite for years. I skip the foiling if I'm egging it

Jalapeño meat loaf.....2 lbs ground chuck..80/20, 1lb any ground sausage, 1 med onion, 1 med green pepper, 3 stalks of celery, 10 jalapeño slices or more depending how much heat you want! 3 packages of crushed crackers, 4 eggs, 1 cup catsup, pepper, mix together and check to see if you can make a ball out of it. If its to wet add more crackers. Should be able to hold the whole meatloaf in your hand without it falling apart in a ball form. When you get the right consistency place in a loaf form and add alittle water to the bottom of the baking dish. Add catsup to the top all over. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove foil the last 15 minutes to bake the catsup on top.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Any meatloaf cooked on the egg is special. Seriously. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Here is the one I have been making through some trial and error.

2.5 lbs. ground chuck
    1.5 lbs Italian sausage
    3 eggs
    4 Tbls Worchestershire
    2 Tbls Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express
    1 small yellow onion
    1 green or red bell pepper
    garlic - probably 1.5 Tbsl
    oats / panko bread crumbs
    salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pepper and onion in some olive oil to soften.  Add garlic last 5 minutes.

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Add some oats (probably not even a 1/4 cup) and then some panko breadcrumbs until it thickens up some.  you don't want it to loose or it won't stay together and too much bread crumbs and oats make can make it dense and dry.

I put the whole thing in a large foil loaf pan that has been sprayed with Pam.  Set the Egg up indirect at 300 and then invert the foil loaf pan on the grate and plop out the loaf.  Reshape with your hands if necessary.  I use a chunk of pecan and cherry.

Cook until an internal temp of 158.  Then glaze with a mix of Hot Watchula's Peach BBQ sauce and another (non peach sauce).   Let sit on the Egg to firm up the glaze.

This makes a bunch of meatloaf and it never lasts long in our house.  Even my 11 year old who is a fairly picky eater tried some the other day after I asked him to please take just "one bite and try it".  He tried it, smiled, then looked at me and said "I underestimated that" and proceeded to eat 2 pieces.

The Red Eye express can be a bit spicy so try it first with maybe just 1.5 Tbls. 

The Peach BBQ sauce with Italian sausage may sound a bit odd but we love that sauce and it goes nicely with the meatloaf.
    XL BGE
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    Here is the one I have been making through some trial and error.

2.5 lbs. ground chuck
    1.5 lbs Italian sausage
    3 eggs
    4 Tbls Worchestershire
    2 Tbls Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express
    1 small yellow onion
    1 green or red bell pepper
    garlic - probably 1.5 Tbsl
    oats / panko bread crumbs
    salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pepper and onion in some olive oil to soften.  Add garlic last 5 minutes.

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Add some oats (probably not even a 1/4 cup) and then some panko breadcrumbs until it thickens up some.  you don't want it to loose or it won't stay together and too much bread crumbs and oats make can make it dense and dry.

I put the whole thing in a large foil loaf pan that has been sprayed with Pam.  Set the Egg up indirect at 300 and then invert the foil loaf pan on the grate and plop out the loaf.  Reshape with your hands if necessary.  I use a chunk of pecan and cherry.

Cook until an internal temp of 158.  Then glaze with a mix of Hot Watchula's Peach BBQ sauce and another (non peach sauce).   Let sit on the Egg to firm up the glaze.

This makes a bunch of meatloaf and it never lasts long in our house.  Even my 11 year old who is a fairly picky eater tried some the other day after I asked him to please take just "one bite and try it".  He tried it, smiled, then looked at me and said "I underestimated that" and proceeded to eat 2 pieces.

The Red Eye express can be a bit spicy so try it first with maybe just 1.5 Tbls. 

The Peach BBQ sauce with Italian sausage may sound a bit odd but we love that sauce and it goes nicely with the meatloaf.
    This looks and sounds awesome, but my wife and kid don't like veggies in their meat loafs.  I may have to cut this down and make it for myself sometime.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    fishlessman said:no
    heres one of my favorites,  potatos browned in meatloaf grease ;)

Strong work right there @fishlessman

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Malcolm's recipe a la Karubecue, has been my best meatloaf to date.
    https://youtu.be/rxnudUpciXA

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Any meatloaf cooked on the egg is special. Seriously. 
    This +1,000
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Would love to see pics of your sliced red pepper jelly, prosciutto, gouda, spinach loaf.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Thanks all for some great suggestions.  Focker, I don't have any, sorry but it is a terrific presentation.  It looks quite a bit like the below. My "technique" is to line a baking sheet with parchment paper, completely fill it with the meat mixture so it is perfectly even.  (I push down with another baking sheet.) Then on with the layers, and I use the parchment paper to roll it.  Then seal it (with seam on the bottom and shape it and cook it.

Toronto ON
  • SouthernEagle
    Options
    Been thinking about this as well!! Now I have to sift through all these options and pick one to try first! One question I have, is there a major difference in cooking the loaf in a pan or not, besides holding it together?
    LBGE- North of Atlanta, Georgia.

Hail Southern
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Been thinking about this as well!! Now I have to sift through all these options and pick one to try first! One question I have, is there a major difference in cooking the loaf in a pan or not, besides holding it together?
    I prefer to cook it out of the pan.  To me - it gets a little smokier that way and it doesn't sit there in the pan and cook in all of that fat.  Gets nice is crisp all around it.  It won't fall apart cooking it out of the pan.  Just my thoughts.  
    XL BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    is there a major difference in cooking the loaf in a pan or not, besides holding it together?
    I don't like mine swimming in a hot tub of beef drippings. I just shape the loaf and place it on the grid. Never had one fall apart. Plus, you can glaze the sides if you want.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,365
    Options
    I've tried many loaf recipes over the years and not all of them will always stay together if not in a pan.

To avoid the loaf floating in grease just get a  two piece pan that elevated the loaf above the grease pool.

I like this one as it is easy to slide the loaf off the tray:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    2 units ground beef to 1 unit ground pork

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My Mother's recipe. Circa late 60 s early 70 s. Gordon Ramsay voice.... Meatloaf. Done.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    RRP recipe is the best!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Here it is below.

bigdogk9 said:
    Where can I find this recipe?
    Here you go:

This recipe was gleaned from one made at a Texas Eggfest in 2004. Somebody named Bob submitted it. I have made a few modifications myself over the years to our satisfaction. RRP

Ingredients:

1 pound 80/20 ground chuck
    ½ pound ground pork
    1 T canola oil
    ½ cup chopped onion
    ½ cup chopped green pepper
    ½ cup Panko bread crumbs – Parmesan herb style
    1 T Worcestershire
    3 cloves diced garlic
    1 raw egg
    1 tea ground black pepper
    ½ tea Kosher salt
    ½ tea Tabasco
    ¼ tea ground cumin
    ¼ cup beef stock

Warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper and sauté. As it simmers add the ground pepper, salt, cumin, garlic and continue cooking until veggies are softened. Place this into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix and mix well with your hands by squeezing through your fingers. Then form your loaf and coat all 6 sides with a favorite rub such as Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. I use a wire basket meatloaf “pan” which allows smoke to reach it on all sides. I then lay 3 pieces of raw bacon on top, dust lightly with the CL rub again.

Set up your BGE to cook indirect by using the plate setter with legs up and grate on top. I also foil my PS to keep the grease from getting the PS too dirty. Shoot for a 330° dome temp and cook to an internal temp of 160°. Typically this will take about 90 minutes. BTW I prefer the taste of cherry wood chips as that smoke seems to “honor” this loaf!

ENJOY!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Any smoked meatloaf is great. It was one of surprises of egging.

I like RRP's recipe posted above.

I mix it ahead of time and and put in a meatloaf pan in the fridge overnight or at least an hour or two, it helps keep it together and in a good meatloaf shape. Then it gets cooked on a cooling rack with cherry wood.