Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf, anyone? Pics too...

Options
Well, all the recent talk I’ve seen about meatloaf got me in the mood! I used the recipe posted by Florida Grillin Girl and I have to say, it was absolutely delicious!! Never heard of Jeff Mauro, the recipe author, but he's probably never heard of me either so that's okay. ;) I haven’t done all that many of these in my day so saying it was my best meatloaf ever doesn’t mean much… but it’s all I got. =)

No loaf pan as I just don’t care for meatloaf that stews in it’s own juice. I just shape it on some foil, season what I can see (homebrew steak seasoning) and roll it (carefully!) off of the foil onto the grid (above a drip pan on the platesetter). Then some seasoning on what is now the top of the loaf and then some glaze. Done. Close the dome and walk away for about an hour.

The glaze has a ton of brown sugar and with the rub and the white oak smoke, I got some SERIOUSLY good bark! Served with mashed potatoes and peas. Comfort food at it's finest!

If you’re looking for a new meatloaf recipe, give this one a try. I know I’ll definitely do it again! And don't pass on the glaze. It's just ketchup, vinegar and brown sugar. Good stuff!

Hard to take decent pics in the dark!

Never had one split apart like this. Don't know why.

Should have taken the pic BEFORE I used the pepper mill. :)

Recipe here...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/all-american-down-home-patriotic-meatloaf-sandwich-recipe.html

Faith's post showing her version...
http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=1386808

Highly recommended! Meatloaf sandwich for lunch shortly. Thanks for looking!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Nice, I'll give that a try for sure.

i haven't done meatloaf on the egg yet, I always use Prudhommes cajun recipe for meatloaf.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Oh yeah man, looks terrific!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Wow that looks REALLY good! Did you use the beef, pork, and veal? 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    If you live next to a Wegmans Grocery Store, they have beef pork veal mix all ready to go. I used that the last two times. 

You get the best moist texture cooking meatloaf in the BGE.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to mention, I used 1 lb pork and 1.3 lb beef. Pre-ground grocery store stuff. No veal.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    If you live next to a Wegmans Grocery Store...
    Ha! I only WISH I lived near a Wegman's!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,608
    Options
    Meat loaf done in the egg is great.. Yours looks fantastic.. Also those sides are my favorite.. Reminds me I need to do one soon.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Love meatloaf on the egg. Looks great!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'd go for a plate of that!  Nice meatloaf.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Love meatloaf on the egg. Looks great!
    Can't get that on the rotisserie? You still not gonna make it to Butt Blast? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If I didn't know better I would say that was a pork butt because of all the split bark. Lol. Nice job.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Here's my favorite; indoors, or out.. your choice!!~~
    I get the meat mix @ Big-Y

Easy Meatloaf
    Ingredients:
    1.25# meatloaf mix (beef, pork, veal)
    3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 x large or jumbo egg, lightly beaten
    1/4 cup old fashioned oats
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    2 tbsp ketchup or tomato sauce
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 tbsp dried parsley
    1/3 cup Parmesan?
    1 tbsp worcestershire
    1 15 oz. can Contadina tomato sauce (extra thick & zesty?)**
    small amount of beef stock, dry vermouth or water to keep the
    bottom of the pan from drying out during the last half of the cook.

Method:
    Mix together all ingredients except for the sauce and form into a loaf, 
    but do not pack too firmly.  Place in a baking pan and cover with the
    tomato sauce.  Bake @ 350F to an internal temperature of 165-170 F, 
    about 1:10-1:15 (ovens will vary)..  Check with your instant-read thermometer.
    The loaf was done in my Breville toaster oven (bake-convection mode) in about 55 minutes.
    ** 14oz. jar Classico Tomato & Basil Sauce 
    **16oz.Hunts Sauce with basil, garlic & oregano, or
    your favorite sauce
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    If I didn't know better I would say that was a pork butt because of all the split bark. Lol. Nice job.  
    I really didn't think about that, but you're right! 

:rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Now some toasted white bread, lettuce, mayo and tomato and you are set for great leftover

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    That looks awesome @Carolina Q. I do it  without the pan as well, it seems to turn out much better that way. I form it in a pan, then flop it on parchment and smoke.

Meatloaf is awesome on the egg. I like Jeff Phillip's recipe. http://http//www.smoking-meat.com/meat-loaf-recipe

I think it the best meatloaf I've ever had, and have been told by others that had some it was the best they have ever had as well.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Now some toasted white bread, lettuce, mayo and tomato and you are set for great leftover
    For about a week!! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    That looks awesome @Carolina Q. I do it  without the pan as well, it seems to turn out much better that way. I form it in a pan, then flop it on parchment and smoke.

Meatloaf is awesome on the egg. I like Jeff Phillip's recipe. http//www.smoking-meat.com/meat-loaf-recipe

I think it the best meatloaf I've ever had, and have been told by others that had some it was the best they have ever had as well.
    Thanks. Never heard of Jeff Phillips, but then, I never heard of the guy who wrote this recipe. Always open to a new one.

You bake it on the parchment? Mine are always directly on the grid.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks delicious man!!  Thanks for sharing.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dredger
    Options
    Can't get that on the rotisserie? You still not gonna make it to Butt Blast?

I'm still researching baskets for the Joetisserie, but I believe it would be great cooked that way. I use a stainless steel basket with holes it it now for meatloaf. Works great, but I bet the rotisserie would kick it up a notch or two.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Carolina Q
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Dredger said:
    ...I bet the rotisserie would kick it up a notch or two.
    You could try this... Make a larger loaf so it stays wedged in there. Pic found on Google, not mine. I might try it next time. Wouldn't have worked with this recipe... too loose. Bet it would be great if the loaf was dense enough!

http://kitchenconfidante.com/tranquil-and-frenetic

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dredger
    Options
    @Carolina Q, I'm looking at this basket, but need to contact the mfr to make sure it will work with the Joetisserie. It's very adjustable and would be very handy IMHO. http://www.onegrill.com/OneGrill_Performer_8_Basket_Builder_p/5pb814.htm

@northGAcock, sadly, we won't be able to make the Butt Blast this year. I sent you a PM. I sure hope lots of pics are posted for us to drool over, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    That meatloaf looks great.  I don't know why you wasted all that space on the plate with those nasty peas.
    NOLA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,050
    Options
    You have me in a meatloaf mood now! Wishing I had meatloaf over the ribs in the egg right now. Dang you!  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Dredger said:
    @Carolina Q, I'm looking at this basket, but need to contact the mfr to make sure it will work with the Joetisserie. It's very adjustable and would be very handy IMHO. http://www.onegrill.com/OneGrill_Performer_8_Basket_Builder_p/5pb814.htm
    I just saw that. Their video makes it seem very flexible. Looks like they also have a lesser model for $30 or so. Knowing me, I'll just figure out a way to use coat hangers and duct tape! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    You have me in a meatloaf mood now! Wishing I had meatloaf over the ribs in the egg right now. Dang you!  =)
    Sorry, bud. But in the immortal words of Scarlett O'Hara... Tomorrow is another day. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    That meatloaf looks great.  I don't know why you wasted all that space on the plate with those nasty peas.
    What? They were every bit as good as the meatloaf. Well, almost as good. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Killer job, Michael 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Man that looks awesome, great job
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Q looks great.
    Maybe a bacon weave would hold it together on the rotisserie? 
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Cashfan said:

Meatloaf is awesome on the egg. I like Jeff Phillip's recipe. http//www.smoking-meat.com/meat-loaf-recipe

Thanks. Never heard of Jeff Phillips, but then, I never heard of the guy who wrote this recipe. Always open to a new one.

You bake it on the parchment? Mine are always directly on the grid.
    Yes, I baked on the parchment. They were loose loafs and I didn't want them stuck the grate.

Made four loaves a few weeks ago.