Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Restaurant Owners?

I feel as if a career move is in my future. I am relatively young, under 30, and haven't quite found my calling. I have a passion for cooking and food and throwing dishes together. I would consider myself to have a knack for cooking, as I am sure many of you all also do. I believe an opportunity may arise for a location in the little town I live in may come up in the next couple years. I am not classically trained, but cook with my wife four days out of the week. Something we enjoy is finding new recipes, no matter the cuisine, each time we cook. We haven't made the same recipe in over three years!

I have many family members in the restaurant industry and know it is a time consuming labor of love. For those of you out there that cook and serve food for a living, I would like to pick your brain if you would be so kind and offer the time. Please, feel free to message me and we can exchange emails/phone#.

Thanks again. 
Pratt, KS

Comments

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    @fishlessman that's a great story! I'm searching for work that makes me happy. I'm hoping to find that earlier in life, rather than later. 
    Pratt, KS
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708

Not in the restaurant business but have owned my own company for many many years. It is 24/7 365 for many years, and in a "Cash Business" like a restaurant, there is a huge commitment to be there all the time.

I'd add , in and trade, profession being good in the trade, does not translate to being a good owner. You cannot work On and In a business at the same time.

All that being said, Props to you and follow your heart, just don't let your passion becomes a job!

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006

A friend of mine owns a nice restaurant in my town.  He always says "if you want to make a little money in the restaurant business, you need to spend a lot of money"

Apollo Beach, FL
  • MattBTI
    @HeavyG, I'll look into that thread
    Pratt, KS
  • Just my two cents - I lost a ton of money on a restaurant.  Lots of lessons learned - expensive lessons.  First tip for restaurant success:  Start small with as low an overhead as you can.  The place will look busy with just a few customers - and that makes folks want to come.  Have fun!  The software biz works for me!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • MattBTI
    @Cookbook_Chip, this all may just be me day dreaming, although I do have a business plan filed away just in the event that the space I'm eyeing opens up. I'ts owned by a widow in my community. She put up a brand new state-of-the-art facility and has offered it rent free, so long as there is a restaurant operating. The current tenant isn't doing such a great job providing what the people want or a strong service. If the opportunity would arise, I think it would be a good place to start. This is a very small community that I live in. About 400, but is located along a major highway. 
    Pratt, KS
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    MattBTI said:
     She put up a brand new state-of-the-art facility and has offered it rent free, so long as there is a restaurant operating.
    That's a game changer 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    My buddy fell bass ackwards into a hotdog and burger joint when he was just out of his teens.  He was the chilli boy for years.  That's all they serve, no fries nothing but burgers, dogs, chips and Cheerwine.  No sit down area and a serving station the size of a large walk in closet.  People are standing in line every day hot or cold.  He sold it short of 50.  If you've ever been to Salisbury NC you may have eaten there. 

But I have to give him props, he worked 6 days a week for decades, never taking a long weekend even on holidays except for vacation time. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Work to live rather than live to work.  Unless you have a job like matress testing.
    @nolaegghead I like that!
    Pratt, KS
  • MattBTI said:
    @Cookbook_Chip, this all may just be me day dreaming, although I do have a business plan filed away just in the event that the space I'm eyeing opens up. I'ts owned by a widow in my community. She put up a brand new state-of-the-art facility and has offered it rent free, so long as there is a restaurant operating. The current tenant isn't doing such a great job providing what the people want or a strong service. If the opportunity would arise, I think it would be a good place to start. This is a very small community that I live in. About 400, but is located along a major highway. 
    Sounds like low overhead to me!  Perfect start...
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I've been looking into food-trucks, here in Los Angeles, a new ground up truck will run you between 250k & 300k .. add another 1k a month for parking and a $500 every three months health inspection ... this is my dream, til then I'll continue with my local pop-ups from my home.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • MattBTI
    Shew buddy! That crazy expensive. Things are just a little different way out here in the middle. 
    Pratt, KS
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2017
    The restaurant business is brutal. Trying to please the masses and then whitey effs you over on Yelp. I too have an absolute love for cooking. Being a successful restaurant owner and being an exceptional cook are two entirely different things. Not trying to piss on your parade. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I have worked in the business for over 35 years. The company I work for is a food management business. It allowed me to find a somewhat normal lifestyle (Monday-Friday) and still work in food management. That said, about 15 years ago I moved from operations into a IT staff job. I was fortunate to be able to change jobs, and yet never leave the company. A few things to consider with reasturant management.

* you are working when everyone else isn't. 
    * your one day off might be Tuesday....and there is not much happening on Tuesdays except rest up cause you work 90 hours a week
    * incrediabbly long hous historically, some companies / chains will be exceptions, but generally weekends are spent working
    * people have to eat (they will rob you blind)
    * if you arn't there with your hands on the pulse all the time, your food quality and customer service will tank in your absence
    * few employees will have the same passion you will have no matter how good of a leader you might be.
    * Don't do it if you have a wife and a family. You will not see them....and miss many ballgames and activities as they grow up. 

There are carrer options out there that can provide some life balance....but they are highly coveted and not always easy to come by. Happy to talk to you in more detail....if the above hasn't knocked some sense into you.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    College degree.
    @northGAcock I may hit you up on that. It was nice to get some
    different opinions from you all.
    Pratt, KS
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Friends that like my cooking and know I like to cook always ask " Why don't you open a restaurant? "  I tell them then it becomes a job. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • MattBTI
    @td66snrf that's been a concern of mine as well. I'd hate to lose some of the enjoyment for this very reason.  
    Pratt, KS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    there are other options than lots of work, long hours etc. been eating this simple pizza for 40 years, place is a gold mine. open thu/fri/sat/sun.  11:30 til 7:00, closes earlier when they run out which happens often. walkin only, no seats, cash only, dough, light sauce, grated parmesian from a can, used to be sold stacked in donut boxes

Image result for napoli pizza haverhill mass
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    td66snrf said:
    Friends that like my cooking and know I like to cook always ask " Why don't you open a restaurant? "  I tell them then it becomes a job. 
    So true. Things are very, very different when it becomes something that you have to do vs when you want to do it on your own terms.
    Love fishing - would never want to be a charter boat captain. 
    Love snow skiing - PSIA certified and taught for a few years. Earned little, had to pay for your own uniforms and relied on tips. Teaching people to ski when you are sick and all you want to do is sleep sucks. Maybe when retired or live < 10 miles from the mountain... maybe.
    Love cooking. Love cooking for people I like.  Cooking for mass people against the clock - not so much.

But follow your dream and heart. The worst thing that can happen is find that why you thought you wanted to do is different than what you are meant to do. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Sea2Ski said:
    td66snrf said:
    So true. Things are very, very different when it becomes something that you have to do vs when you want to do it on your own terms.
    Love fishing - would never want to be a charter boat captain. 
    Love snow skiing - PSIA certified and taught for a few years. Earned little, had to pay for your own uniforms and relied on tips. Teaching people to ski when you are sick and all you want to do is sleep sucks. Maybe when retired or live < 10 miles from the mountain... maybe.
    Love cooking. Love cooking for people I like.  Cooking for mass people against the clock - not so much.

But follow your dream and heart. The worst thing that can happen is find that why you thought you wanted to do is different than what you are meant to do. 
    Huh.  I thought you were a charter boat captain in summer and a ski guide in winter.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Huh.  I thought you were a charter boat captain in summer and a ski guide in winter.
    @Ozzie_Isaac  Nope. Tried them both as careers but bailed early on. Now I only enjoy them as hobbies.  

I do things as polar opposite from skiing and fishing as you could possibly do - I am in IT. I have 5 teams under me:
    Automation support - responsible for the maintenance, execution and monitoring of all backend applications and process that run for our company. They are on call 24/7/365.
    A team of SQL (database) programmers who assist with bulk processing of data.
    Release management - Migrating the code from Dev, QA, UAT to production while being in compliance with policies, procedures and staying accredited with all healthcare certifications: HIPPA, SSAE... blah blah blah...
    And most recently I am now also in charge of the Project Managers and all Business Analysts as well.

In other words,  I am responsible for all projects, releases and support of all software and applications from beginning to end with the exception of infrastructure and application developers. Someone thinks I know something about a thing or two. I don't. I surround myself with people who do and are much smarter than me. But I also treat those people who work hard for me correctly and fairly as it has to be a mutually symbiotic work relationship. We either succeed or fail together.

But make no mistake about it: I work so I can fish, ski and cook when and how I want to on my terms.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • HeavyG said:
    There is an epic thread over on the BBQ Brethren site that I have been following for a few years that might interest you.

It's about a forum member that decides to open up a bbq restaurant and he is pretty open about the entire process of finding and developing a property in preparation to open and all the pitfalls he experienced.

He does open up the place and it is a great success for a couple of years. He looks towards opening a second joint. Then things go awry both personally and professionally. Long story short - the original restaurant closed suddenly early this year and he will not be opening the second location.

The thread has gone quiet and the OP hasn't posted in a few months. One can only hope that the OP soon gets back on his feet.

I had zero interest in opening a restaurant but have enjoyed reading the thread
    over the years and urge anyone thinking they might want to embark on that path to read the whole thread - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161123&highlight=open+restaurant
    This was a great read, but really leaves you hanging on what happened.  

I was managing a restaurant when I was younger, went back to school when I started a family to get a more regular job.  Now that the kids are both off and independent, may be looking to get into a business near where we are looking to retire.
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    HeavyG said:
    There is an epic thread over on the BBQ Brethren site that I have been following for a few years that might interest you.

It's about a forum member that decides to open up a bbq restaurant and he is pretty open about the entire process of finding and developing a property in preparation to open and all the pitfalls he experienced.

He does open up the place and it is a great success for a couple of years. He looks towards opening a second joint. Then things go awry both personally and professionally. Long story short - the original restaurant closed suddenly early this year and he will not be opening the second location.

The thread has gone quiet and the OP hasn't posted in a few months. One can only hope that the OP soon gets back on his feet.

I had zero interest in opening a restaurant but have enjoyed reading the thread
    over the years and urge anyone thinking they might want to embark on that path to read the whole thread - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161123&highlight=open+restaurant
    This was a great read, but really leaves you hanging on what happened.  

I was managing a restaurant when I was younger, went back to school when I started a family to get a more regular job.  Now that the kids are both off and independent, may be looking to get into a business near where we are looking to retire.
    Yeah, it would be nice for us followers to have some sort of closure but I'm guessing there was a lot of personal issues involved that probably don't really need public airing.

Do hope that he is able to work thru whatever the issues were and get himself back into a happy space.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Sea2Ski said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac  Nope. Tried them both as careers but bailed early on. Now I only enjoy them as hobbies.  

I do things as polar opposite from skiing and fishing as you could possibly do - I am in IT. I have 5 teams under me:
    Automation support - responsible for the maintenance, execution and monitoring of all backend applications and process that run for our company. They are on call 24/7/365.
    A team of SQL (database) programmers who assist with bulk processing of data.
    Release management - Migrating the code from Dev, QA, UAT to production while being in compliance with policies, procedures and staying accredited with all healthcare certifications: HIPPA, SSAE... blah blah blah...
    And most recently I am now also in charge of the Project Managers and all Business Analysts as well.

In other words,  I am responsible for all projects, releases and support of all software and applications from beginning to end with the exception of infrastructure and application developers. Someone thinks I know something about a thing or two. I don't. I surround myself with people who do and are much smarter than me. But I also treat those people who work hard for me correctly and fairly as it has to be a mutually symbiotic work relationship. We either succeed or fail together.

But make no mistake about it: I work so I can fish, ski and cook when and how I want to on my terms.
    Very cool.  I would never have guessed you as being in IT.  Your attitude and perspective are what I like in supervisors and managers.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Try hitting up a good truck owner for a job. You will get a little taste of the business with a little saner hours to see if you like pleasing others.American diners can be some whining SOBS!
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.