Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Operation BBQ Relief deploying to CA (North Bay) fires

R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
Operation BBQ Relief is deploying to Santa Rosa and Napa areas to feed first responders and evacuees.  I just signed up as a volunteer and passed the ServSafe test and trying to figure out which days I can help (likely going to try for the Napa site as it’s closer for me).

They’ve posted on their Facebook site some needs for equipment and can always use donations and volunteers.
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Thanks for your service, I m sure they need all the help they can get. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Good for you....be careful out there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Way to step up.  Your participation will be well received, for sure.
    Donation sent.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Bump for a Friday eve look.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Thank you for what you're doing, they definitely need some help.
    LBGE
    AL
  • R2Egg2Q
    lousubcap said:
    Bump for a Friday eve look.
    It's Friday?? If so I missed my first shift!  ;)

I have a Noon to 7 PM shift tomorrow and a Sunday AM shift.

I hope to have some pics to share tomorrow night.

Thx Cap for the bump and for donating to OBR!

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Quick break.  Most of the cooking at the Napa site is being done on the cookers (ole hickorys and meadow creeks) belonging to Alpha Omega Winery out of Rutherford.

Air quality sucks

I believe the second site in Santa Rosa is bigger.  I think Guy Fieri has a crew cooking there.

Bay Area, CA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Very cool. Thanks for pitching in. Enjoy the work. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Quick break.  Most of the cooking at the Napa site is being done on the cookers (ole hickorys and meadow creeks) belonging to Alpha Omega Winery out of Rutherford.

Air quality sucks

I believe the second site in Santa Rosa is bigger.  I think Guy Fieri has a crew cooking there.
    Small world. My boss is part owner of Alpha Omega Winery. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • lousubcap
    Keep up the great volunteer work.  Thanks for the update.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    News about fire damaged areas seems to get worse with each passing day. Good of you to lend a hand. The OBR folks run a pretty slick operation.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    A few more pics.  Some of the guys cooking some hot dogs and chicken breast:  

Some bag lunches, pulled pork sandwiches and hot dogs in the cooler, and drinks going out on trucks:

Some of the other proteins cooked/served: brisket sandwiches and cheeseburgers.

I made myself available to do anything they needed today so I spent time: offloading trucks/vans (carbonated beverages, 40 lb bags of lump, fruits, and boxes of individually packaged snacks), loading coolers with foil wrapped sandwiches and hot dogs, inventorying beverages, wrapping hot dogs in foil, and helping to organize bread.

They were fortunate to get the usage of a catering commissary so a lot of prep work was done inside in a kitchen.

Pretty amazed with the job done here with lots of volunteers made up of local residents, members of competition BBQ teams/caterers, and members of Operation BBQ Relief providing guidance & direction.  Some of key folks who got this started before OBR arrived are evacuees from Calistoga and haven't seen their home in days.  Sure hope their home makes it through unscathed.

Things ran smoothly enough that many of us were released early.  Here's sky and the sun trying to burn through the smoke when I was leaving:

I'm looking forward to returning for a Sunday morning shift.

Bay Area, CA
  • Great job and I'm sure everyone appreciates all of your help out there.
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Thanks for helping them out. :)
    On another note, that Lazzari Lump is my favorite!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • R2Egg2Q
    With permission from a Brethren friend (Sir Porkalot) sharing some of his pics of the Santa Rosa OBR site.  

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited October 2017
    I arrived a little before 7 AM this morning at the Napa site.  All was quiet out at the smokers and grills:

I went inside to check-in and helped out with some prep work in the kitchen.  Made the mistake of getting too close to the dishwasher and got stuck there for awhile.  

Outside the crew of volunteers was busy slicing pork loins:

And a bunch of sandwich prep was going on inside:

I saw my chance to escape the dishwasher and got outside and joined the crew at the grills:

National guard stopped by to pickup some meals

Things then got really busy with lots of chicken, followed by bacon wrapped hot dogs, regular hot dogs, brats, and pork loins:

My 7 hour shift turned into a 10 hour shift.  I'm beat but had a blast spending time with some competition BBQ guys/gals I hadn't seen in a couple of years.  

Bay Area, CA
  • Thanks for photo documenting this operation.  I'm sure it will be used as reference for any future "deployments."
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area