Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Marbella on the BGE

Options
UCFFAN
UCFFAN Posts: 38
Here's on old Chicken Recipe from the Silver Palate Cookbook...

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/8752-the-silver-palates-chicken-marbella

I tripled the chicken... 4.5 lbs (12 thighs bone in/skin on)

Doubled all the other ingredients.... 24 prunes, cup of apricots... halved both to enhance the flavor and 1.5 heads of garlic. 2 teaspoons of cyan pepper.

Added 2 pints of fresh sliced mushrooms pre-cook and seasoned (olive oil, lowery salt, couple of healthy spoonfuls of jar-jar rub. Cooked down till moisture is dehydrated.)

Cooked it indirect - DigiQ maintaining 350.... About an 1hr/15min to ET of 170 (naked... no wood)

Served 5 adults/2 Grands with a Wild Rice.... and salad.  

Everyone loved it...Had plenty of gravy and goodies for the rice. Combo of the prunes, apricots, olives and mushroom is killer.... And fabulous as leftovers...

Next Time: I will use a larger pan.... this one was a little tight. (For a big crowd a deep 18 in Paella pan would work great) More mushrooms. Halve the olives too. I'm partial to thighs in a dish like this but white meat works well too. Brine for at least 6 hours. Not necessary to overnight the brine.

The queen didn't want ANY smoke... but next time I will toss in a couple chunks of apple or orange wood. Even naked had just a hint of smoke...

Comments