Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Meat Grinder

Options

does anyone have any experience with the Cabala's line of meat grinders?  I have a co-worker that bought one to make her dog food, and the dog didn't do well with the new diet and her being a vegetarian she has no need for it.  she offered to me for $200, hard to justify the cash right now but if it is as good as it sounds might not be able to pass it up.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CARNIVORE-HP-GRINDER/2122105.uts?slotId=4

any thoughts are appreciated. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    No experience myself but how often do you find yourself using/needing a grinder? The price seems fair and looks to be a nice grinder. Need vs want?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I guess I left that off.  I have been toying with the idea of adding a grinder to the arsenal at the house but these last few months have been so busy I haven't thought much about it.  I am going to make a case to the finical committee tonight at home but not being a board member its hard to get a meeting. 

Boiler Up!!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I have the LEM equivalent #12  .75 HP the Cabelas is every bit as good and a great purchase
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I have what is probably the older version of that same Cabela's model. Same HP, looks similar but that one just looks updated. Zero issues with it, had mine 10+ years. Love it. Wish I had time to use it more. I go through spurts when I'll use it 3-4 times in a 6 week period and then not for 6 months. Family enjoys bratwurst so it has been fun experimenting with different flavors through the years. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Well worth the asking price. I have the older 1 hp model and it is a beast. I have had it replaced once under their lifetime warranty only thing was they billed me for the new one and when the return processed for the broken one I got my money back. It still worked but there seemed to be a knock in one of the gears. I would check to see if the warrenty conveys or just remain friends, so if there are issues she can return it for you. If you bypass this deal, down the road you will kick yourself. You can easily spend $100 on a junk grinder. 

Just buy buy it and you will be happy. 
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Did you buy it?
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

Sadly I did not.  gave a hell of a presentation to the committee at home but turns out her need trumped mine.  apparently she was concerned with tread depth of her tires, I said the metal mesh under the rubber was stronger and since it was showing we are good, but her and discount tire insisted they needed to be replaced so it is on hold for now.  but given the price my co-worker has it listed on craigslist for, I have a couple months to re-gather meat grinder funds.

Boiler Up!!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'd tell my bride that once the mesh is showing she should drive faster and corner harder.  Then again, we're divorced...

Phoenix 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Get the grinder and here is how you justify it to the commitee...

Having a meat grinder will yield gourmet food at home...sausage, burger, gyros, falafel, turkey Nd chicken burger etc.  This in turn will cause you to dine in more often therefore requiring less driving
    Now, with the money you will save on not eating out amd with the years of high quality livong that will be added to your lives, youll be able to buy even better tires later on.....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Kent8621 said:

Sadly I did not.  gave a hell of a presentation to the committee at home but turns out her need trumped mine.  apparently she was concerned with tread depth of her tires, I said the metal mesh under the rubber was stronger and since it was showing we are good, but her and discount tire insisted they needed to be replaced so it is on hold for now.  but given the price my co-worker has it listed on craigslist for, I have a couple months to re-gather meat grinder funds.

haha, love it!

Do you have a food processor? They make short work of grinding meat. Cut the meat into cubes, then into the freezer for about 20 minutes, just as you would if you were using a grinder. Dump some of the cubes into the processor and pulse a few times (not as many as in the video). Repeat until done. Voilà, ground meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1fz2fvvkqw

If you don't have a processor, these are about $30 and do a good job. I just did three lbs of chuck the other day. Don't know how long it will last, but hey, it was 30 bucks. I bought it after seeing a post by @NecessaryIndulg. She seemed to like it. So do I. 
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ninja-QB900B-Master-Chop/14895654

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    I have a VillaWare V5265-05 grinder . Nothing fancy but always got job done . Then I got a deal on a cheapo Ninja Blender / processor $14.95 (Christmas tree shop)floor model. That is what I use to grind meat . Easy to clean . I buy Underblade chuck ,cut it up into hamburger size portions ,vacuum pack ,freeze and when I want a burger or chop meat, it's a no brainer . That Ninja, as cheap as it is does a real nice job.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    buy it
    Options
    I have the 1.75 and the torque is incredible; i could put a louisville slugger through the thing. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    I have a Weston #22 grinder. Similar to Cabalas. Bought it to make dog food as well. It's a beast. Doesn't break a sweat with whole bone in chicken thighs, and the dogs love love love it!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE