Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing question

Options
LBGE & a MM
I have 4 huge rib eye steaks. Planning reverse sear. Using LBGE for slow and MM for 650° 
Question is does the steak need a rest after pulling from the slow? Or just pull @ IT 210-215 and right onto the heat?

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited October 2017
    Options
    No. Most folks rest them because they are waiting for the egg to heat up to searing temps. Sear Away!

IT of 210-215?  Hoping that's a typo. 
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited October 2017
    Options
    They typically get a rest regardless while getting the egg to searing temp. That’s  how I always DID it. That being said, I have recently gone straight to a 700 degree Webber gasser a few times and I have not seen any difference whatsoever. Just rest it before you eat it. Oh and let’s try a little lower internal temp. Ha ha. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    The IT was the temp I was thinking about pulling it from the Large. Finish temp hoping 127. How's that sound?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Resting cooked meats is done primarily to let the gels firm up a bit, and hold the juices in before cutting. So, not applicable when moving from long low cooks to the sear phase.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Don’t “need to rest” but most folks wanna know where it’s at before starting to sear

FWIW- I like my steaks between 130-135

the temp you cook at during phase one will determine how much carry over cook you get after pulling them, for example, if you do a 225-250 temp for phase one you may only increase IT  5° 

hope that helps 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    LBGE & a MM
    I have 4 huge rib eye steaks. Planning reverse sear. Using LBGE for slow and MM for 650° 
    Question is does the steak need a rest after pulling from the slow? Or just pull @ IT 210-215 and right onto the heat?
    Yes, you need to let them rest so when they are back on for the crust/sear your IT doesn’t creep up on you.  I let mine sit out for at least 20 minutes.  Now, after the crust/sear you can serve immediately.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have done direct 500+ and then I have done the reverse sear ~250ish @ IT 125 then pull, crank it to 600 (leaf blower or fan is great for getting it hot very fast), then sear, pull and serve.  Frankly, I can't tell the difference in texture/tenderness or flavor.  Just my $.02 worth. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Mine almost always go up 10 degrees after indirect cooking so I pull them at 100-105 and let them rest until the temp peaks out.  After that, I hot sear for 2-3 minutes on each side (longer on cast iron) and that brings me to about 130 to 135 after all is said and done.  
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • GratefulJason
    Options
    I agree with the let-it-rest crowd. Carryover cooking makes it all to easy to overshoot your desired temp. Let it hang out for ten minutes or until the temp stops rising then throw it on.