Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Good News Story: The NRA has now granted permission to the U.S. Govt to perform its duties

Options

Comments

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina if you seriously think that the top democratic leaders aren’t accepting money from company’s then you are nuts. Both sides do it. It’s done at the lowest level of politics. Just because a politician tells you they are good doesn’t mean you believe them. Look at Maxine Waters in CA. Her salary is 175K a year and lives in 4.3 million home. The list goes on and on. Same thing with Obama. Talks all bad about big banks and the first thing he does is give speeches for them for millions. His salary is $400,000 a year being president but somehow him and his wife net worth is 25 million. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The accuracy is crap on them anyways. 
    https://youtu.be/wj90gBDX1ro

This guy better watch out Feinstein is gonna get her sights on this action. 
    https://youtu.be/GrJRSf55zsE
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    @JohnInCarolina if you seriously think that the top democratic leaders aren’t accepting money from company’s then you are nuts. Both sides do it. It’s done at the lowest level of politics. Just because a politician tells you they are good doesn’t mean you believe them. Look at Maxine Waters in CA. Her salary is 175K a year and lives in 4.3 million home. The list goes on and on. Same thing with Obama. Talks all bad about big banks and the first thing he does is give speeches for them for millions. His salary is $400,000 a year being president but somehow him and his wife net worth is 25 million. 

Sounds like you've really put some thought into this.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • g8golfer
    Options
    Not really just common since. I still like you though John even if your a fruit cake. Most are off the wall crazy but you are a smart cat. 
  • phil28
    phil28 Posts: 42
    Options
    Came hear for a recipe and stumbled into this discussion. Surprised at how civil the discouse is, even though there are differing opinions. My take is that there are some things that can be done to reduce the deaths. I saw a list above from one member showing gun deaths way down the list, but most causes in the list were health related. Very misleading. Clearly gun deaths are higher per capita in the US than most any other country. Common sense laws my not guarantee to solve all the problems, as the politicians use as an excuse, but it's a matter of statistics. Provide reasonable background checks, eliminate guns for those on no fly lists and with mental issues, and monitor those that buy dozens of guns. It should not be easier to get a gun than to by Sudafed or a prescription drug. The point is that by enacting these laws you'll have a reduction just based on statistics and common sense. Perhaps if the politicians were not funded by the NRA and could communicate as well as we can on this board, we'd make some progress.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Well said.  I usually don't participate in these, but if i did, that's what I'd say.
    Options
    I love these kind of debates on this board. We all have a love of grilled meat, but politically are very diverse. Socially people tend to stick to people with the same views as them, so this place is a chance to discuss stuff outside our bubble. 

PS. Guns are bad and Trump sucks at golf  ;)
  • g8golfer
    Options
    @Toast I’d rather live in the US and carry my gun and take my chances on a mass shooting happening rather the live in the UK and worry about not having a way to defend myself against a Muslim terrorist refugee roaming the street trying to blow me up. I guess you can throw rocks at the terrorist if you had to. 

PS: people that use guns the wrong way are bad it’s not the gun that is pulling the trigger 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”

What I get from this is that the FED's can't prevent a State from having its own army.
    No no no.  Clearly what the founding fathers had in mind was that everyone and anyone who wants an AK, six glocks and a pair of 357 magnums, can have all of that.
    It’s a designed check on central government tyranny . No? A lesson learned in the run up and execution of the Revolutionary War, no? 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    @Toast I’d rather live in the US and carry my gun and take my chances on a mass shooting happening rather the live in the UK and worry about not having a way to defend myself against a Muslim terrorist refugee roaming the street trying to blow me up. I guess you can throw rocks at the terrorist if you had to. 

PS: people that use guns the wrong way are bad it’s not the gun that is pulling the trigger 
    Funny thing is, you are far more likely to be killed in a mass shooting or random act of gun violence than you are by a Muslim terrorist.

Actually you are far more likely to be killed in a car crash.

P.S.:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”

What I get from this is that the FED's can't prevent a State from having its own army.
    No no no.  Clearly what the founding fathers had in mind was that everyone and anyone who wants an AK, six glocks and a pair of 357 magnums, can have all of that.
    It’s a designed check on central government tyranny . No? A lesson learned in the run up and execution of the Revolutionary War, no? 
    I really think then that we should all be able to buy the sort of weapons that would allow the civilian populace to really fight back and destroy - M1 tanks, F-16/F15/F35 aircraft. Some claymores would be nice to have as would some SAW's. Oh...I'd like to have a CIWS gun so I could mount it on the back of a Toyota pickup and make me a technical. Scratch that - those are way too big to mount on a Toyota.

The best weapon we all have to fight against government tyranny is the ballot box. We should all use it more often.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Hans61 said:

The only people that I've seen make the argument that their guns are to protect against the government are usually squatting on some government land and are hours to days from getting their compound set on fire for being criminal asses.

If you believe that evolving and adding laws to keep pace with the evolution of society and the challenges of keeping it civil to be tyranny, then a gun isn't the right tool anyway, your voter registration is.

I'm not sure how many terrorist acts have been diffused by johnny-on-the-street with a gun, I think that's a fallacy.  If people with concealed carry permits are not committing crimes with their guns, then maybe there's a good screening model there for legal gun ownership in general.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Legume said:

I'm not sure how many terrorist acts have been diffused by johnny-on-the-street with a gun, I think that's a fallacy.  If people with concealed carry permits are not committing crimes with their guns, then maybe there's a good screening model there for legal gun ownership in general.
    There have been two mall shooters stopped by CCW'ers.  One in Oregon, and I believe the other was in TX?  Then the church shooter just a few months ago.  Not sure how you define "terrorist", but these "mass shooters" were stopped by your so called "johnny-on-the-street" good guy.

CCW screenings usually go under the exact same background check system a gun buyer would go through......NICS check.  In fact, in some states, if you have a valid/current CCW permit, you can bypass the background check for buying a firearm since you already went through it recently.

There are a few states that require more checks or use their own system (IL is one of them.)  But in most states now, if you can legally possess a gun, the issuing authority SHALL issue you a permit to carry concealed.  And that's if your state even requires a permit to carry concealed anymore--more and more states have gotten away from that.  Missouri passed permitless carry years ago--nothing has changed.  The newspaper freaked out, and just like when CCW originally passed 14 yrs ago, you haven't heard much about it since.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Legume said:
    Hans61 said:

The only people that I've seen make the argument that their guns are to protect against the government are usually squatting on some government land and are hours to days from getting their compound set on fire for being criminal asses.

If you believe that evolving and adding laws to keep pace with the evolution of society and the challenges of keeping it civil to be tyranny, then a gun isn't the right tool anyway, your voter registration is.

Just wondering, is my statement incorrect?  Again, I am not nor never have been a gun owner. 
  • Legume
    Options
    No, not incorrect to my understanding @pgprescott, but that's the contextual challenge of when that language was created.  The threat at the time was governmental tyranny, I don't think that's the threat of our time (some disagree I'm sure).  Also, as has been pointed out, the kinds of weapons we can legally possess now are not really up to the task vs what an army would have.

Someone also pointed out the states' rights to form a militia - I'm not well read on all of this, but I suppose that's part of the argument.

I just don't think it's an argument that is terribly valid for not addressing gun control in some way.  I am not an advocate of take away all guns, but I think an all or nothing argument isn't particularly an honest one.  Compromises have to be made somewhere along the way.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Legume said:
    Hans61 said:

Just wondering, is my statement incorrect?  Again, I am not nor never have been a gun owner. 
    https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/06/constitutional-myth-6-the-second-amendment-allows-citizens-to-threaten-government/241298/

• pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    Hans61 said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/06/constitutional-myth-6-the-second-amendment-allows-citizens-to-threaten-government/241298/
    Who said threaten the Government. My statement is one of defensive posture.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    Hans61 said:

Did you actually read the entire article or just stop at the title??

I'm guessing the latter.

• pgprescott
    edited October 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    Hans61 said:

I'm guessing the latter.
    I have zero interest in reading that article. Thanks though. I'll stand by my statement. Author is a blatant partisan hack.
  • g8golfer
    Options
    @HeavyG I love how no matter what the conversation is you always send a link to the Washington Post or New York Times, or Huffington Post. No $hit they all are liberal news media and you know they are going to write a left stance on issues. 
  • Legume
    Options
    There have been two mall shooters stopped by CCW'ers.  One in Oregon, and I believe the other was in TX?  Then the church shooter just a few months ago.  Not sure how you define "terrorist", but these "mass shooters" were stopped by your so called "johnny-on-the-street" good guy.

The terrorist comment was mostly a response to the comment someone made about UK vs US and terrorism, was thinking more busses and trains being blown up.  I do see the good citizen with a gun stops a crime stories and love those.  I'm not against concealed carry at all.  More suggesting if it works, then how can that benefit be expanded.  But...

CCW screenings usually go under the exact same background check system a gun buyer would go through......NICS check.  In fact, in some states, if you have a valid/current CCW permit, you can bypass the background check for buying a firearm since you already went through it recently.

There are a few states that require more checks or use their own system (IL is one of them.)  But in most states now, if you can legally possess a gun, the issuing authority SHALL issue you a permit to carry concealed.  And that's if your state even requires a permit to carry concealed anymore--more and more states have gotten away from that.  Missouri passed permitless carry years ago--nothing has changed.  The newspaper freaked out, and just like when CCW originally passed 14 yrs ago, you haven't heard much about it since.

...if the concealed carry screening isn't any different than purchasing a gun, then that won't help.  I believe it's different in Tx, you need 8 hours or something of training.  I'm not sure if that includes the ability for someone to deny or escalate for additional screening or if it's just pass/fail of a test.

• HeavyG
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    @HeavyG I love how no matter what the conversation is you always send a link to the Washington Post or New York Times, or Huffington Post. No $hit they all are liberal news media and you know they are going to write a left stance on issues. 

I'm sure you didn't read the article cuz you couldn't even read the link correctly.

• HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    Hans61 said:

I'm guessing the latter.
    I have zero interest in reading that article. Thanks though. I'll stand by my statement. Author is a blatant partisan hack.
    I have no doubt you are well versed on the oeuvre of the author, Garrett Epps, and thus qualified to make such a statement as - "Author is a blatant partisan hack."

• pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    Hans61 said:

I'm guessing the latter.
    I have no doubt you are well versed on the oeuvre of the author, Garrett Epps, and thus qualified to make such a statement as - "Author is a blatant partisan hack."
    If you are familiar with him, then you know he has never written anything except criticism of conservatism. You know it’s true. Well, maybe you don’t ? 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Legume said:

...if the concealed carry screening isn't any different than purchasing a gun, then that won't help.  I believe it's different in Tx, you need 8 hours or something of training.  I'm not sure if that includes the ability for someone to deny or escalate for additional screening or if it's just pass/fail of a test.

Most states require some sort of training to obtain their state issued permit.  A lot of times it can be hunter's safety, any NRA approved course, a course taught by an NRA instructor, military training, or evidence of another state's CCW training course.

I'm still an instructor for MO and IL.  Each course is required and unique to the state's permit.  They both cover firearm safety and operation for revolvers & semi-automatics, marksmanship, federal laws, state laws, etc.  Then there's a live fire session.  It's changed over the years, but when I was active you had to hit 15 out of 20 rounds inside the silhouette of a B-27 target at 7 yards.....pretty easy.  Now that MO doesn't require permits to CCW, and you can take the info portion of the basic course online, not many people do the 8hr course.  MO also honors anyone else permit, so you can get a AZ, UT, FL, or any state's permit as a non-resident and it's valid in MO.  IL requires you have their non-resident permit, but there's only a handful of states they'll do it for--Missouri residents can't get it, but Hawaii residents can!

Training isn't going to weed out the bad guys though......they're not going to take it in the first place; and if they do, chances are they can shoot.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    Hans61 said:

I'm guessing the latter.
    LMAO.  Never change, Pete!
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    According to this data, it only takes $3.2 million to buy the US law makers.  You know, since the NRA controls the government and all.   Surely there are some rich people in this country that could pull their money and out bid the NRA........

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/lobby.php?id=D000000082
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    edited October 2017
    Options
    dsleight said:
    According to this data, it only takes $3.2 million to buy the US law makers.  You know, since the NRA controls the government and all.   Surely there are some rich people in this country that could pull their money and out bid the NRA........

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/lobby.php?id=D000000082
    The NRA has an annual operating budget of about $250M.  They do a lot more than donate to individual members of Congress.  Their real power is in how well they organize their members.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    For those who do not think an armed citizenry couldnt prevent a government bent on tyranny you're mistaken. Do you think if the majority of the population took up arms against the government that it couldn't be effective? LOL some guys with AK's and pick up trucks wreaked havoc and that was in another country. The JV team wasn't destroyed, still survives. Now your superior weapons that the US would use in a major conflict, do you think they can turn that on the general population without destroying our own country in the process? It would be the end of the USA as you know it. I'm mean all the rebels aren't going to consolidate to some state you dislike and let the gubberment drop a bomb on them cleanly. It's urban warfare on a house by house level, they're ain't no win for tyranny there. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Dobie said:
    For those who do not think an armed citizenry couldnt prevent a government bent on tyranny you're mistaken. Do you think if the majority of the population took up arms against the government that it couldn't be effective? LOL some guys with AK's and pick up trucks wreaked havoc and that was in another country. The JV team wasn't destroyed, still survives. Now your superior weapons that the US would use in a major conflict, do you think they can turn that on the general population without destroying our own country in the process? It would be the end of the USA as you know it. I'm mean all the rebels aren't going to consolidate to some state you dislike and let the gubberment drop a bomb on them cleanly. It's urban warfare on a house by house level, they're ain't no win for tyranny there. 
    Sounds like you're really on the fence yourself on this topic lmao.