Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT---Tito's--vs

bucky925
bucky925 Posts: 2,029
Ok from all the advice I tried a bottle of Tito's vodka, and it was good, very good.  I'm more of a bourbon person so I did a little experiment.  We had some folks over for Saturday football and I poured some Simirnoff into a tito's bottle.  As a test I also put some Ezra Brooks bourbon into a Woodfords reserve bottle.  I don't play bartender because I don't know how strong or weak each likes their drinks.  The reviews were unreal!  My wife and I were floored when they commented on the flavors and such of each drink.  I may have to do this with beer next time. No I didn't tell them they were drinking "sub par" sprits. Just the devil in me I guess. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    bucky925 said:
    Ok from all the advice I tried a bottle of Tito's vodka, and it was good, very good.  I'm more of a bourbon person so I did a little experiment.  We had some folks over for Saturday football and I poured some Simirnoff into a tito's bottle.  As a test I also put some Ezra Brooks bourbon into a Woodfords reserve bottle.  I don't play bartender because I don't know how strong or weak each likes their drinks.  The reviews were unreal!  My wife and I were floored when they commented on the flavors and such of each drink.  I may have to do this with beer next time. No I didn't tell them they were drinking "sub par" sprits. Just the devil in me I guess. 
    Smirnoff is anything but subpar, just really good vodka at a really good price. Tito’s is priced really good also. Expensive doesn’t necessarily mean Good. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    for price verse value try the new amsterdam vodka, i like the titos but new amsterdam is a good clean tasting vodka. i think its 16 something a handle. its really a bargain
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Or REAL vodka, Sobieski!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    In my inner beer geek circles we used to joke around with each other about being able to taste the "rare" of a beer. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Your guests were probably not used to taste different vodkas... Tito’s is superior to most vodkas I have tasted.  Smirnoff is not bad, just not great.  I had my fair share of cheap vodka and I can tell you there is a difference.  A difference in taste and a difference of how you feel the next morning.

As for Bourbon, I cannot drink the cheap stuff anymore.  Same thing for rum.  My wife knows... from time to time she tries to slip in an oz or two of older/cheaper bottles and I notice right away.

Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Regarding the bourbon side, every bourbon has a unique taste and flavor profile.  If you are used to one brand and then get a different one you will likely notice (if you don't intentionally contaminate the pour).  If you move amongst a few different brands then the switch will not be as pronounced and maybe not noticed unless the mash-bills are wildly different.  FWIW-
    But if it's free then that will cover a lot of taste issues.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    We buy the Kirkland brand Vodka from Costco. Good price and very good vodka. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    +1 on Kirkland.  We use the Kirkland USA for cooking, and the made in France Kirkland for mixed drinks.  We also drink Kettle 1, which is about the same price as Tito's.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Chopin 

No comparison. Everyone I get to try in a martini gets hooked
    Greensboro, NC
  • +1 Kirkland Red label.  Or Monopolowa.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • I couldn't tell the difference in vodka. Especially mixed. 

But if you poured me an Ezra disguised as Woodford...well that's how friendships end. 

I would absolutely notice. But I have noticed most would not. Especially if they aren't avid drinkers that prefer neat or rocks pours. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• I tried the Kirkland bourbon, and thought it was pretty terrible actually.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    There a huge difference between vodkas and bourbon for sure. We were drinking mules one night at our house and ran out of Titos and a neighbor brought over a bottle of Grey Goose and everyone noticed right away it was not nearly as smooth. That neighbor always has Titos now. 
  • jamesj
    jamesj Posts: 36
    I am a Titos fan but good value is Svedka
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    For a true test pour some Fleischmanns into a Tito's bottle and if you get a reaction. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    JRWhitee said:
    For a true test pour some Fleischmanns into a Tito's bottle and if you get a reaction. 
    Or Popov.... if you really want to be sly, slip them the bad stuff after the first couple drinks when they are much less likely to notice.