Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you finish your pulled pork with sauce?

TheToast
TheToast Posts: 376
What do you add to your pork, after pulling it? I like North Carolina Finishing Sauce (made from a recipe) - adds a vinegary taste that enhances the umami flavour without masking the pork's natural taste. I'm not a fan of adding a lot of extra, strong flavours. But I had some pork that was mixed through with a beef jus and it was very good.

Also recently had brisket on buns that were buttered with bone marrow butter. Need to make some of that! 

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    I serve pulled pork with 3 different sauces on the side so eaters are not limited to one taste they may not enjoy.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• I generally don't finish with sauced once pulled, but will offer it as a topping.

I have finished with a vinegar and mustard sauce, which was really good, but typically don't.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Franklins Vinegar BBQ Sauce

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    edited September 2017
    My thing is this:

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup drippings
    2 Tbsp white sugar
    Tsp Salt

Mix that all up together to dissolve into liquid, then toss the pulled pork in that at the end in a big bowl.  Offer BBQ sauce on the side.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Nope. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    +1 nope

Phoenix 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Yes, but sparingly.  Helps with drying out during service.  I use something similar to shack attack sauce.  Google it 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    I also pull naked and offer sauces for individuals to apply as they see fit.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    No
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Not typically. I usually end up vacuum sealing a portion of it. Sauce might limit what I do with it the next go around
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2017
    No Sir. I set out several sauces from different regions gathered in the exchange so guests can add what suits their taste. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Sauce on the side:Franklins Vinegar BBQ Sauce..
    The only thing I do is add a 
    little more rub while pulling / nothing other. Just did a small one last weekend.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    If you're saucing before serving, you're covering up something. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Sauce on the side. Not in the pork.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Born and breed on NC BBQ so yes, vinegar sause for the finish!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Another no vote. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I learned this from Pork Butt Mike (years ago)...moisten with sauce made of half Kraft BBQ Sauce and half Wishbone Italian Dressing. It still works for me.
    Judy in San Diego
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Another no vote.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Depends on who will be eating the finished pulled pork. For potluck meals I will sauce one pan with a vinegar base for the Alabama and NC transplants and another pan naked but with sauce on the side for others. At home I will add sauce depending on what we will do with the leftovers. When I add sauce, I do it sparingly to enhance and not overpower the pork taste.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Wow... all you folks outside NC are missing out... I do add this sauce to my warm pulled pork.. it is outstanding... and no I am not covering up anything just making it better....

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • I collect drippings and dump that back over my pork and serve with a damn near buffet of sauces typically. I love all kinds of sauce, I love no sauce. Hell I just love BBQ.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Judy Mayberry said:I learned this from Pork Butt Mike (years ago)...moisten with sauce made of half Kraft BBQ Sauce and half Wishbone Italian Dressing. It still works for me.
    Oh my... @Judy Mayberry, never listen to PBM about Q. You know he's from Jersey, right? Or maybe it's NY, I forget. Either way - both hotbeds of barbecue. hahaha ;)

Eastern vinegar when pulled, almost always. Pretty much what @JohnnyTarheel posted, but without Tony Chachere's. Real simple stuff. More available at the table. Maybe a couple of other homemade sauces at the table too. Still mostly vinegar, but thicker, sweeter. 

Usually, I make my sauces from scratch, but if I'm feeling really lazy, I'll mix up half and half (more or less) ACV and Texas Pete. That's basically what they use at the Skylight Inn and if it's good enough for them...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Judy Mayberry said:I learned this from Pork Butt Mike (years ago)...moisten with sauce made of half Kraft BBQ Sauce and half Wishbone Italian Dressing. It still works for me.
    Oh my... @Judy Mayberry, never listen to PBM about Q. You know he's from Jersey, right? Or maybe it's NY, I forget. Either way - both hotbeds of barbecue. hahaha ;)

Eastern vinegar when pulled, almost always. Pretty much what @JohnnyTarheel posted, but without Tony Chachere's. Real simple stuff. More available at the table. Maybe a couple of other homemade sauces at the table too. Still mostly vinegar, but thicker, sweeter. 

Usually, I make my sauces from scratch, but if I'm feeling really lazy, I'll mix up half and half (more or less) ACV and Texas Pete. That's basically what they use at the Skylight Inn and if it's good enough for them...

Hello Q. What is ACV?
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Brason said:

Hello Q. What is ACV?
    Apple Cider Vinegar
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    xfire_ATX said:
    Franklins Vinegar BBQ Sauce

This. Sparingly. Just enough for the meat to be really moist and the pork flavor to be accentuated. As recently described by @The Cen-Tex Smoker

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Brason said:

Hello Q. What is ACV?
    Apple Cider Vinegar
    Thanks.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    If company insists I will put a couple bottles of sauce on the table but that's it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Thanks everyone. I'm checking out recipes for Franklin's sauce and Shack Attack sauce. Didn't think so many of you would be anti-sauce!

I'm not a massive fan of leaving loads of sauces on the table - gives the impression that the meat will definitely need sauce and people uncultured in good BBQ will over-sauce! I'm still mentally scarred from a situation many years ago when I watched someone cover a perfect steak in ketchup. So previously I've used Carolina vinegar sauce with extra on the table and some hot sauce as an option. I also quite like to assemble the pulled pork sandwiches myself, like it's come from a BBQ truck. Anyone else make the sandwiches up for guests vs leave them to assemble it themselves?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    For things that I think "should" be served a certain way, I prefer to either build it myself and serve or let them build their own, but just give them the components that are appropriate. How are they going to learn not to use ketchup if you keep giving them ketchup? =)

For pork barbecue, they get pork, slaw, Carolina vinegar sauce and a bun. If they want more sauce, they get more of the same at the table. Sometimes a second sauce, but it's similar and appropriate for the dish.

I can identify with your ketchup steak memory. My son puts some kind of sauce on whatever meat is served. Always. Ranch is a favorite, but whatever's handy will work. Drives me nuts!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I don't build any sandwiches for guests.  As a matter of fact, I strongly suggest they take a small serving of the pulled pork and eat it nekked to savor the meat goodness before creating a sandwich.  This approach works well and has definitely changed the sandwich profile of many consumers.  Of course, some piggy will turn out better than another but all are above the bar of the guests, unless a few smoking buddies are in the mix.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.