Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All these posts on expensive charcoal

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Focker said:
    I'm sorry folks, Heavy's right.
    No lump, is worth double the price of RO.
    It would be different if it improved your end product.

If it needs to burn a bit.  Light, then prep.
    Y'all are actin' like it's your first time on a grill.  =)

@Focker - I'm gonna agree and disagree with you. The end product is taste, I agree.  The time waiting for royal choke to burn clean is not the same as RW.  I can cook on either if I have the time to wait.  Most times I nor my family do not want to wait for the long time for royal smoke to clear especially on week night cooks.  

The disagree is I don't think heavy G cooks much less knows how the lump reacts .  He plays this same game here and on the guru site. Between both sites I don't think I've ever seen one of his cooks.    

No no disrespect to u @focket

Maybe not all RO is created the same, but I notice zero difference in the amount of time it takes to get it burning clean relative to RW. Both are clean in no time at all for me.

I prefer RW and go through about a bag a week, but the difference is so negligible that I never have an issue using RO. It’s more of a convenience thing having RW delivered in bulk, and not having to dig through bags at HD. And I think RW might burn longer but it’s only a gut feeling.
    I've always been puzzled by the Royal Oak=Nasty Smoke comments. I've never experienced that and don't know if that is due more to regional variations in the RO product (since it doesn't all derive from the same manufacturing plant) or if it has more to do with starting technique. 

The only time I have a nasty smoke experience is when lighting a chimney full of Kingsford with newspapers lit underneath.

When lighting lump I always use a gas torch and then a minute or two with a bellows and there is almost zero smoke regardless of charcoal brand.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I used RO for a few years, have tried a few others and haven't gone back to RO.  To me it does have a sootier tendency/smell.  I've never tried RW.  I bought a bunch of the charbroil center cut, KJ, John Henry and others.  Not sure what I'm going to buy next, probably more John Henry.  If there was an Ace near me, I would order some RW eventually, but for some reason they've been pushed out of Austin.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I hate weighing in on these threads but here it goes:

I have never used RO but I've used plenty of BGE back in the day. Got a free bag with my 2nd egg a few years ago and ended up with ( pretty much stole) 2-3 unopened bags from the after party at Salado. It was scattered around like Nola's clothes and red solo cups on the lawn of the Inn the next morning. Used it once and gave it all away. That is the smokiest, nastiest tasting lump I have ever used. I don't understand why someone would pay twice as much for Rockwood if its just the same as RO. I sure wouldn't. I'm not a lump snob- I've used truckloads of crappy mesquite lump from Sam's and RD at .15 cents a lb. If it weren't garbage, I would have a garage full. Last bag I got took an hour to burn clean. That's not a good deal in my mind. I would buy the cheapest lump that tasted good. I think I am buying that (Rockwood) but I'm open to the fact that I could be wrong. 

Also, I don't think it's coincidence that almost every single "I'm new here and my wife hates how smoky the food is" post is using their bag of BGE lump that came with it. 

I'm going to get a bag of RO at HD this afternoon. I have to try it. If it is what you guys say, then I would love to have it available right around the corner. Hope you are right but I'm skeptical. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And I will throw in that taste is subjective. You are not wrong if you like one lump but not another. I really wish the lump I liked was .25 a lb and available everywhere. Some people like heavier smoke so saying that lump is bad (like I did above) is pretty much wrong-headed. I was going to edit but figured i would just note it here. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Legume said:
    I used RO for a few years, have tried a few others and haven't gone back to RO.  To me it does have a sootier tendency/smell.  I've never tried RW.  I bought a bunch of the charbroil center cut, KJ, John Henry and others.  Not sure what I'm going to buy next, probably more John Henry.  If there was an Ace near me, I would order some RW eventually, but for some reason they've been pushed out of Austin.
    Never heard of John Henry - is that a regional or store brand?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    WHAT!
     Makes bout a 100 rubs, sauces and such. Not sure where he sources his lump, but unlikely he manufactures his own. East Texas. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    I have a bag you can try. Just got a load in. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    WHAT!
     Makes bout a 100 rubs, sauces and such. Not sure where he sources his lump, but unlikely he manufactures his own. East Texas. 

You ever stop and chat with him at HPBExpo??  Real cool guy......love his sauces.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    He's a steel driving man 
  • Legume
    Options
    Forgot central market lump (HEB), a good buy when on sale, good lump.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    WHAT!

You ever stop and chat with him at HPBExpo??  Real cool guy......love his sauces.
    Cannot agree more! Have chatted with him over the years. Real genuine individual. We have done business with John for years. Great stuff. There are just a ton of solid folks in the bbq industry imo. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    So the all knowing has been stumped.   Lmao.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    WHAT!
    Sorry... of the 1,384,835 rubs/sauces on the market those just haven't popped up on my radar.

Any standouts one should try?

Keep in mind that I don't actually cook so something that I could sprinkle on a bowl of Cheerios would be most suitable. :)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Legume said:
    Forgot central market lump (HEB), a good buy when on sale, good lump.
    That is the last bag of mesquite I used That smoked for an hour I was shocked at how long it took to burn clean.  I used it for years and loved it outside of the sparks and ash that are inherent with mesquite. It smoked heavy for an hour. I was so surprised based on my past usage. Usually mesquite is clean but sparks like a mother and all mesquite produces a ton of ash. I can get past the sparks and ash but this was like burning coal or something. Didn't finish that bag either. Not sure if they changed suppliers or I just got a bad one but I was really bummed when I encountered that. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Strange, but I usually get the oak...when I do buy it.  I need to make a run to outfitters again, that's where I got the John Henry.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Strange, but I usually get the oak...when I do buy it.  I need to make a run to outfitters again, that's where I got the John Henry.
    It was strange. I didn't know they made Oak. I've only noticed the mesquite. I would assume, or at least at guess, that the oak would be rebadged B&B since they are local and do a lot of Oak lump. They do mesquite too so I would think they may be involved. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    It was strange. I didn't know they made Oak. I've only noticed the mesquite. I would assume, or at least at guess, that the oak would be rebadged B&B since they are local and do a lot of Oak lump. They do mesquite too so I would think they may be involved. 
    I have thought B&B, they both have those strange, small bags.  B&B has some out of Mexico as well, lots of different labels out there, like at Academy for instance, and you have to read the label.  HEB only had the small oak bags, CM has the bigger ones.  It's my backup plan, not my go to.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:
    WHAT!
    Sorry... of the 1,384,835 rubs/sauces on the market those just haven't popped up on my radar.

Any standouts one should try?

Keep in mind that I don't actually cook so something that I could sprinkle on a bowl of Cheerios would be most suitable. :)
    Yep, quite a few. 
  • DynaGlide
    Options
    So i read most of the replies and it seems to boil down to people buy RW because they have busy schedules. I don't agree about RO putting bad flavor on my food. I guess you are putting a price on your time by buying RW. Me personally i work from home so time isn't an issue. I don't drive far to get my charcoal and i have access to either brand. Dizzy Pig is also 15min from me. 

Lots of attacks on @HeavyG here. I know personally I've cooked 2-3x a week since buying my egg last year in September. Never a complaint about the flavor or any bad smoke. I don't even typically wait for perfectly clear to put the food on. But it does on average take 30min to die down to where I'm ready. Not a problem for me. If buying RO enables you to cook on nights you otherwise wouldn't then i get the benefit. But the arguments stating it's dumb to buy a $1000 cooker to use a lump that's "inferior" seem rather foolish.
    2006 Blue Weber Performer Slow n' Sear and Rotisserie; LG BGE w/ AR R&B -- Alexandria, VA

• pgprescott
    Options
    DynaGlide said:
    So i read most of the replies and it seems to boil down to people buy RW because they have busy schedules. I don't agree about RO putting bad flavor on my food. I guess you are putting a price on your time by buying RW. Me personally i work from home so time isn't an issue. I don't drive far to get my charcoal and i have access to either brand. Dizzy Pig is also 15min from me. 

Lots of attacks on @HeavyG here. I know personally I've cooked 2-3x a week since buying my egg last year in September. Never a complaint about the flavor or any bad smoke. I don't even typically wait for perfectly clear to put the food on. But it does on average take 30min to die down to where I'm ready. Not a problem for me. If buying RO enables you to cook on nights you otherwise wouldn't then i get the benefit. But the arguments stating it's dumb to buy a $1000 cooker to use a lump that's "inferior" seem rather foolish.
    The light hearted ribbing of @HeavyG has nothing to do with His views on lump. IMO. It has to do with the fact that he has never once posted a cook and is a shill for KJ. That’s all. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Is it just me?

Phoenix 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    DynaGlide said:

I'll guess that's directed at me. I'm going to buy a Porsche and run regular unleaded? It's a few extra cents per cook. The last time I used BGE lump was at Salado.... Took forever to burn off. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    DynaGlide said:

the naked wiz States RW is more difficult to light so this doesn't make sense

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag102.htm

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    DynaGlide said:

the naked wiz States RW is more difficult to light so this doesn't make sense

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag102.htm

I trust my own experience using both products over what a website says. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Touché  @DoubleEgger
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Does nakedwhiz just test one bag per review?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited September 2017
    Options
    DynaGlide said:

@DynaGlide - you ride a Harley, I ride a Yamaha. You burn RO and I burn RW.   We can still be internet friends.   

BTW - you have already posted more cooking  post than @HeavyG and your only 45 post in.  Lol.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    DynaGlide said:
    I guess i must just be lucky. $13 always in stock at home Depot less than 5 miles away. Made in USA. I briefly considered trying these fancy bags everyone talks about but if it ain't broke.

Pic didn't work but they're RO

Appears you're questioning your lump decisions, hence the post.  

Nice Harley in your picture.  Now, what made you buy a Harley, say over a Honda?  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hans61
    Options
    @pgprescott I had to look up the word shill :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DynaGlide
    Options
    DynaGlide said:

@DynaGlide - you ride a Harley, I ride a Yamaha. You burn RO and I burn RW.   We can still be internet friends.   

BTW - you have already posted more cooking  post than @HeavyG and your only 45 post in.  Lol.   
    And we are both named Matt. I don't care what someone rides either as long as they ride. I'm not trying to pick a bone with the RW crowd i just don't care for the comments implying it  or any other lump is somehow worth all the extra money once you get past the initial dirty smoke. Reeks of confirmation bias. End of the day whatever works for me or you is what works too get the food you want.
    2006 Blue Weber Performer Slow n' Sear and Rotisserie; LG BGE w/ AR R&B -- Alexandria, VA