Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest bolts popped out BEG dropped straight down.

Comments

• Double ouch!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @slovelad maybe a new client for you!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Damn. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • oh man. I would be pissed. How new is that egg? Looks shiny. If your dealer built that for you, you may have some recourse here. I would think even BGE would want to at least take a look at a possible warranty situation here. They have done it for far less uh...devastating occurrences. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • @bgebrent @The Cen-Tex Smoker I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is one of our new half a dozen or so troll accounts that popped up today. 

Shenanigans have been running amuck. Amuck I tell you. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    @bgebrent @The Cen-Tex Smoker I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is one of our new half a dozen or so troll accounts that popped up today. 

Which is why ya keep a few alive until Friday night brother. 

• Which is why ya keep a few alive until Friday night brother. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    @bgebrent @The Cen-Tex Smoker I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is one of our new half a dozen or so troll accounts that popped up today. 

@Killit_and_Grillit I hope you are right about this being a joke. I'm putting the egg into the nest tomorrow and I don't want this to happen to me. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    I replaced mine with nylon nuts. Just keep checking them.
  • New in April of this year, BGE is replacing broken parts, but not paying shipping. Dealer where I bought it refuses to assemble once it arrives, or help out with shipping charges. More to come...
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    edited September 2017
    New in April of this year, BGE is replacing broken parts, but not paying shipping. Dealer where I bought it refuses to assemble once it arrives, or help out with shipping charges. More to come...
    could provide more detail about your conversation with BGE? I'll be assembling the nest egg and handler today. This post has me reconsidering the nest. @Johnboy214
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    @Johnboy214 - unless my dealer is eating the shipping costs on warranty claims, that isn't true.  I picked up my warranty firebox on Monday and paid $0.  This is my second claim (first was the fire ring over the winter and again I paid nothing) and in both cases I called the dealer, gave them the serial number, texted them a photo of the issue, and received a call when the replacement part was in.  10 minute phone call in both cases.  On the firebox, again picked up this Monday, the total time between my initial call and the call back to let me know the new piece was in was 3 days. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    So, three nuts with lock washers fell off in a few months and somehow the nest collapsed? Even though the the pressure of the egg would likely prevent that from happening? Never had an issue with a nest in 15 years. Except people tipping them over pushing them out of their garage. I would rather put it together myself than have them do it again. Unless you did it? This is real bad luck! I wouldn’t expect to pay a dime unless there is more to the story.  Fwiw. 
  • Local dealer assembled it and delivered it. BGE Corp. response is that the nest was not properly assembled, of course the dealer took issue. Warranty does not cover shipping, unless the dealers order is $4,000.00 or more per order. My dealer is small in a cold climate and says he will not be placing any orders until late winter early spring, or I could pay the shipping, he also stated be would not assemble the replacements. The distributor/ wholesaler stepped in after speaking to the dealer, and the rep. will be in my town next week and will bring the replacement parts and do the assembly. They really stepped up. If you are thinking I was an a-hole to the dealer, well I was not, quite the opposite, in fact even the wholesale rep. is surprised by the actions of the dealer. If you are going to assemble the nest your self, follow the instructions to the letter. Also, you should tighten all nuts frequently, not something I was told. Kudos to  BGE Springfield, Mo (wholesale) for doing the right thing.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Do they recommend double-nutting?
  • Legume, no. Here is the key, from the distributor's rep. that says he has assembled hundreds.  Assemble the nest tighten all the nuts, then place the egg in the nest and tighten all the nuts again! He says the last step is crucial and that step was probably omitted in the assembly of my egg.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    Legume said:
    Do they recommend double-nutting?
    When is double-nutting ever bad?
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    A buddy of mine found a nut on his patio while we were over at his house. Took a look at his nest to put it back on and discovered over half the nuts were loose and coming off and the nest was wobbly. It was a dealer assembled XL.

Got home and checked my nest. About 1/3rd of the nuts were loose, though not quite as bad as his. Mine was a dealer assembled XL from a completely different dealer.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    edited September 2017
    Getting ready to start ribs so I thought that I would check everything out.  I was able to get an eighth of a turn to 3/4 turn out of every nut.  I was able to get 1/4 to 3/4 turn on band nuts.  First time I have checked since assembling, so coming up on 3 years owning this egg.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone