Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cap steaks and homemade bread

Options
Phase 1 done - baked up some bread on the egg.  I started this Thursday, made myself a nice pizza with the same dough Friday, now it's a knotted loaf.

Picked-up prime cap steaks at Costco, unwound them, seasoned with evoo, kosher salt, and course ground black pepper.  Waiting for the Egg temp to come up.

Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Gorgeous bread.  You mentioned steaks?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Gorgeous bread.  You mentioned steaks?
    To follow!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Lemme see your steak!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Oh my!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Until just recently, I had no idea you could buy my favorite bit of prime rib as a separate cut.  Wife loved it. So good...  I grilled 2 "steaks" - lots leftover for lunches,/dinner in the next few days.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    dude...
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Wow! Great cook all around.

XL BGE
    MD
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Mmmmmm....steeeeeaaaaakkkkk

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    I don't believe that you're sorry for a second ... and nice steaks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    Just went direct, lid open on the steak.  2 min per side, then 1 min per side - 6 min rest covered tight with foil.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Wow great looking steaks there 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    @JohnEggGio ,
    The cap steaks that our Costco has are Top Sirloin, not Rib steaks.  Are your really from the Rib?  In any case they look great and must have tasted great.

The Top Sirloin Cap steak are also called Picana at Brazilian steakhouses.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @Shiff I can't say I'm 100% certain, but pretty close.  I just took a few minutes to look at photos online - search for a thread here from GlennM - mine looked exactly like those - 2 pieces rolled and bound to form a "steak".
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • BrookieP
    Options
    Man that looks good! I need to step up my bread game.
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    BrookieP said:
    Man that looks good! I need to step up my bread game.
    Thanks!  I couldn't decide what form - I started with baguettes, then a braid, then decided to wind them into a loaf.  Gave it another hour to recover after forming, then onto the Egg at 350.  The loaf picked up just a touch of smokiness that I find quite agreeable.  Last night carved off a couple of slices - toasted and buttered to go with a hearty soup.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looks great!  I too unroll the rolled cap steaks. What is better is if you can be there when they are cutting them off the whole roast.  Ask if you can have the entire cap tied as 1 roast, then take home and custom cut it how you wish. My Costco will do that for me,but only if I am there in person and wait. I can not place an order for one.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    @Shiff I can't say I'm 100% certain, but pretty close.  I just took a few minutes to look at photos online - search for a thread here from GlennM - mine looked exactly like those - 2 pieces rolled and bound to form a "steak".
    OK, you are talking about the Ribeye Cap Steak, not the Top Sirloin Cap.  Similar names but 2 different cuts of meat - both great, by the way.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Looks great!  I too unroll the rolled cap steaks. What is better is if you can be there when they are cutting them off the whole roast.  Ask if you can have the entire cap tied as 1 roast, then take home and custom cut it how you wish. My Costco will do that for me,but only if I am there in person and wait. I can not place an order for one.  
    Thanks for the tip.  Was only my 2nd time in Costco.  I thought these were just about perfect size for getting a nice char on the outside, yet leaving it pink to red on the inside.  2 more in the freezer!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE