Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SBGE vs MM, impressions.......

Options
We're heading to an Eggfest in two weeks and expect to find some special pricing on eggs.  I own a LBGE and use it 4-5 times per month.  I've noticed some discussions about having a MM for small cooks.  I see some merits of both the SBGE and MM.  I'm looking for advice from you who own one or the other, please.  
Blessed are the flexible for they shall not get bent out of shape.

LBGE, Weber Genesis II, Weber Performer, 2-WSM, PKGrill, 22" Blackstone, KettlePizza, Joule, ChefAlarm, Smoke, 2-ThermaPens.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I have a large, small, and mini. The small is by far the most used. If I could only have one egg it very well may be the small. I regularly cook for four.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    I have a large and a small. Both ten years plus.  I rarely if ever used the small - it sat dormant for years.  Recently I purchased a woo ring and the matching ceramic stone for the small and now I love the small.  For me, the raised grid and indirect options make the small infinitely more  functional.  I use it often - it is fantastic and is now my go to bge (only two people in my house, so my cooks typically fit in the small).

I don't have personal experience with the mm, so I can only tell you I love the small!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    As you would expect there are strong proponents of each.  I would give the search function here a look to get many references/comments about each.
    The above said, the SBGE with the after-market setup mentioned by @mEGG_My_Day and a high-que grate is quite the cooking machine from hot and fast to 9+ hours of L&S.  I am biased.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have owned both and the KJ jr. Get the KJ jr it's cheaper and comes with the indirect and raised setups. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I agree with @mEGG_My_Day and @lousubcap
    I have the kick ash basket and the woo and stone for the small. These eggcessories make all the difference in the world.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited September 2017
    Options
    When it was just the large and small the small saw most of the action.  Now there is a mini involved the small is the least used of my 3 eggs.   

But with the HighQ and the woo n stone the small is a cooking machine.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We use the MM A LOT. I wouldn't trade my MM. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    I use our large for low and slow or for large gatherings. The MM sees action when it is just the two of us or a L&S is in progress. Love both eggs.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Not tried a small, but have an XL (got that first) and a MMX. The MMX gets used a lot, starts faster than the XL and uses less lump. I have another grid to make a double level setup, but haven't done that yet. The temp probe can get in the way for larger pieces of meat, mine is spaced out with a rolled piece of aluminium foil by about an inch, which frees up a lot of dome space.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    If you are just planning on small cooks I would recommend the minimax. I love mine and the lump consumption is minimal. 
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I have a KJ Jr and at times even wish it was taller. So with that said I'd go with a sbge over the mm if I had two choose bwn the two
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    We use the MM A LOT. I wouldn't trade my MM. 
    Thanks! 

Oh...  every time  I see MM I think you mean something different... :/
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I own all of the eggs smaller than a large, and can say this with honesty: the medium is the best of the smaller eggs, hands down.  No egg is portable, thats what weber jumbo joes are for.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I know you asked about SBGE vs MM but I have to agree with @cookingdude555 as to which is my favorite. I use my mini and my medium eggs the most. Of the four sizes that I have, MBGE is hands down my favorite. Sorry - no input on MM.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have a MiniMax, and love it. We use it at home and on the road, for camping and tailgating. Not too heavy for one person to deal with, and, of course the food is phenominal. I have the KAB and just the standard deflector. Works great. Fed 6 off of it saturday evening. Really great at smoking too. able to get more flavor with fewer chips, it seems, than with the XL. It is a lump Mizer, I have gotten 11 hours out of a well stacked lump pile at 250F.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky