Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting my Egg today!

Options
Like Christmas Eve right now...

Advice for the break in---how much charcoal for initial low heat burn? How hot? How long? How many times---was told under 350 and do it 3 times for cure of gasket.

Any other tips?
LBGE, Weber Summit 4 burner--Philadelphia, PA
Syracuse U., Yankees, E-A-G-L-E-S

Old Indian saying...When riding a dead horse, by all means dismount...

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Go up to the fire ring is fine.  

They say 350°, but I don't think I followed that.  

Cook a butt first for low and slow.  Very forgiving meat that you'll get instant success from, more than likely.  

I do recommend getting to know it first.  Fill it, light it, and play with the vents.  Bottom is macro, top is micro.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Anything chicken or pork is a good start and really shines no matter what cooking format you're transitioning from.  

Congrats and enjoy the process!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  The search function here will yield lots of threads on about any topic you may be interested in.  Above all, have fun.
    Edit:  cook something that was a favorite on a prior grill and notice the difference (if any).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I agree with Tarheelmatt. Don't worry about the 350 degrees. It's only for the gasket. The gasket will come off at some point or another down the road no matter how much you baby it. Ask away with questions. Always someone to help 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Welcome to the Group. The others above have you covered.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    First thing you need to do is put your credit cards in a safe deposit box. This place will spend your money so fast your head will spin. 

Second, fire it up and cook a fatty. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Yo_EGGcellency
    Options
    … I shared your eggcitement not too long ago. Personally, I did three burns (no food) under 350° just to acclimate myself with the vents. Patience, Grasshopper … you're gonna luv it. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Welcome, welcome!

Put your City and State in your signature line.  Also, adding your cooking equipment in there helps others help you.

Have fun!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Sort of the same thing at Tarheelmatt said, think of the bottom vent as the gas and the top vent as the brake.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Congrats coming aboard to the family!!!  My 1st cook was the America's Favorite...Hot dogs/hamburgers...
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    First congrats!  Did a butt the first cook. Load your lump up to fire ring or you'll end up like me at 5 in the morn reloading!  Wait for good smoke!  Also don't get to attached to your visa! 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Welcome brother... others got you covered 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • drumdudeguy
    Options

Welcome!

Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    Welcome!
    LBGE
    AL
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Have fun and if you are going to cook scrapple in your new large, get a cast iron skillet. :)  
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Yeah, the least expensive aspect of owning a BGE is the initial purchase. Everything that follows is where you will see your life savings dwindle to nothing.
    Worth every penny.
    Have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited September 2017
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Yeah, the least expensive aspect of owning a BGE is the initial purchase. Everything that follows is where you will see your life savings dwindle to nothing.
    Worth every penny.
    Have fun.
    You don't need 3/4 of the crap that people on here swear by. If you don't get caught up in the forum "must haves", it's not overly expensive. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Just fire it up and play with the vents for a couple hours to start getting a feel for temp control. Wait 15 or 20 minutes between changes, it's not immediate. Then throw some chicken on, easy and cheap.
    Jacksonville FL
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Welcome. I recommend getting a thermopen or similar. 

XL BGE
    MD