Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

End of Summer 2017 Party

Shelly and I typically have one big ho down about once a year. So a few weeks ago we decided on a “Cook Your Own Pizza” party. Got everything around the house and yard all spic and span for the get together. I put up my three 10x10 popups and one 10x20. I pulled out every camp chair I own and half my coolers. One full of bottled water, one full of ICE for the Margarita machine (RTIC 20), one with 60lbs of backup ICE and my RTIC 65 with what beer I had on hand. Hoping it would be empty by the end of the night.   I have four Big Green Eggs, 1 Mini, 2 MiniMax and 1 Large. All loaded with fresh lump ready to go. I had the Shirley on deck and ready to light. This being my first cook on her we did not let everybody know we were planning to cook on it. So we went simple with some nice meaty baby backs fully rubbed with my favorite, It’s My Rub Power Blend, made by Kelley and Bruce Underwood. Picked up four Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage chubs and also a ring of Brisket sausage and a ring of 3 Pepper sausage for the Shirley.  Knowing full well the first cook must have Nakid Fatties!!    

It’s 10:30 am and the Shirley is lit, slowly cruising up to temp and waiting on clear smoke. She settles in at about 250 on the River Bend gauge. I got busy setting up and an hour or so went by. Anyway ribs are going on. Was adding a stick or two about every 40 minutes or so when I remembered to!!  So everything is now setup and ready to go.

It’s now 4:30 pm and a few of the 42 guests started to arrive, a bit late but here they came! Shelly manned the Margarita machine and was kicking them out pretty good rate. More guests showed up and now the party is on!  My fellow EggHead buddy William (Sancho65) and his wife Ella are the greatest! They jumped in and help all night long. He was manning the Eggs with me most of the night and Ella was Shelly’s right hand. We could not have done this without them. Thanks guys we sure do appreciate all that you do.

I figured we could cook 4-5 of the 9” at a time. So Shelly had the kitchen island setup with all the pizza fixn’s.  Two or three guests at a time would plate the dough on the pizza pan and build their own pizzas. Then bring them outside to cook on the Eggs. All four Eggs rolling at 500 degrees and average cook time was 7-8 minutes. Some of the later pies were loaded as high as they were wide. I think we were having a “To Many” Margarita problem. Never the less we got them done. We had 40 pizza doughs to start with and we were left with 5. So 35 done and delivered.

Now Miss Shirley (New Offset Cooker) delivered up some of the best ever tasting baby back ribs I have ever cooked. All who were able to grab a few bones were truly amazed at how tender and full of flavor they were. Everyone had said how great they were. Next off were the ring sausages from HEB. Both were outstanding but the 3 Pepper took the crowd as the best. And the finish was the Nakid Fatties. I bet I had to explain 25 times what a Nakid Fatties was. But they too were a big hit!

We had some great sides. My good neighbor Peggy from behind my back fence made an incredible Caesar Salad. It was gone before I got back into the kitchen. Another great neighbor Lisa had made a wonderful banana pudding cake.  It was amazing I’m told. Yep missed that one to.

The pool was set at 87 degrees and it ended up full of kids all night long. We finished up about 10:30 pm and said good night to the last guest. It was a lot of work but we had one hell of a good time with our good friends, family and neighbors. I believe they did also. I took a few pics and handed the phone to others to take a few when I got busy.

Please see pics below and thanks for looking!

My Grand son! Just wanted to cheese it up a bit!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments