Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Artesian Bread

Options
Followed @Stormbringer recipe:  https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/08/18/crusty-artisan-bread/

2nd time.  Made it last weekend in the small, this week in the large with a large air gap.  Awesome bread!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• GATraveller
    Options
    That looks great. Well done. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nice. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Very nice
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice ear!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Outstanding!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That is a nice loaf. And I agree - nice ear. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice loaf! How was the crumb?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    caliking said:

New to this bread stuff of ears and crumb. What is the crumb?  The bread was awesome.  Served with brats and sauerkraut.  The loaf is about gone as my wife keeps eating slices... I guess this will now be a weekly thing.  And, now I know why bakers get up so early!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • caliking
    Options
    smbishop said:
    caliking said:

New to this bread stuff of ears and crumb. What is the crumb?  The bread was awesome.  Served with brats and sauerkraut.  The loaf is about gone as my wife keeps eating slices... I guess this will now be a weekly thing.  And, now I know why bakers get up so early!
    That's the problem with fresh baked bread. It doesn't last long!

The crumb is the cross-section of the loaf. The bigger the holes, the more open the crumb. I prefer a less open crumb because I like to make sandwiches . And the butter doesn't drip through when eating hot toast :)

• smbishop
    Options
    caliking said:
    smbishop said:
    caliking said:

That's the problem with fresh baked bread. It doesn't last long!

The crumb is the cross-section of the loaf. The bigger the holes, the more open the crumb. I prefer a less open crumb because I like to make sandwiches . And the butter doesn't drip through when eating hot toast :)
    Here is a cross-section of what is left.  Seems good to me!  :)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Crumb looks good. Is this a commercial yeast risen bread? I'm not familiar with the recipe you stated you followed. The "ear" is 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Nice looking loaf, tho I was expecting something to be oozing out of it. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• smbishop
    Options
    Crumb looks good. Is this a commercial yeast risen bread? I'm not familiar with the recipe you stated you followed. The "ear" is 

Dry yeast packet...
  • caliking
    Options
    Pass the butter please...

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    I can almost hear the crackling as it cools...nice loaf!
    IL 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,070
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @smbishop well done, sir! And your wife sounds like my SWMBO ... fresh bread doesn't last that long. :)

@NPHuskerFL the recipe is from my food blog, it's a derivative of Ken Forkish's standard Saturday loaf. It does use commercial yeast, with practise I've managed to get it to have a looser crumb and lighter texture. I'm working on an enhancement to the technique which should give better rise and crumb, still using commercial yeast.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,070
    edited September 2017
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    I can almost hear the crackling as it cools...nice loaf!
    Our bread makes a lovely cracking sound as it cools, I do this by leaning it against the (now cooled) casserole dish and I guess the sound bounces off of the dish's exterior surface for maximum audibility.

It always freaks out the cats, they can't work out where it's coming from. :)

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• caliking
    Options
    @Stormbringer - enjoyed your blog. Subscribed :)