Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP Troy Gentry

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
I had a chance to see Montgomery Gentry a few times live. I always enjoyed their work. Way too young at 50 years old

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    edited September 2017
    You beat me to it.  

I like "our town" the best I think.

Lots of great tunes.  Good vocals.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Helicopter crash. That's rough. 

They were just getting popular when I was in college. After Knoxville shows they would pull their bus up to the bar I "frequented" and jump up on stage and play a few songs. They would hang and have a drink and talk to fans before leaving. Classy dudes in an industry of a$$holes. 

We lose the good guys but the world still has Bieber. Sad day, indeed. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Heartbroken
    XL - LG - 2 Mini Max
    Miami Fl.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Wow! :open_mouth:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Isn't that the guy that 'hunted' the captive bear?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Legume said:
    Aren't you the guy who attempts to speak ill of the dead? 
  • Legume
    Nevermind, I googled it.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Damn.
    RIP T-Roy

Steady pumped "Hillbilly Shoes" when it came out in '99.  Listening to it now actually. 
    Saw them with Chesney in '03, great show.

Like Petty, Cougar, always loved hearing their songs come over the radio when out on a country highway, gravel road, pullin' the camper...hammered down, windows down.  Small town America anthems.  Aldean kind of has that affect too, "smoke rollin' out the window, an ice cold beer sittin' in the console".  :)

"You want to judge me by the whiskey on my breath.  You think you know me, but you aint seen nothin' yet.  'Til you walk a while, a country mile...."
    https://youtu.be/ay9gtOzcA7s

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    RIP man...

We saw them at an outdoor concert with Hank Jr in '04. One hells of a show.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• I always thought Montgomery Gentry was one guy. Like Pink Floyd or Fleetwood Mac. Those guys are great. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume said:
    Nevermind, I googled it.
    Me too. Yikes. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • As an engineer who designs helicopters they are a volatile thing, personally I avoid them.  I was really sad to see him go, got to see them once and was one of the best concerts.  Prayers are with his family as the move forward from their loss.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    edited September 2017
    I have known a few people personally that once they reach a level of professional/financial success, they find hobbies or interest, that are sufficiently dangerous that they wind up getting killed. 

It's always a sad tragedy when something like this happens.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Legume said:
    Ever made a mistake?
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited September 2017
    Legume said:
    I am not familiar with the subject of this post, so my comment in no way relates to him.

I've never understood the concept of not speaking ill of the dead. Seems to me, you should live with your legacy in mind. Nice guys should be remembered as nice guys; this is wholly deserved. A**holes should carry the legacies they have deserved in the same fashion.
  • pgprescott
    Legume said:
    I am not familiar with the subject of this post, so my comment in no way relates to him.

I've never understood the concept of not speaking ill of the dead. Seems to me, you should live with your legacy in mind. Nice guys should be remembered as nice guys; this is wholly deserved. A**holes should carry the legacies they have deserved in the same fashion.
    I'm pretty sure nobody here knew him "personally". Certainly not the commenter. If you judge people by their worst day we are all in trouble I'd imagine. I don't know the subject at all. Just saying. 
  • Legume
    @pgprescott some days I think you just like to argue with people, maybe not your best days.  I'm probably wrong.

That is the sum total of what I know of Gentry and it was at the edge of my memory.  Maybe stop pretending to be the great defender of the deceased.  I haven't bad mouthed or disrespected him.  I don't begrudge anyone being a fan of his or missing him or his music.  It's news, right?
  • pgprescott
    Legume said:
    @pgprescott some days I think you just like to argue with people, maybe not your best days.  I'm probably wrong.

That is the sum total of what I know of Gentry and it was at the edge of my memory.  Maybe stop pretending to be the great defender of the deceased.  I haven't bad mouthed or disrespected him.  I don't begrudge anyone being a fan of his or missing him or his music.  It's news, right?
    Sorry. I was just responding to the post. I will leave it at that. 
  • Dude's dead. He don't give a flying fvck what's said about him in a BBQ forum.  I'll leave it at that. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Jesus. I just read the bear story. 

What an ass*ole. 

But, may he Rest In Peace just the same. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX