Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I doing brisket correctly?

Options
Going to cook a brisket tomorrow have cooked one before but been awhile.  Here is my plan please correct or advise

i have a flat

1) should I coat with yellow mustard on before I coat with rub like I do butt?
2) should I use drip pain with apple juice?

3) planning on cooking on 235 indirect with mixture of pecan and mesquite wood and let flame boss do the work. Flat cap down

4). Should I flip over 4 hrs into cook

5). Was going to cook two more hours or until it reaches 165-170

6). Pull double wrap in foil and pour pott of coffee over top?  How much coffee? Then place back on egg 

7). Was going to pull at 195

8). After pulling do I wrap in beach towel and putt in cooler for a few hours?  Or since this is beef will it continue to cook and dry it out

thanks in advance for input and advise

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

i have a flat

No.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It'll be fine. Not a purist approach for sure. If it tastes good then it's good. The pan of liquid is definitely not needed at all. Enjoy!
  • CoachWiggs
    Options
    The. What would you suggest?
  • bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    I would not flip or wrap. The water pan is not needed. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • CoachWiggs
    Options
    So do not pour coffee on it?  What about wood flavor that good?  Also what about covering in mustard before rub?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Those are not traditional either, but the coffee braise might be good imo if it's a lean flat. Hard to say. The mustard won't hurt or help really. Give it a whirl. 
  • bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    The mustard is more to give the rub something to stick too. You could you olive oil or water. The pairing of pecan and mesquite is interesting. Pecan can be considered sweet and mesquite can be considered bitter. My concern is they could clash.  
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Google... Brisket, how I do it 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,689
    Options
    But never google @henapple and bacon

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    the Aaron franklin videos are a great starting point 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    One of the better flats I have done.  I think the injection and wrap helped it. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1176127/did-a-brisket-flat-last-night-forgot-to-post-it#latest
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,526
    Options
    Here's link to a recipe that has had reportedly good results:
    http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/brisket-flat/  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,987
    edited September 2017
    Options
    well- sounds like a lot of work to me but you could do all those things. 

I don't cook flats but but if that's what you have, then do that. 

Mustard? Sure but not necessary. 

Apple juice? not my jam and not sure it would add anything. Shouldn't hurt so knock yourself out 

235? Too low for me. Im 260-275 in a bge. But again, all good if you like 2hr per lb cooks. Won't hurt. 

Flip after 4 hours? No but won't help or hurt. 

Fat cap up/down- if you can tell a difference you are a better brisketeer than me. I go up but that's how I learned. Ive gone fat cap down when super drunk and it was edible. 

Wrap? I generally don't but depends on what you want to do. Speed the cook? Wrap it. Bark too dark? (can't happen at 235) wrap it. Don't know why you are wrapping? Don't do it. 

Coffee? Not for me but if you have a plan and that's part of it, go for it. 

Pull at 195? This is the only place I can offer something that may make a difference. Don't pull by temp but by feel. When you can stuck a probe through top to bottom with ease, it's ready. That is usually 200-205for me. Almost never 195. 

Cooler? Depends on if you are ready to eat. If you are and you wrapped it, crack the foil and let it sit out for about an hour while it cools to around 125-140. If you slice when too hot,  the texture sucks. If you need to hold it in a cooler for the sake of time, let it sit out until the temp starts going down by a few degrees then put in a cooler. Towels are optional  

if I were telling you how to do it, I would tell you to use a little mustard as a binder, liberally add your favorite rub, cook at 260-275 for about an hour per lb, pull when it softens up (around 200), let cool until you can handle with your hands and then slice across the grain and serve. 

But thats just me 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And the wood is fine. I use oak for beef but Mesquite and pecan are very common for brisket. Hickory, Apple, cherry all acceptable if that's what you gave to work with. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    well- sounds like a lot of work to me but you could do all those things. 

I don't cook flats but but if that's what you have, then do that. 

Mustard? Sure but not necessary. 

Apple juice? not my jam and not sure it would add anything. Shouldn't hurt so knock yourself out 

235? Too low for me. Im 260-275 in a bge. But again, all good if you like 2hr per lb cooks. Won't hurt. 

Flip after 4 hours? No but won't help or hurt. 

Fat cap up/down- if you can tell a difference you are a better brisketeer than me. I go up but that's how I learned. Ive gone fat cap down when super drunk and it was edible. 

Wrap? I generally don't but depends on what you want to do. Speed the cook? Wrap it. Bark too dark? (can't happen at 235) wrap it. Don't know why you are wrapping? Don't do it. 

Coffee? Not for me but if you have a plan and that's part of it, go for it. 

Pull at 195? This is the only place I can offer something that may make a difference. Don't pull by temp but by feel. When you can stuck a probe through top to bottom with ease, it's ready. That is usually 200-205for me. Almost never 195. 

Cooler? Depends on if you are ready to eat. If you are and you wrapped it, crack the foil and let it sit out for about an hour while it cools to around 125-140. If you slice when too hot,  the texture sucks. If you need to hold it in a cooler for the sake of time, let it sit out until the temp starts going down by a few degrees then put in a cooler. Towels are optional  

if I were telling you how to do it, I would tell you to use a little mustard as a binder, liberally add your favorite rub, cook at 260-275 for about an hour per lb, pull when it softens up (around 200), let cool until you can handle with your hands and then slice across the grain and serve. 

But thats just me 

And the wood is fine. I use oak for beef but Mesquite and pecan are very common for brisket. Hickory, Apple, cherry all acceptable if that's what you gave to work with. 
    As if this guy knows about brisket...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker