Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: New Fire Pit (Flamethrower Safe)

Options
I split a ton of firewood early this year when my dad dropped some big oaks at his new house. 

I've been wanting to build a fire pit but it's been so dang hot I have lacked the initiative. 

The low is supposed to be in the 40s tonight so I took a "weekend" day from work and built this thing. Nothing fancy. No mortar. Crude measurements. Just dug out the bottom, leveled in sand, tossed some scrap brick for a base and floor and tossed some pavers together. 

Figured I needed a better backstop for the flamethrower. 

Now I've got something to keep me warm while I Egg this fall. There is a park near my house (see lights below) where they play baseball all Fall. Just close enough to hear the faint crack of a bat and a cheer of a crowd.  Good times to come.  

Well I'm smoked.  Time for a drink and bed.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Very nice.  That chair between the egg and the pit will be perfect on some cool nights.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A fire-pit is a place for great conversation among friends.....and you are bound to have a few beverages there as well. Enjoy....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I like it a lot Adam. Enjoy these unseasonably cool evenings we're having in the south brother. Nice set up!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I dig the tapered wall.  See so many firepits pits enclosed or dug in, no air flow.  The heat will bounce off the back wall too.  Nicely done.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    That's cool - or warm I guess.  Good job!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You've got a cozy eggdom there. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Love the design. I like the Rock without mortar as well. Much better airflow, and burns to ash much easier.

I built mine, as a dug out, pit. 42 inches round by 42 inches deep. I used large gravel to back fill and level, and let the rain wash through the ash and charcoal as a filter. I do not burn anything else in the pit but firewood, and it was a struggle with the children to keep them from throwing stuff in there to "watch it melt."

I occasionally collect some of the ash and add it to the compost pile in back or pitch into some of the flower beds, In the winter.

We enjoy ours, and use it frequently. You are going to love yours. Good times ahead for you.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Focker said:
    I dig the tapered wall.  See so many firepits pits enclosed or dug in, no air flow.  The heat will bounce off the back wall too. 
    @Focker yeah I did the backer wall to reflect heat and force a little draw on the smoke so it wouldn't just blow straight toward the concrete pad. 

Also to keep munchkins from accidentally running in it while playing in the yard. 

YukonRon said:
    Love the design. I like the Rock without mortar as well. Much better airflow, and burns to ash much easier.

I do not burn anything else in the pit but firewood, and it was a struggle with the children to keep them from throwing stuff in there to "watch it melt"

It seemed to help a little. Fire burned straight up all night, even with wind. 

I said at 5pm last night, "I'm going to make sure this thing doesn't become a trash pit like my old funky college firepits."

By 8pm my 3 year old threw a water bottle in it. 

Up hill battle Im guessing. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    You know, with a leaf blower you can turn empty beer bottles into "art" in that pit.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Nice, Adam!!  Good work!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    very nice.  I'm jealous
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I like the roomy-ness and accessibility.  

I've wanted to build one myself for sometime now and you've given me a great way to build mine.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Stuss
    Stuss Posts: 75
    Options
    Thats nice Clark……Real Nice!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Nice.  One of the first things I did when I moved in my house was dig a firepit in the backyard and line it with rocks.  We light a fire regularly, but still not as often as I'd like. 

Great egging patio as well.  You have nice space for the SS prep table and such.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    I'd drink a bourbon out there with ya some night - looks awesome!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...